Ceiling Pusher 29 -- A Mach Busting 29mm Minimum-Diameter Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
Hello TRF,

This is the build thread for one of my next projects: A 29mm minimum-diameter Mach busting downscale of a rocket named Ceiling Pusher I saw at one of our club launches.

Here are a few photos I took of the original rocket.
image-3263655.jpgimage-3726977665.jpg

The guy who owns the rocket (known as rms on the forum) was kind enough to make me some carbon fiber fins for the project, as I lack the skills/tools to do so at the moment:
SDC16300.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the downscaled rocket in OpenRocket:
attachment.php

The actual build won't get started for a little while. I still need to fine tune the OR file as best as I can.

Also, will regular cardboard tube be sufficient to use as a body tube for this project? My goal with this project is for the rocket to as good a downscale from the original as possible, while maintaining the capability to break mach one using a single use G80. According to OpenRocket if I want to break mach, my only two feasible airframe options would be to use cardboard or phenolic tube as the the airframe. Blue Tube, Fiberglass, and such is too heavy.

The only major appearance change from the original (besides the size obviously) will be a shorter nose, as I can't find a 29mm cone thats long enough (shockwave sells one, but it's expensive).

This rocket unfortunately, will probably get lost on the first flight as there will be no tracker onboard, but I will do my very best to make it as visible as possible (Mylar streamer, chalk, etc).

I'll post the OR file when it's completely finished.

Thanks for looking, comments/criticisms are welcome.

Sebastian

Attachments

• CP2.jpg
    CP2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 295
One who is macho enough would throw an H410 or H399 up its butt and hit the button...

;)

oh man, that rocket looks cool, cant wait to see it getting built, can you give me details on this chalk, you got a link? I've never thought of chalk, but now I do that could be an awesome material to use for tracking. How is it dispesrsed & what holds it, questons on how it works.

Hello TRF, ...

Also, will regular cardboard tube be sufficient to use as a body tube for this project? My goal with this project is for the rocket to as good a downscale from the original as possible, while maintaining the capability to break mach one using a single use G80. According to OpenRocket if I want to break mach, my only two feasible airframe options would be to use cardboard or phenolic tube as the the airframe. Blue Tube, Fiberglass, and such is too heavy.
Sebastian

I believe regular 29mm cardboard motor tube will be plenty strong with out any reinforcement. Especially if you plan to fly it on a G80. The most difficult aspect will be to keep the fins on. You may want to have a look at the Apogee Aspire rocket to get some more ideas. :)

This looks like a cool project, something I've thought of trying, any progress since Oct.?
using chopped CF fillets (I think Alex (AKSRockets) did a thread on how to make them somewhere) may be able to help keep the fins on.

oh man, that rocket looks cool, cant wait to see it getting built, can you give me details on this chalk, you got a link? I've never thought of chalk, but now I do that could be an awesome material to use for tracking. How is it dispesrsed & what holds it, questons on how it works.

I use chalk powder in my 29mm minimum diameter on every flight, it works great. This is what I do:

- Mix 50/50 red carpenter's chalk powder and talcum powder in a cup.
- After packing the streamer, put a piece of tissue paper on top of the packed streamer. This prevents the streamer from getting covered in red chalk powder.
- Dump 2 or 3 tablespoons of the powder in the tube then put on the nose cone.

It makes a red cloud at ejection that is easily visible for about 5 seconds before it dissipates. I also use a 15' x 1' mylar streamer also makes it very easy to track during descent. The highest I have flown it so far was about 3400 ft on a F50. I plan to fly it on a G80 at Red Glare.

Ill be following, as usual.

First MD was just a 29MM plastic nosecone, 1/8 ply fins and a LOC paper tube. i flew it 3 times, each time on a SU G motor. I think the videos are on my Youtube channel.
Small MDs are much easier to hold togeather then most people realize. Youd have to use really flimsy materials to shred one.
Youre on the right track!

Alex

Thanks CRC, Nute/Nate, Alex, and the rest! I'll admit I was a little surprised to see this thread get revived! I'm glad it has, as It's given me some initiative to get this build underway.

Since the first post, I haven't done anything towards this project. Life just gets in the way, and I've also been busy working on other rocketry related projects (specifically repairing my Firelight).

I still have to order a few more things for my Shape Shifter Jr build, and at the same time I'll order an airframe for this project. Based on Alex's post I think I'll go with cardboard; as it's cheaper and increases my chances of breaking mach on a G80. I'll be attaching the fins with Rocketpoxy.

two things other than chalk. Flour and baby powder. The baby powder makes things slip a little better.

For 29mm MD do you need anything more than friction fit and maybe tape on the rear end to retain the motor?

I use the Orange carpenters chalk all the time. Much more visible then baby powder. Washes right off of carbon fiber. Here is my 29mm screamer. I set the Tripoli altitude record and held it for almost a month. :lol:
I can't wait to reclaim it. I was forced to fly in 10mph winds and it really cut my altitude almost in half.

X-104 Morganza Project1.JPG
100_8718.jpg

Holy crap! That's pretty high! Congrats! Who is BRB and what is surveyors tape? (Have you done this with 2" x 100" material before? Doesn't it come in a bit hot?)

Yep, comes in a bit hot but survivable. Surveyors tape is that orange 1" wide tape that surveyors use to mark stakes. You can buy it at Home Depot for $1.50 a roll. makes great streamers. It has a reflective component to it as well.
BRB = Big Red Bee. https://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLine.htm

I have found a few things with flying my birds, Mind you, 90% of My rockets usually are a one way trip, Last year I focused on seeing what worked and what didn't. Chalk, YES, Mylar reflective Streamer, 100% YES !!!

1- The Red Chalk found a home depo does NOT have to be mixed with baby powder, I put wadding in the tube, then load up the chalk, then more wadding, then more chalk, The ticket or the goal is you WANT to see the red "cloud" at ejection for reference as you follow the bird down. I also made a "chalk deployment canister system of out a spare "C" motor mount and attached that to the nose cone, and had a hole in the bottom, as the nose cone bounced around it left red puffs along the way.

2- Now this is the MOST critical thing I have found to be helpful, not only do I have Streamers, but I also have Mylar reflective streamers !!! When they are fluttering down, there is NO way a blind person could miss the bird, every movement is a shimmer of light and a twinkle, The best part is when the rocket lands you can usually see the shimmer from a distance so your not searching all over.
Hope that helps and If there is any questions I can give you more info !!

@ the 2:00 mark you can see the red power ejection if you watch closely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyLGhNN6g4o

Last edited:
That's the actual stuff that I use. I love it. Wont launch with out it. Even with the low power stuff it works great.

Back