CRC Mid Power Rocket builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JP!! Yes it is certainly more building then most estes kits, but I enjoy the build the most so it's a great kit for me.

My QCC is now named Stretch. Here is a pic of the parts I'm using & progress I've made.
I got the baffle made & 2 fins done,done, done & 1 fin each done,done & done ;) (see my wifes away thread for referance)
I got tubes cut & final size determined......It will be 5" longer then stock & have a payload bay.
I also got my SC bulkhead made with eyehook in.
Picture 4468.jpg

Thanks JP!! Yes it is certainly more building then most estes kits, but I enjoy the build the most so it's a great kit for me.

My QCC is now named Stretch. Here is a pic of the parts I'm using & progress I've made.
I got the baffle made & 2 fins done,done, done & 1 fin each done,done & done ;) (see my wifes away thread for referance)
I got tubes cut & final size determined......It will be 5" longer then stock & have a payload bay.
I also got my SC bulkhead made with eyehook in.
View attachment 166313

Can hardly wait to see this one done. I really like those fins. I'll put this one on my future list
of rockets to build. Matter of fact, I'm going to order one today. Just went and looked at the price.
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/qcc_explorer.htm
$11.99! ACSupply has a sale on Estes Rockets.
Got it ordered. Thanks for the post CRC, you inspired me! I've got an extra 18" section of 2.6" tube and a coupler.
I may stretch mine out as well.
I might order the Conquest too. Conquest.jpg
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/7230_estes_conquest.html

JP

Last edited:
Can hardly wait to see this one done. I really like those fins. I'll put this one on my future list
of rockets to build. Matter of fact, I'm going to order one today. Just went and looked at the price.
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/qcc_explorer.htm
$11.99! ACSupply has a sale on Estes Rockets.
Got it ordered. Thanks for the post CRC, you inspired me! I've got an extra 18" section of 2.6" tube and a coupler.
I may stretch mine out as well.
I might order the Conquest too. View attachment 166489
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/7230_estes_conquest.html

JP

Ya 11.99, jump on that, that a great price to a Canuck like me. Ya I just got the new cataloge & saw that Conquest..... Looks like an awesome rocket that I too want!
Biggest reason I stretched mine is cause I wanted a seperate payload bay & I like the bit of weight & drag it adds to be able to pull the chute out(just wish i could alway do this) Plus as a bonus it's bigger then most QCC's :D

Here is a vid i just made of the maiden launches of 5 rockets.
https://youtu.be/ssiFp15su2A

I have not made alot of progress on stretch(QCC) but I did get the baffle glued in, the seam filled & sanded & one fin tacked on.
I was about to start my newest build, but realized it will be a bit more work then I thought, since I'll have more mods to do on it then I thought, 2 hints what I'm doing plus the stock parts picture.
A) it's in this forum & B) if you still dont get what I'm doing or know me, here is a pic.....stock on left, upgrade on right.
Picture 4478.jpgPicture 4475.jpg
Picture 4476.jpgPicture 4477.jpg

Ok sticking with the quest future launch vehicle, I got the centering rings cut out to accomidate a 24mm MM, then I got the motor mount glued together & then glued couplers onto the booster nose cones.
Then I figured I should upgrade the fins from cardstock to balsa, so I traced the fins out and cut them from balsa.
Thats enough for tonight, tomorrow I'll get another fin glued onto the QCC & the body wraps cut out for this quest rocket.
Picture 4483.jpgPicture 4484.jpgPicture 4485.jpgPicture 4486.jpg

One site has the QCC Explorer listed as a diameter of 2.6". Turns out it's 1.64".
That's cool. I was hoping it was 2.6"... It's still a really cool looking rocket!

JP

Here is one update pic on Stretch(QCC) I got 2 fins glued on with wood glue & fillets on both sides.

the Quest F.L.V. I decided on nose cones & fin colour....silver. I also got those shoulders glued onto the booster nose cones.
Picture 4493.jpgPicture 4488.jpgPicture 4490.jpgPicture 4491.jpgPicture 4492.jpg

Nice!
I wonder if it's possible to make air flow through the fin structure?

