GRAVITY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferret

Reaction score
So has anyone seen this movie yet? I just saw it, and it is absolutely incredible. I think anyone who likes anything rocketry/space related will love this movie. Sure, there are plenty of discrepancies, but the fun part is picking those out anyway :)

Sandra Bullock actually fit really well, which surprised the heck outta me. I thought there was no way she could fit into a space fantasy/suspense movie, but she pulled it off, and actually looked pretty hot doing it too.

Also, I normally don't fall for that overpriced 3D crap, but this is a movie where you have to see it in 3D. The most stunning graphics I have ever seen. For the first 5 minutes of the movie all I could think about was how the hell they did this without actually going to space.

Anyway, end rant. What did you guys think of it?

Good to know about the 3D. I might go see it tomorrow morning. There is an IMAX theater right down the road from where I am.

I haven't been to a 3D movie recently. How has it changed of years ago. Is the movie itself in 3D and you don't have to wear those lame goggles? On another note I would like to see that METALLICA IMAX movie "Through The Never"

So has anyone seen this movie yet? I just saw it, and it is absolutely incredible. I think anyone who likes anything rocketry/space related will love this movie. Sure, there are plenty of discrepancies, but the fun part is picking those out anyway :)

Sandra Bullock actually fit really well, which surprised the heck outta me. I thought there was no way she could fit into a space fantasy/suspense movie, but she pulled it off, and actually looked pretty hot doing it too.

Also, I normally don't fall for that overpriced 3D crap, but this is a movie where you have to see it in 3D. The most stunning graphics I have ever seen. For the first 5 minutes of the movie all I could think about was how the hell they did this without actually going to space.

Anyway, end rant. What did you guys think of it?

I agree, if you can suspend disbelief in all the bad science, the story is compelling and the scenery is incredible. Sandra Bullock does a really good job of developing and having you empathize with her character. Nice to know about the 3D, although I am one of those people whose eyes don't accept the conflicting information presented in digital 3D... it seems blurry to me and I end up with a pounding headache, so I am doomed to watch movies in 2D. But, even in 2D, the visuals are overwhelmingly spectacular - you'd swear it was filmed in space.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the visuals would look like in 2D, nice to hear they are still amazing.

@afterburners: nah, you still gotta wear those dang goggles. But it's not red/blue, it's polarized now, which produces a much less cheesy and more realistic effect. It's not bothersome at all to wear them for me.

Saw it in IMAX 3D tonight. Super cool. Yes, many times you have to suspend reality (come on, ISS and Hubble in the same orbit!), but the story and effects make it worthwhile. Sandra does pull it off.

Saw it in Imax 3D last night.

Same impressions as the posters before me. Some bad science, but the acting is credible and the images are stunning. I really enjoyed the experience.

Read somewhere that Buzz Aldrin had two criticisms of the film. First, a real astronaut would not be as blustery as Clooney. Second, not enough clouds in the earthscape.

I saw it this morning and thought it was great. It's fiction, no doubt. However, I did learn a couple of things. First, space debris are really bad. Second, Sandra Bullock looks great floating around in tight shorts and a t shirt.

Haven't seen the movie... But love your screen name :D.

Hehe, ferrets are great, aren't they? I had two, but they both passed recently and I haven't had anymore since.

SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ this article until after you've seen the film. I haven't yet, so I'm passing this along unread beyond their warning of a spoiler alert:

Movie tech: How 'Gravity' threw Sandra Bullock into zero gravity

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-g...een-8C11326787

Thanks for sharing, good article. I really want to see more in depth how they did it all, but i'm gonna have to wait for Blu-ray for that :\

I saw it on Sunday and really enjoyed it. There were some logical flaws and at least one serious error in physics that involved a crucial plot point, but I still had a great time. It's visually stunning and has plenty of excitement and drama. I'd recommend seeing it in 3D.

I love the IMAX REALD 3D stuff....it works great for me and the local theater here is impressive.....

Concerning this particular movie though.....seems to be alot of spinning and fast motion....I tend to get motion sick. No issues on airplanes.....but I can't even glance at a book in a car, and I need about an hour between roller coaster rides.....

Anyone have any issues?

Agree with the group. Lots of fun and Sandra Bullock does a great job. Was well done for 3D and I like others usually do not prefer 3D but it adds to the movie here.

I love the IMAX REALD 3D stuff....it works great for me and the local theater here is impressive.....

Concerning this particular movie though.....seems to be alot of spinning and fast motion....I tend to get motion sick. No issues on airplanes.....but I can't even glance at a book in a car, and I need about an hour between roller coaster rides.....

Anyone have any issues?

I've been occasionally sick in a car and on a boat and I didn't have issues. In a car you are moving but appear stationary. In the movie you are stationary but could see movement. I'm not sure if it works both ways but I didn't have any issues with the movie. Great movie BTW. The 3D was very well done. I think it adds the depth with out being in your face obnoxious.

