Finishing discovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
I have been looking for a finish technique for the dyed (black and other) FW fiberglass and bare carbon fiber. I haven't been happy with Future Finish which I normally use on painted rockets; although OK, it adds weight (often "no paint" is done for a reason, i.e., high performance, so why add a layer of clear). In any case I just found something I like (well so far). It is the Armor All Extreme Tire Shine. It says to put it on then let it dry. I actually wipe the excess off (again weight), but it still looks great and highlights the underlying texture of the FG or CF.

20131016_095907.jpg 20131016_095940.jpg

That looks great, I will give it a try. I always use regular armor all on all my Formula rockets.

Been intrigued with this since you posted Tim. Weight negated, any thoughts on how this would look vs. Future or a clear coat on a painted finish? Just curious. Not quite brave enough to just try it for myself yet.

Been intrigued with this since you posted Tim. Weight negated, any thoughts on how this would look vs. Future or a clear coat on a painted finish? Just curious. Not quite brave enough to just try it for myself yet.

Probably wouldn't. This is really more of a conditioner of the surface and UV protectant. It wouldn't provide any protective coat on the paint in a traditional sense.

If you need to do repairs at some point, you might find that to be exceedingly difficult. Armor-all likely greatly inhibits bonding.

Gerald

If you need to do repairs at some point, you might find that to be exceedingly difficult. Armor-all likely greatly inhibits bonding.

Gerald

Acetone is a wonderful thing.

Once the Armor-All gets into the substrate it never comes out.. Repairs.. maybe.. paint.. FISH EYES!

Grim

Is it UV-protectant? That would be a good thing for composite rockets.

Back