It's not what you think...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I showed you this...

You'd probably guess that it's a blury image (sorry) of a 3FNC... And you'd be wrong.

If I showed you this...

You'd probably guess that it's another blurry image (sorry) of a 3FNC with a payload section, and an angry Alien... And you'd be wrong

Because when you saw this...

You'd realize that this isn't a 3FNC with payload... It was a blurry image of the sustainer for a 6FNC with payload, and an angry Alien...

Sorry for the blurry images... took them w/my phone in a hurry this morning.

So, What should I call this? It was inspired by the Binder Design Raptor/Velociraptor, and the Wildman Dark Star, as well as the Estes Magnum rockets, but as a 2 stager, it's unique as far as I know. I'm leaning towards DynaSoar II, as an homage to the Raptor/Dark Star names.

The lower 1/3 of the rocket (11 inches) will be gloss black, but I'm still in limbo for the upper 2 thirds (clear payload section will remain clear). Ideas?

According to Open Rocket, it has w/o payload over 5 cals of stability with D/D, D/E, E/E engines.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd call it Earth Shattering Kaboom. But it isn't...

ESK II? Hmmm.... Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Here's another blurry shot of it with a pair of unfinished Estes Magnum redshifted mod's.

Last edited:
Looks like a Darkstar to me.

Yeah, that's were the major inspiration came from. The Velociraptor was the initial inspiration for the fin shape (I'm still pursuing a build that will show more of that inspiration (9 fins). The Magnum's inspired the payload section. I'm also thinking of a 3 stage version of this concept, as well as a 3 stage version of the Binder Design Raptor

Last edited:
Yeah, that's were the major inspiration came from. The Velociraptor was the initial inspiration for the fin shape (I'm still pursuing a build that will show more of that inspiration (9 fins). The Magnum's inspired the payload section. I'm also thinking of a 3 stage version of this concept, as well as a 3 stage version of the Binder Design Raptor

Cool, I'll be watchin'!

How 'bout "ALIEN STAR RAPTOR" or " Alien Collection Mission Explorer" (oh, wait...that's ACME-never mind!)

How 'bout "ALIEN STAR RAPTOR" or " Alien Collection Mission Explorer" (oh, wait...that's ACME-never mind!)

Just so long as it doesn't become the HSWC (High Speed Worm Collector)... or CS (Core Sample)... or the TSM (Tree Seeking Missile)

Now, I'm thinking about a revisit to a Mythbuster's myth... Myth is that trees are 90% air. I propose that they launch 100 Estes Mosquitos (drag race style) directed at a tree, and find out how many of them make it out the other side, and how far they go, should any succeed. They should use the same tree they used in the golf myth, and do this at the same time of year (no good doing it in winter).

Last edited:
Very cool! You gotta teach me about that tail cone- I'm addicted to them!

My rocket's boat tail will actually be a cut down PNC-60RL that I have.

In my 1st round as a BAR, I was lengthening my payload sections by removing the back of the nosecones. When I realized that I could see the white on the inside, and IMHO it was distracting from the desired blue, I tried painting the inside of the nosecone of one of my Estes Magnum rockets. However, the wet paint softened and distorted the tip.

Now that I've sourced the PNC-60RL with the new Estes Hi-Flier XL's, I decided to salvage this damaged cone. However when I tried opening the Binder Design Velociraptor's .rkt file in OR, I keep getting this error message "Freeform fin set can not be attached to Transition, ignoring component.", and the tail's fins won't show. Below is what I get after downscaling the rocket from 4" to 1.64".

Binder Design Velociraptor downscale (unfinished)

So, I created a work around by simulating the boat tail with a short body tube and a tail cone.

Velociraptor II (unfinished)

Since my modified nosecone already has a shoulder, I won't need to add a tube coupler for the booster stage. However to protect the plastic, I will be adding an internal sleeve, and possibly add a streamer recovery to the booster (I've omitted it so you can see my vision of how the motor mounts butt up against each other). I'm also thinking about adding a port or 3 to allow the gasses trapped inside the motor mount to vent as this is a gap staging design. The tube coupler behind the laundry (in both images) is actually for a Half-Moon Baffle.

I don't have time to go out and find it right now, but there's an online resource somewhere that will allow you to enter in your outer diameter, inner diameter, and transition length and it will give you a .pdf that will allow you to print a cardstock tail cone. All you need to do is cut it out, roll it, then glue your end tabs together, and you've got a cardstock transition. [EDIT] Open Rocket will print this template for you. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
I don't know if it's the same one, but payloadbay.com has a tool for that, among many other handy tools.

Here's the latest version...

I worked out the boat tail/fin problem... before the boat tail I added a body tube section .001in (0.0in came up on the display) long, attached my fins to it, then put in the ogive boat tail.

I worked out the boat tail/fin problem... before the boat tail I added a body tube section .001in (0.0in came up on the display) long, attached my fins to it, then put in the ogive boat tail.

Humans: Outsmarting Computers Since 1937.

I've been dabbling with this one again... The nosecone is painted. The remainder is in white primer. I'm leaning now towards a yellow fin can and markings, and black for the remainder. Much like blackjack2564's version:

Despite my previous work with nuclear weapons, I'm really hesitant to include the radiation symbol. I may be exporting this with me to Taiwan or China, and I don't need any additional complications.

Last edited:
Back