Satellites usually orbit from West to East btw.

Not only 'usually' -- almost always.

Of course, if you were in LEO at the customary 17,500 mph in a West to East orbit, any objects in a similar orbit going East to West would close on you at about 35,000 mph -- 10 miles per second.

:y::y:

Saw it in 3D this evening.
My wife was hesitant to go, as she is prone to motion sickness - but she really enjoyed it .

I normally wear bifocal glasses for distance and close up but the 3D glasses worked perfectly.
Even though the 3D effect appeared layered in a few scenes in the beginning - overall, I have to say the effects were incredibly good, and this ranks high in space movies.
I kept thinking through out, how the hell did they get this scene?
I actually felt I was right besides them working on that hardware, and then of course the debris field disaster is frightening, as is everything else after that.
I really enjoyed the reentry scene..and as much as I enjoyed the one in Apollo 13 this was a whole new level.

I don't think this movie would be anywhere near as good if not in 3D...but you be the judge.
I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D next...should be even more of a rush.
As for the technical inaccuracies...so what.
Save those criticisms for Astronaut Farmer and other equally goofy stuff.

Last edited:
It's a fun movie... Sorta like a modern version of "Marooned" but with a lot more action...

Technically it is a mess... more full of holes than their shuttle after the first debris field impact. The movie completely overlooks things like different orbits, plane changes, and the amounts of maneuvering propellant and propulsion necessary for it, among many other things... and most importantly it overlooks the fact that space is a VERY BIG PLACE. The proximity of everything in this movie is utterly ridiculous.

That said, it's a movie, not a documentary, and the cinematography is outstanding... The look of the movie, especially in 3D, is absolutely amazing. It's a rollicking action movie and is just a "fun flick" to see... While the technical errors are egregious, they don't totally wipe out your suspension of disbelief like some similar films have (as the aforementioned "Astronaut Farmer" did) though it certainly stretches it at times... I loved the ending... very fitting.

The main thing is to just sit down and enjoy it for what it is... not overthink it... all in all I enjoyed it, on that level, despite the technical inaccuracies...

Later! OL JR :)

I've heard "you have to see it in 3D" for lots of movies but I seem to hear it more for this one. This leaves me with a problem. I have never seen a 3D movie (old style or new) that I did not like better in 2D. Paying extra to see something that is already overpriced in a format that seems to be too dark does not strike me as fun. Also the glasses bother the heck out of me.

Does this one really have to be seen in 3D or is that just more hype?

I've heard "you have to see it in 3D" for lots of movies but I seem to hear it more for this one. This leaves me with a problem. I have never seen a 3D movie (old style or new) that I did not like better in 2D. Paying extra to see something that is already overpriced in a format that seems to be too dark does not strike me as fun. Also the glasses bother the heck out of me.

Does this one really have to be seen in 3D or is that just more hype?

Well, I haven't seen it in 2D for comparison purposes, but I have seen some other movies in both formats... and I enjoyed them in either one... Personally I like the polarized 3D and the glasses don't bother me, so I see stuff in 3D if I can... If I think the movie will be worth it (and I did for this one). I wasn't disappointed.

I think a lot more of it comes down to personal preference-- if you don't like the 3D to begin with-- if it gives you problems or makes you sick or the glasses bother you, you're not going to enjoy ANY movie in the 3D versus the 2D. If you DO enjoy the 3D effects, then you'll enjoy the movie MORE in 3D than in 2D... but it will still be enjoyable in 2D... you just won't get the "full effect" compared to the 3D...

Make sense?? OL JR :)

Well, I haven't seen it in 2D for comparison purposes, but I have seen some other movies in both formats... and I enjoyed them in either one... Personally I like the polarized 3D and the glasses don't bother me, so I see stuff in 3D if I can... If I think the movie will be worth it (and I did for this one). I wasn't disappointed.

I think a lot more of it comes down to personal preference-- if you don't like the 3D to begin with-- if it gives you problems or makes you sick or the glasses bother you, you're not going to enjoy ANY movie in the 3D versus the 2D. If you DO enjoy the 3D effects, then you'll enjoy the movie MORE in 3D than in 2D... but it will still be enjoyable in 2D... you just won't get the "full effect" compared to the 3D...

Make sense?? OL JR :)

It makes sense. 3D never made me sick or anything like that. It just seemed like they replaced 100w bulbs in the projector with 25w bulbs (or whatever the actual rating is). The darkness is what got to me.

I've not seen many movies in 3D, but this is the first one I've seen where it doesn't really seem to be just a gimmick. We went the full deal - 3D IMAX. Brightness was not an issue (the polarized glasses for this were not as heavy or dark as those at "Real 3D" movies).

