SHROX SkonkWulf Build Thread (FINISHED)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased the SHROX SkonkWulf instruction and decal kit for $15.00.

2013-10-04 18.34.08.jpg2013-10-04 18.34.22.jpg2013-10-04 18.34.35.jpg2013-10-04 18.35.43.jpg2013-10-04 18.35.55.jpg

The instructions are very clear and show a lot of detail I like the way they are laid out. With the instructions also include the templates for the wings and fins. The decals are nicely done and good quality.

SHROX did an outstanding job on this design!! I really like it a lot!!

Last edited:
Some of the materials I’ll be using are listed below:

• 1/8” basswood
• Apogee BT-80 nose cone
• Apogee card stock (for center rings)
• BSM BT-80 Airframe tube
• LOC .095 MMT
• ESTES Engine Hook
• 24mm Engine Block

2013-10-04 18.38.37.jpg2013-10-04 18.39.06.jpg2013-10-04 18.40.07.jpg2013-10-04 18.40.37.jpg2013-10-04 18.50.33.jpg

Before I get started I need to run to Staples and make several copies of the templates so I can build this kit again.

I decided that I would use the technique that ESTES mentioned in the latest article I read in Sport Rocketry. They paint the basswood first with primer and sand. Then repeat the process. The last sanding procedure they take off 90% of the primer before they cut the templates I'll be using both gray and red Duplicolor, which reminds me I'll have to get some more.

2013-10-04 18.42.24.jpg2013-10-04 18.42.35.jpg

Notice the new can packaging of the HBP from Duplicolor

Last edited:
:pop:

Though I've already built mine, and flown it three times, I'm still watching. I need to see how you approach the finishing. Shrox specifies like 5 different colors on this beast and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to mask the anti-glare patch.

I added 1oz of clay to the nose. Probably too much but I wanted to have some safety margin to fly it on bigger reloads.

I'll probably not use clay, but BB's instead, Mix with epoxy and stir. I used this technique on one of my scratch builds and worked great. I was able to get the BB's to fill in the nose.

I'll start on the basswood this weekend. We are getting a lot of wind so not the best conditions to spray anything right now. As far as the color scheme I plan on duplicating exactly how the kit is. I already have a good idea how to go about it.

Right on Dan !

I look forward to this build ,it`s a beautiful Shrox design...well....arn`t they all !

Those instructions and painting guide are some of the best I have seen.Nice decal set too.

I plan on loading up on most of his kits this Xmas !

Paul T

I'll post what I can during the process, but most of the obvious stuff I'll leave out. I had some extra time, which is why I decided to start this build. I'm not a real fast builder so I like taking my time.

I need to run a few errands and get some some at the craft store so maybe today or tomorrow I'll get started.

Today I finished the engine mount assembly. I used a circle cutter to cut the rings from the card stock. I cut them just slightly smaller and then come back and sand them to fit.

2013-10-06 09.14.16.jpg

I also modified the engine mount slightly. According to the instructions you are to route the Kevlar under the front center ring. I decided to route it over the top to avoid the Kevlar from coming into direct contact with the hot ejection gases and particles I just want to try and prolong the life of the shock cord.

2013-10-06 10.00.35.jpg2013-10-06 10.02.44.jpg

I also used (2) BT-55 center rings to butt up flush against the BT-80 rings to provide added support and lock down the engine hook tighter. This is just common practice for me and I find it works really well. Aside from adding strength it also aligns the center rings nice and straight.

2013-10-06 10.02.14.jpg

After cutting the body tube I sanded the motor mount to fit. I epoxied it into place using 30 minute epoxy. The aft center ring has to be flush with the body tube, but mine is slightly off. The card stock has some "give" and it was somewhat difficult to get it perfectly flush, but if I have to I can sand it flush later.

Special Note: Use lite ply center rings if you decide on building this kit. It will make it much easier to get the aft flush.

I made sure there was enough epoxy on the aft end of the tube to form an inside fillet for the aft center ring. I used thin CA to secure the outer edge of the body tube to the aft center ring.

I also decided to start prepping the basswood by shooting a couple coats of primer.

2013-10-06 13.15.48.jpg2013-10-06 13.16.01.jpg2013-10-06 13.31.39.jpg2013-10-06 13.32.25.jpg2013-10-06 13.35.13.jpg

I also used some rubber bands to apply pressure around the body tube and keep the center ring in place.

Next up I'll be prepping the wood to get it ready to cut the wings and fins. So far so good.

The epoxy set up pretty quick so I thought I would test fit the nose cone. Perfect fit.

2013-10-06 14.02.24.jpg2013-10-06 14.02.41.jpg

Anyway that's about it for today. Gonna grab some lunch and watch some football. Dallas and Denver. Go DENVER!!

Last edited:
The epoxy set up pretty quick so I thought I would test fit the nose cone. Perfect fit.

View attachment 148444View attachment 148445

Anyway that's about it for today. Gonna grab some lunch and watch some football. Dallas and Denver. Go DENVER!!

