CRC Mid Power Rocket builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRC

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread of my mid powered rocket builds. Right now I only have 2 estes E rockets, which one needs repair, but I'm building a 3rd, It's almost done but there will be more, oh yes, there will be more:D

Here is a few pics from my estes Vagabond buildPicture 3384.jpgPicture 3385.jpgPicture 3386.jpg

Here is a few more picsPicture 3399.jpgPicture 3403.jpgPicture 3411.jpg
I'm not sure what if anything else I should do with paint before I clear coat it.

Well I've almost finished my Vagabond after changing my mind about where to put the black paint, just got to clear coat it. Now I'm going to go build another rocket holder & a 3rd launch pad for my rocket club.Picture 3413.jpgPicture 3414.jpgPicture 3416.jpg

Here is a few pics of my rocket stand I'm making for my mid powered rockets.Picture 3424.jpgPicture 3425.jpg

I finished my mid power rocket stand/transporter, complete with wood burnt decorations.Picture 3427.jpgPicture 3428.jpg

Nice looking Vagabond! It flies nice on D12s, but I haven't had the guts to fly it on anything larger yet!

Burning the wood on your rocket carrier is a neat idea. I like it!

Picture 3437.jpgPicture 3434.jpgSo I got a new 29mm Rocket....An Estes pro series II Argent, This is the first 29mm rocket I personaly owned, I'm planning a few mods. I also got my Vegabond's first flight in, it flew on a E12-6 to a hight of 1101' It was a perfect launch, flight, deploy & landing.

The Argent is an awesome transition into MPR! It was my first MPR rocket, and it flies great, especially on G71Rs! simpler, easier, build. really great kit!

g71rs, where do I get that? I got a estes F50 for its first flight, I got the motor mount started, I just got to decide how I should attach the shock cord. I got 1/16' steel cable with crimper clamps, I was thinking I sould put it around the motor mount to the end of the BT then attach the stock shock cord, I also got a fishing swivel(450#rating) to attach so the cable doesnt get twisted. I also got the mm retainer & transition epoxied, I'm not gluing the upper bt together so I can place electronics in it.Picture 3440.jpgPicture 3442.jpg

The build is looking very good, I like your idea of leaving the upper section open for electronics. G71Rs are aerotech motors, and they're reload able so you would have to buy the relatively expensive reload case as well. The G77R is a similar, but is a single use, like the Estes motors. But beware, those will put her to a solid 1500 ft. If you build it a bit beefed up, like you are, and leave out the thrust ring, you could probably cert L1 with it.

Thanks nute! It was only in the last month I've been thinking about modification to rockets, and thanks to the search button on this site I've already learned alot about making a great looking, long lasting rocket that is in the upper mid power-lower high power range.
Here is my Argent build process, now to be known as Copper Top
1st pic:I stained my fins with heartwood semi transperent oil stain. 2 coats with a wipe off 30 sec. after applying.
2nd pic: I made my steel cable shock cord mount that is attached to my motor mount.
3rd pic: close up of motor mount with steel cable through, aluminum clamps, epoxied in.
4th pic: close up of other end of steel cable where my swivel is, cable & clamps epoxied as well. the swivel is soooo smooth.
5th pic: my upper section/payload bay, I put a trifold shock cord on just so I dont lose a nose cone. As well as this pic shows where the name Copper Top came from, not sure what I should do for rest of the colour, it will have some black.
Picture 3449.jpgPicture 3450.jpgPicture 3451.jpgPicture 3452.jpgPicture 3453.jpg

Don't bother looking for G71 loads, they were discontinued a couple years ago.

I like the paint scheme, very cool!
That should be cool with the stain on the wood, will you paint over it, or leave it in a more natural wood state?
Just one other question: what is the advantage of the steel shock cord harness? To me it just likes it would just put more stress on the mount, but I'm sure there is a good reason, I just can't figure it out:eek:

No I'm not painting over the fins, just clear coat them, the steel shockcord harness I did for a few reasons that made sence to me. I figured if I did it stock & it failed, there would be a chance it ripped the bt as well as if it failed in the middle of sc, I'd have to try to remove the remaining sc with out damaging the bt, if I used the sc around the mm & it failed I'd never be able to repair it with out ripping the whole rocket apart destroying all of in the process prob. So with the steel cable:
it is not attached to the bt
it cant burn & fail from ejection gases
if stock shock cord fails or I want to change it, I can easily take it off and put a new one on.
I figured/thought/hoped the mm is the stongest part & the forces it will need to break won't be reached(hopefully) I took care & put thought into ensuring the mm centering rings are as strong as I can make it without adding too much extra weight as well as the cable is secure. Also the LL are going on opposite side of where steel cable is mounted, I figured this should help keep weight even.

