CPVC and Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I've been searching for "just the right thing" for a scratch build idea I've got in my head. Today I think I found it, but...........the pieces in question are CPVC material. As some of you may know, epoxy doesn't stick well (if at all) to this stuff. There is special glue made for it, which is fine for gluing up other CPVC bits in plumbing situations. But my application will be gluing it to paper/Blue airframe tubing, AC ply, and such. Plus I will likely be using a fair bit of bondo/putty to make transitions smooth and pretty. And it seems like filled epoxy will NOT do the trick.

Any suggestions? Anyone know of a particular epoxy (that can be filled), or some alternative, that will work?

thanks in advance, s6

I've used JB Weld with CPVC and it works great. I glued short pieces to the av bay bulkhead for charge wells. They haven't broke off yet.

Thanks Bill.
Thanks Bill.

Tried the local plumbing store and they had Hercules brand, but NOT the actual stuff that you listed. It said "bonds SOME plastics", which to me is code for "all plastics EXCEPT PVC", so I didn't get it. I noticed that JB Weld should work, but for some reason I always end up with a major mess when I use it, so I'm avoiding it for now. Today I found a DEVCON waterproof type (that is supposed to bond PVC) that says 15-30 mins. handling, sets in 1-2 hours, which is just about right for this application. I bought a small bit and I'm giving it a test tonight. We'll see how it goes.

s6

Rough up the PVC before applying the epoxy. I use the coarsest sanding drum I have. All you really want to do is knock off the shine. I have a 20 year old hi power rocket that used PVC and wood with no problems at all.

Back