Sure....there are all kinds of holes in the science - Luke pretty much hit them - but as he said it is still - to me - just breathtaking.

Read somewhere that Buzz Aldrin had two criticisms of the film. First, a real astronaut would not be as blustery as Clooney. Second, not enough clouds in the earthscape.

Well, Buzz, IIRC, pretty much did 'write the book' on orbital mechanics and rendezvous technques, so I suspect he probably has a few more problems that that with it.

Yes, I wanted to see this before I heard too much about it, and took the wife last night. We opted NOT to see it in 3-D, but the theatre we were in did have some stereo separation, that enhanced the sound, and you could hear things happening from left and right, and characters talking from far away, and in the left or right channel. So much of the movie accents the sounds, the silence, the rushing, the breathing, the radio, the hissing, the underwater sound of lack of air.
I don't think it's necessary to see it in 3-D, but there were some specific shots that had pulled the focus to direct your attention to something in the foreground, or to have something spin out at you.. and as a result, We enjoyed it and could imagine where the 3-D would be a treat...but didn't feel it was essential.

Let me clarify, we really, REALLY liked it, and I'm recommending it to all my friends. I urge you to turn off your cell phones, and get there early, before the credits open, because the initial set up sets the tone and mood...and there's some casually mentioned stuff that becomes important later. The opening sequence, with it's stunning visual and slow pace will really suck you in.

Probably going to win an oscar for special effects and visuals or photography. It's that good.

I have always thought if a movie had to be seen in 3D then it obviously couldn't stand up to critical review or be a good movie, ie. it relies too much on effects.

I was wrong.

And the fact one of my co workers saw it in 2D and was not impressed and thought it was overhyped is quite telling...of course this person is neither a space age boomer nor a techno geek, is more interested in stories of personal/human interest and likes stuff I would not see...(the recent Tarantino film for one, and recommends the Jake Gyllenhaal movie "Prisoners" over this one).
I think if my coworker had seen this in 3D maybe the opinion would be different, maybe not.

I'm convinced the 3D really adds to this movie.
That's not to say it isn't a good movie in 2D. Of course having seen it in 3D I can't say...you'll have to be the judge on that.

While my coworker claimed Kubrick's 2001 conveyed the isolation of space much better...I think she missed the point.
This movie isn't about isolation in space (which has been covered before), as much as it is about the perils that modern technology can put humans into and how resolve and maintaining a kind of coolness under pressure may be the only thing that can get you out.
It is what they called the "Right Stuff" in the begining of the manned space flight program, but it applies to all persons in all kinds of dire circumstances...trapped in a rock crevice, buried in a mine collapse, stranded in the snow covered mountains, isolated on a raft on the ocean, this is a survival story...a story of perseverance against the odds.

The 3D makes the experience so much more compelling.
Or as one reviewer stated:

"In other films, outer space has seemed romantic, but "Gravity" makes you feel what an awesome and terrible thing it is. There is no sound in space, because there is nothing to carry sound.
At one point, Bullock is sent spinning into the void, and she keeps on spinning, because there's nothing to stop her, nothing to kick against. That everything that lives and everything that has ever lived should hang suspended in the midst of such emptiness is a realization so daunting and profound that it can turn an atheist into a religious person and a religious person into an atheist. Such spiritually inspiring and destabilizing realities form the undercurrent of "Gravity."
See "Gravity" in theaters, because on television something will be lost. Alfonso Cuarón has made a rare film whose mood, soul and profundity are bound up with its images. To see such images diminished would be to see a lesser film, perhaps even a pointless one. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFOK4Jc6Lo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
i just got back from the theater. the movie i thought was pretty good but not great as far as the story goes and all the standards that go with a movie...

that said this is one of the most gorgeous movies i've ever seen. i cannot wait for the bluray and a new plasma TV in december, because this will be one of the RARE movies i actually buy on disk. the action and the implications of what is actually happening is as compelling as any movie i've ever seen. as with any movie there are moments where you say "that can't possibly happen", but to my enjoyment there were few mixed in with all the horrifyingly realistic moments. this is an amazing movie that i think everyone needs to see, because i think it casts a light on just how incredible every launch into space is, and even more incredible is the fact that we send people there. it's hard to grasp really...

I thought Sandra did a great job and the imagery was great, however I just had a hard time how stupid some of the things were. I don't think anyone on a spacewalk would be zooming around and doing spins etc, let alone right next to others doing a repair....and how cavalier and fast he would approach objects, and my favorite, hop in a capsule and hit three switches and you are in a re-entry......I don't think given the ramifications of floating off in space, you would be hopping around and grabbing things to navigate around, I think you would have at least one hand firmly clamped on something before you let go of another.....There was a lot good about the movie though.

Frank

Last edited:
Back