Anybodys thoughts, opinions or directions will be welcomed. I'm trying to make this a rocket that will last for years of flying.

No I'm not painting over the fins, just clear coat them, the steel shockcord harness I did for a few reasons that made sence to me. I figured if I did it stock & it failed, there would be a chance it ripped the bt as well as if it failed in the middle of sc, I'd have to try to remove the remaining sc with out damaging the bt, if I used the sc around the mm & it failed I'd never be able to repair it with out ripping the whole rocket apart destroying all of in the process prob. So with the steel cable:
it is not attached to the bt
it cant burn & fail from ejection gases
if stock shock cord fails or I want to change it, I can easily take it off and put a new one on.
I figured/thought/hoped the mm is the stongest part & the forces it will need to break won't be reached(hopefully) I took care & put thought into ensuring the mm centering rings are as strong as I can make it without adding too much extra weight as well as the cable is secure. Also the LL are going on opposite side of where steel cable is mounted, I figured this should help keep weight even.

Anybodys thoughts, opinions or directions will be welcomed. I'm trying to make this a rocket that will last for years of flying.

Those are some good ideas about the SC, I never would have thought of most of those!
I used the stock tri-fold mount on mine, and I'm regretting it. I'm afraid it'll break, and like you said, that's not an easy fix.
IMHO, the elastic shock cord looks strong enough to me if you won't be going HPR with it.
Sorry if you answered this already, but what will you attach to the steel cord to form the rest of the cord? The stock cord?

yes the stock cord gets attached to the swivel at end of cable, I'll post a pic later of it, I used a key ring to tie the sc onto. I know those estes PSII cords can break, my buddies broke(shredded) when the ejection charge went off(early) while his rocket was still climbing, well thats what we think happend, we do know the stock cord failed.
Copper top update: I just started painting the upper section/payload bay & I plan to glue the mm to the bt after dinner, I'm going to wood glue it in as per instructions.

yes the stock cord gets attached to the swivel at end of cable, I'll post a pic later of it, I used a key ring to tie the sc onto. I know those estes PSII cords can break, my buddies broke(shredded) when the ejection charge went off(early) while his rocket was still climbing, well thats what we think happend, we do know the stock cord failed.
Copper top update: I just started painting the upper section/payload bay & I plan to glue the mm to the bt after dinner, I'm going to wood glue it in as per instructions.

Very interesting, about the cord breaking.
This sounds like It'll be a very strong, reliable rocket, good for many a launches!:)

I got the mm glued in, as well as the fins, 1 fin does not sit completly in the way the oher 2 did, no way to clamp it so that fin will get an extra fillet, I also got the bt glued together. Here is a few pics including how I atteached the shockcord to my harness.
Picture 3454.jpgPicture 3455.jpg

so I got a bit more painting done as well as I filled the bottom of motor mount(like top) with glue, I'm thinking it should be stronger, heavier, but stronger.
Picture 3459.jpgPicture 3460.jpgPicture 3461.jpg

Looking very good!
with that glue in the bottom of the motor mount, it looks like you'll have a very strong rocket!
I really like the paint scheme. maybe you can call it the Duracell rocket...

Duracell is close, but it's name is Copper Top, I'm just finishing fin fillets then time to start the body paint(still not sure what I'm going to do for rest of paint)
Picture 3462.jpg

I got some progress on copper tops paint, I'll take the tape off in about 15 min.
Picture 3479.jpgPicture 3480.jpg

I got the black paint done, now I'm on to the next colour, I'm afraid to clear coat the bronze as I'm worried it will dull it.
Picture 3481.jpgPicture 3500.jpg

I really like that paint scheme, very cool; I've never seen anything like it!
Do you know What the other color will be?

yes I do..... you will have to wait and see though.

e18, are those the aerotech? I flew it on a estes e12 and it flew to 1101', it's a nice, fun, fast rocket, on a e12 anyway, I'll fly it again on same as I dont own any reloadable casings yet.

I did get some painting done on Copper top though, I just got to finish the pin stripes tomarrow, then think about if I should try to clear coat it. I'll post pics tomorrow

here is what Copper Top looks like with it's copper & white, I'm doing pin stripes right now.
Picture 3501.jpg

Back