JP

Thanks! lol thats what I first thought about....but while anything is possible, it would be a pain to do plus the structure would not be as strong, you would have to scratch build the airfoils/fins.

Thanks! lol thats what I first thought about....but while anything is possible, it would be a pain to do plus the structure would not be as strong, you would have to scratch build the airfoils/fins.
That's what I thought you'd say!
Oh well, just a passing thought.

JP

Here is a few more pics of the FLV, I got the nose cone on & fins attached to the booster tubes, also got 2 of the boosters attached to the BT, now just adding glue fillets. I have a feeling this rocket is going to go real fast/high.
Picture 4484.jpgPicture 4485.jpg

Well I got my FLV done....just in time to go to the HPR launch in Hanna, Alberta. My buddies cert rocket is ready & I got all my rockets packed including many rockets in this thread that have been waiting to fly all winter. Not sure if they will fly(due to weather) but they coming with me in hopes they will fly.
I'm also bringing several hundred dollars in motors so they can ALL fly if time allows. This is my & my clubs first launch we attended other then our own so we all that are going are very excited.
I'll be posting vid/vids on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRgw4gLuqtIu_CQ1XnSZHTA/videos as well as I'm sure I'll post a few pics here. I leave tomorrow morn for the 600km drive!!!!! Am I devoted or crazy? ;)
Picture 4487.jpg

So I'm back from my launch trip, I returned with a few less rockets..... Vagabond flew too nice & high & got lost, strange clouds(my first scratch build) suffered heavy damage to bt, but the whole fin can & payload bay/NC were saved so it will be rebuilt. Here is the video I made.
If you want to see BP E's blow up, watch the vid, we had 3 blow up due to the cold. Good thing is I got an excuse to buy a few more rockets :D
https://youtu.be/s9lqPDuyKZY

Awesome video!!!

Do you happen to know what any of the smoky motors were? There were some long burns there. I'm sorry to hear about Strange Clouds- that was a cool rocket!! Make sure you report the blown up E9s as a MESS report: https://www.nar.org/NARmessform.html

Nate

Thanks Nate, some of those motors yes, let me know at what time in vid & I'll try to tell you, but there was F-J smokey's launched. Strange clouds will fly again.
Here is a few pics of Stretch(QCC) I got the payload bay & nose cone painted & all fins are on the BT now. I got that new estes conquest coming along with a few other things you will all see later, I've decided to not replace my vagabond, it will have to live on in memory, I did get a few good flights out of her.
Picture 4488.jpgPicture 4489.jpgPicture 4490.jpg

My Qcc is letting base coat dry before I sand & repaint payload bay & I'm almost ready to prime the body. I finished nose cone.
So it's time to start on my next build......a modified 24mm min diameter, estes screaming eagle......(told you guys I was going to do it :) ) I'm doing this mainly cause I needed the kit to repair my original screaming eagle, but now I got that one repaired I can make this eagle really scream on an E30 or E15.
To start, my first mod was to lengthen the BT so I have more room & help move the CG forward. I used a leftover D engine tube & a motor spacer as the coupler. That will give me a few inches more length. I also started to get wings glued together.
I'm thinking I'll not use a engine hook & just friction fit motors.
Picture 4491.jpgPicture 4523.jpg

Update on my 2 currant builds.
Stretch(estes QCC)
I got some colour on it, sanded & repainted, I'm calling good enough, now I just got to let it dry & then paint next colour.

