Bag o' Parts: Contest Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
What do you think about a bag of parts rocket building contest?

Here is the idea: each entry posts a parts that can be utilized to buid a rockey and once the build starts you ahve to use 75% or more of the parts to build your rocket - best rocket wins.

Last edited:
I am very will to participate and I have a couple prizes to offer up. I recently cleaned up hobby lobby's clearance isle.

Here is the idea: each entry posts a parts that can be utilized to buid a rockey and once the build starts you ahve to use 75% or more of the parts to build your rocket - best rocket wins.

Chuck, can you go into more detail please, there were several typos and I dont really get the idea here.

Methinks it would be cool, if I had a little more description...

Add me to the calls for details, but I think this could be one I'd get in on.

Here is the idea: each entry posts a parts that can be utilized to buid a rockey and once the build starts you have to use 75% or more of the parts to build your rocket - best rocket wins.

So here is my idea: Each member of the contest posts a picture of a household item that could be used to build a rocket. Something that is easily identifiable. Each member of the contest comes up with a design and posts a build thread.

Rules:
1) it must fly and be stable WITH a successful recover.
2) It must used 75% of them items posted (it can include multiples). Example - paper towel core roll: You could use more than one.
3) You must do a build thread.

EMRR did this a number of years ago and it was pretty fun. It was on more the model size (A through D motors) and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, mine failed miserably and I just gave up. The bad things about a contest like this is now I have all these little parts and scraps that are too small to be really useful but just big enough that I don't want to pitch them.

And here is the archive of it:

https://archive.rocketreviews.com/contests/contest_box-o-parts_2009.shtml

Well, it used to be EMRR it's just Rocket Reviews now.

Last edited:
Sounds fun as long as the items are truly readily available and we aren't looking at having to use large motors to get the behemoth off of the pad. Some of us aren't L3 (or even L2) yet. Now the idea of a build thread is scary...

I like it, as long as we have sufficient build time...i.e a few months. Maybe an over the winter thing. I only get to launch once a month, and then only up to mid power. Not that my participation is vital, but others may have similar restrictions.

In general I love the idea. Thanks for (potentially) organizing this, Chuck.

I will organize it and provide the prize. I have a brand new Adept 22 in the bag. I have a couple other items.

So each participant posts a piece, and all of the pieces have to be used to build a rocket...... Hmmmm...could get interesting

I would say 75% - but I am ok with 100%. I think if you use all parts but not 100 % of them is ok. For example, you may use a toilet paper tube to make a centering ring, but not 100% of the tube.

yes, if you name them. eavh person gets to name on item. We start 1 nov.

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the concept. Can someone please "splain" it to me in small words? :confused: :facepalm:

The concept is you build a rocket from junk laying around the house. You must use the items named in this thread. It is sort of a trash rocket. You can add additional items for example body tubes, motor mount, or a nose cone. Each person would post a picture of a single item to use to build the rocket.

Example list of items:
1) ping pong ball
2) toilet paper roll
3) champagne glass (plastic)
4) paper clip
5) shaving can lid
6) plastic spoon
7) mailing box
8) plastic egg

You can add any items to this list you need to finish your rocket but you must use at least 75% of the items on the list or at least 6 of the 8 items.

Earlier somebody said 100%. Lets keep it at no more than 75% of the things listed. I would say on your list you used as an example, I only have 50% of the things listed. This will be less fun if I have to go buy a bunch of stuff that I don't have at home and then be stuck with a pack of stuff I won't ever use again. I am not even sure what a shaving can lid is. Are you talking about the plastic cap off of a can of shaving goo? (Sorry, I use soaps and a brush.. I can only guess that is what you mean) I suppose the need to go run out and get stuff will depend on how creative people are in their proposed items. I was just shocked to see that I only have 1/2 of those items in your sample list.

This was an example list. When we do the real list, you will post a picture and description of your addition to the list.

I would not want to limit someone from using all the items if they can figure out a way to do it. I am ok with a lower number. What do you all think the minimum % should be?

I can live with 75% and I feel that is a good goal. I just was worried when I saw 100% tossed about. As long as they are fairly common to find items, I plan on trying to go for 100% myself. However, that being said, it will all depend on what is posted.

I am ok with a rule that they have to be fairly common household items.

Great idea! Would they be LPR, MPR or HPR, or is that up to the builder?

I would like to suggest an additional rule. The item that you add to the list, you must use in your rocket.

That is an awesome rule. You can adjust or use part of the item. Example: part of a dowel but not the whole thing. Part of a dixie cup but not all of it.

Last edited:
I think a start date of 1 Nov with a completion date of NLT 1 January. This gives you the holidays.

Like the idea, I think the posting of a build thread adds some challenges to it. How does one get on to the list to participate?

Start thinking about your parts. On Nov 1, we will post out parts are then start.

Back