Vent Holes on Nose Cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anybody have a formula for vent hole sizes on a nose cone? Also, where should they go? I have been searching the forums and google fruitlessly, and wanted to know Y'all's opinion.

Thanks
Matt

I have used nosecone vents a lot. Typically I will just use the volume of a cone to approximate the inside area of the nosecone (or part of the nosecone depending on where your bulkhead is located). I put the vent hole near the bottom of the bulkhead location or the nosecone aft, again depending on your application. I typically will use one or two holes I will tilt them so the transition through the wall is facing downward somewhat. I have never had problem measuring altitude and doing events when implemented in this manner (although my apogee event is typically set up to use an accel trigger).

I have not used an RRC3 in this application, although I have used a soon-to-be-announced variant of the RRC3 in this application and it worked fine. I have found Missileworks products to be very tolerant to almost any install / configuration.

One of the RRC3 beta testers mounted his in a nosecone, and it performed well.

I do not know the specifics of how he built/vented, and I have zero experience doing this myself.

-Kevin

Back