Bag o' Parts: Contest Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just using that as an example. It is the plastic cap on a shaving cream can.

Start thinking about your parts. On Nov 1, we will post out parts are then start.

Yeah, I have been thinking of parts. From useful to inane... In reality, I probably won't decide what I am posting until I see what others have posted. And then somebody will go and post the same thing while I am fighting with the blasted camera.

The concept is you build a rocket from junk laying around the house. You must use the items named in this thread. It is sort of a trash rocket. You can add additional items for example body tubes, motor mount, or a nose cone. Each person would post a picture of a single item to use to build the rocket.Example list of items:
You can add any items to this list you need to finish your rocket but you must use at least 75% of the items on the list or at least 6 of the 8 items.
We each post 1(one) item on the 1st? each of us have to either have or acquire the other items that have been posted on the 1st?.

Ok, here we go. We can start now. I thought about the start date and it did not make sense.

Each member of the contest posts a picture of a common household item that could be used to build a rocket. Something that is easily identifiable. Each member of the contest comes up with a design and posts a build thread.

Rules:
1) it must fly and be stable WITH a successful recovery.
2) It must used 75% of them items posted (it can include multiples of any of the items). Example - paper towel core roll: You could use more than one.
3) You must do a build thread.
4) You must use your item.
5) Have fun.

Contest ends 1 January. Start posting the list.

So, does everybody have to use the same Parts? Or, do they just have to post the Part they are going to use? I still don't grasp the Concept, and this is my second time reading this Thread. Maybe I'm simple minded?

So, does everybody have to use the same Parts? Or, do they just have to post the Part they are going to use? I still don't grasp the Concept, and this is my second time reading this Thread. Maybe I'm simple minded?

You have to use 75% of the total parts. If there are 12 entrants, you must use 9 of the parts posted by the entrants. The 9 parts must also include your own posted part.

Ok. 8 hours on a plane got me thinking. I'll start with a pair of underwear...

How much of the rocket may be built from materials NOT on the list?

Yeah, I know.. we must use at least 75% of the items on the list. But what about materials that are not on the list?

For my item: I need to wait on the outcome of that question.

Last edited:
How much of the rocket may be built from materials NOT on the list?

Yeah, I know.. we must use at least 75% of the items on the list. But what about materials that are not on the list?

For my item: I need to wait on the outcome of that question.

Ok. You can use as many items outside the list as you want. To explain the 75%: You do not have to use 75% of an individual time. If there are 12 items listed, you must use a portion of 75% of them total items listed. For example, you might only use 2 inches of the Pringles can as a baffle.

Ok. You can use as many items outside the list as you want. To explain the 75%: You do not have to use 75% of an individual time. If there are 12 items listed, you must use a portion of 75% of them total items listed. For example, you might only use 2 inches of the Pringles can as a baffle.

I figured that we would only have to use 3 out of every 4 items on the list. I just wanted to make sure we weren't limited to just those items. While I don't want to see a rocket that is mostly built out of regular parts with a few odds and ends tacked on to satisfy the contest, I also don't want to launch a rocket that is depending on bubble gum and popsicle sticks for a motor mount or nosecone. So, I was looking to see if we needed a clarification that said at least x percent of the rocket should be made from the parts on the list.

With that being said, is a foam core presentation or craft board a common enough item for the list? Sorry, it feels like we always have foam core board sitting around - but that could just be my home where we everyone does crafts and there is often a school project going on.

Foam core board is ok. Remember, you must post a pic of your Item to enter.

How about a possible nosecone?

parts.jpg

I hope to participate - just concerned with getting a flight in. 1 January is winter here - I am not going to fly if it is 10 below, blizzard, with 2+ feet of snow on the ground....

By the way, when is the deadline for posting parts? Since we need to use 75% of the parts we need to know what the total part list will be.

Thanks
Les

So we are in the "propose" items phase. Correct? Once there are at least X items proposed we choose at least 3/4 of the items for our designs (8 for example if 12 were the final number or 12 if 16 was the final number) and get started yes? We can pick any items we want, but we must incorporate no less than 75%. So there does need to be a reasonable cutoff. No one wants to have to use 30 items. :)

Sounds interesting. :)

I propose the (boring?) plastic Champagne glasses. Any style either tall (flute) or the wide. You can use the bases, stems, and/or the bowl, or all. But it still only counts as one item from the list. Is that an acceptable item?

Last edited:
How about a possible nosecone?

View attachment 150465

I hope to participate - just concerned with getting a flight in. 1 January is winter here - I am not going to fly if it is 10 below, blizzard, with 2+ feet of snow on the ground....
Thats a "Go For Launch" day around here some winters...:lol:

November 14 sounds like a good cut off.

Foam board - can be tri-fold, bi-fold, single sheet, Elmer's or not, color doesn't matter.

This is what I will be using:
715QVCTc9-L._SL1500_.jpg

If you post a picture of underwear, make them clean ones. No stains or Victoria Secrets - this is a family forum.

Back