My 24mm min diameter estes screaming eagle is taking shape, I made a reinfoncment plate for the wings, got them glued & sanded,I'm thinking of adding dowels as well to where the wing & air vent join.... thoughts? As you can see this screaming eagle wont have any missiles.
Picture 4536.jpgPicture 4538.jpgPicture 4540.jpgPicture 4539.jpg

I've been making progress on my screaming eagle with the mods, I also finished my QCC I stretched out. I toyed with the idea of adding more paint/colours & decals, but I like the simpleness it has & to me it looks just right. Just got to clear coat it & tie the SC.
Picture 4542.jpgPicture 4548.jpg

I almost forgot to glue tailcone on the QCC :facepalm: but I didn't cause I saw it sitting with chute lol
My screaming eagle is getting close to first coat of primer, I got the dowels glued on I'm using for support, I also gave the fins a coat of glue to help stiffen things up. this thing has a date with a E12 when it's done then E15, then the E30 :dark:
Picture 4541.jpgPicture 4549.jpg

Looking very cool!
If be concerned about a shred on the Eagle with some of the faster motors but it looks like you've reinforced it enough- nice!

Thanks Nate! I think the eagle will hold up good, there is alot of surface area of fins/wings glued to the BT as well.

Onto my next build.......

This one will be my first Kitbash, inspired by Daddyisabar. I will start with these 4 kits, 3 estes vikings & an estes Vagabond.
Picture 4555.jpg

Hmm..... do I see some strap on boosters in the very near future?

Hmm..... do I see some strap on boosters in the very near future?

Hmmmm, lol I'm not giving it away yet, once I post the parts list picture it will be a bit more obvious what I'm doing, but first progress pics of my 24mm screaming eagle & a pic of strange clouds(my first scratch build) after being reborn(rebuilt)
screaming eagle is coming along, I still got some filling and sanding to do, but you can now see the profile with the dowels & wood I added onto the wings.
Picture 4556.jpgPicture 4557.jpgPicture 4558.jpg

Well I think it's time I post the mostly complete parts pic of my first Kitbash.....I got a name I think, but I also dont think it should be said out loud, since it's kinda R rated lol
I still got a few parts I'm not showing, but they will come later.
Picture 4561.jpg

I've been making progress on my screaming eagle with the mods, I also finished my QCC I stretched out. I toyed with the idea of adding more paint/colours & decals, but I like the simpleness it has & to me it looks just right. Just got to clear coat it & tie the SC.
View attachment 168632View attachment 168633
The Stretched QCC looks Awesome! I've got one still in it's package. I'll save it for a Winter project...

JP

Thanks JP, the vice pres of car(canadian ass. of rocketry) thinks I should put a H in it:y: lol I would but I want to see it again.

I've got my kitbash started, here is the vagabond fincan & the viking bt with thrust rings in em.
Picture 4565.jpgPicture 4566.jpg

I have been building, but that update will come later, but for now here is my newest video I made of our launch we held on Saturday.
https://youtu.be/KDFnA2jGdzo

Poor Ryan!!!!!
do you happen to know what happened at 3:01 in the video? did it shred? or did the motor energetically dissasemble?

Awesome video BTW!

Nate

LOL yes poor Ryan, only half of his crashes were his fault, what the vid doesn't show is all the broken fins & chutes on his rockets that didn't lawn dart.
Yes at 3:01 is ryan's rocket named the hooker, it named that cause he coated in glue just one side of all fins then let sit in open, so of course they all warped, quit severly at that, it's the same rocket that does a spiral earlier in vid. So second time round he used an E30 & basicly it hooked sideways right away & shred the wood, to his credit the glue fillets held, but it was to much force for the balsa after it got sideways. Luckly we were all about 50-70' away & not 100' away. Here is a few pics of the hooker. Also I'm repairing his 2time lawn dart named Acme.
Picture 4576.jpgPicture 4577.jpgPicture 4578.jpgPicture 4582.jpg

Here is a few update pics on my kitbash, I got my bottom baffle plate made by gluing 2 bulkheads together drilling the holes through both, I also got my SC bulkhead made, I added a small piece of balsa & glued it & screw. I then got it glued into the coupler.
Picture 4583.jpg Picture 4584.jpgPicture 4585.jpg

Back