Things are comming along nicely, good build and info !

Oh yah....Dallas is winning right now <<<<<----- edit

Broncs are winning now 21-17....that was fast !

I hate Dallas....Manning`s my boy !

Paul T

Last edited:
I also used (2) BT-55 center rings to butt up flush against the BT-80 rings to provide added support and lock down the engine hook tighter. This is just common practice for me and I find it works really well. Aside from adding strength it also aligns the center rings nice and straight.

View attachment 148408

Great idea especially for those "extreme" paper centering rings. Certainly is a lot easier than cutting balsa spars. I'm going to steal this idea!

After everything dried and a couple hours of football I came out and sanded the aft section of the tube flush with the center ring. Looks much better now.

IMG_2351.jpgIMG_2352.jpgIMG_2353.jpgIMG_2354.jpg

I also prepped the basswood. I applied two heavy coats of red primer and allowed each coat to dry in between (both sides of the sheet). My last coat was a guide of gray primer. I'll probably start sanding tomorrow. I hope to get everything sanded and then start cutting the fins out.

IMG_2355.jpg

Basswood takes a little longer to cut, but it's worth it. I'll spend less time on filling and sanding because I'm not using balsa.

Last edited:
Gotta love a shrocket! I gotta get me one of those. After all, they're better than bad, they're good!

I agree this is a nice design and looks great. I cut the wings today after I sanded and primer the basswood. They turned out ok I guess? As always I stacked and sanded the edges square so both pieces matched. Sanding basswood is so much better than balsa. The problem I came across was that because I sanded the pieces the smaller piece of the wing that glues to the aft center ring and touches the motor mount tube no longer does. There's a gap of about 1/16th" between the wing and the motor tube, aside from that it looks ok.

I looked over the other pieces and decided I might find someone to laser cut all of the wood. I might go with lite ply. I also broke my knife, not the blade, but the handle portion of my hobby because of the amount of pressure I was using to cut the wings. So I tossed it. I have another one laying around.

If any of you can point me in the direction to someone that does laser cutting it would be appreciated.

I agree this is a nice design and looks great. I cut the wings today after I sanded and primer the basswood. They turned out ok I guess? As always I stacked and sanded the edges square so both pieces matched. Sanding basswood is so much better than balsa. The problem I came across was that because I sanded the pieces the smaller piece of the wing that glues to the aft center ring and touches the motor mount tube no longer does. There's a gap of about 1/16th" between the wing and the motor tube, aside from that it looks ok.

I looked over the other pieces and decided I might find someone to laser cut all of the wood. I might go with lite ply. I also broke my knife, not the blade, but the handle portion of my hobby because of the amount of pressure I was using to cut the wings. So I tossed it. I have another one laying around.

If any of you can point me in the direction to someone that does laser cutting it would be appreciated.

I use a sharp knife and multiple strokes to cut basswood. It should only take about 10 minutes.

I use a sharp knife and multiple strokes to cut basswood. It should only take about 10 minutes.

I did the same thing. I cut through it in about 10 strokes. I'll go back to it later, probably tomorrow and try re-cutting the wing. This time I'll slightly over cut the pattern by 1/16th inch so when I do square off the wings I'll allow enough room to sand to fit. I have no problem cutting the basswood, but I think if I had a metal X-acto knife it would have worked better.

I had one of those "Gripsters" Actually a #2 knife is a little bigger at the handle.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/xac/xacx3623.htm

Anyway below are the pictures of the wings cut out and sanded square.

IMG_2356.jpgIMG_2357.jpgIMG_2359.jpg

Below is the smaller piece of the wing. The bottom edge doesn't butt flush with the engine mount tube because I sanded it.

IMG_2358.jpg

I'll try again later...

So far I really like this kit!!!:)

Last edited:
Things are comming along nicely, good build and info !

Oh yah....Dallas is winning right now <<<<<----- edit

Broncs are winning now 21-17....that was fast !

I hate Dallas....Manning`s my boy !

Paul T

The big question now on Sundays is do I paint rockets or watch Peyton Fricking Manning. HURRY - HURRY. . . OMAHA. . . another TD Pass. Sure glad he is on our side now instead of kicking Bronco's butt in the playoffs under Shanahan.

Maybe I can do both at the same time, but only with those rocket kits that just fall out of the box. The Shrox kits with the bad arse paint jobs will have to wait until Monday.

The big question now on Sundays is do I paint rockets or watch Peyton Fricking Manning. HURRY - HURRY. . . OMAHA. . . another TD Pass. Sure glad he is on our side now instead of kicking Bronco's butt in the playoffs under Shanahan.

Maybe I can do both at the same time, but only with those rocket kits that just fall out of the box. The Shrox kits with the bad arse paint jobs will have to wait until Monday.

Another thing to consider is sharp objects - I'm not allowed to have them while football is on.

I didn't forget about this build. I set it aside to finish up a scratch build. I had some parts laying around and wanted to use them. With all the rockets that I destroy I have had plenty of parts to choose from.

Sorry for the delay, but I'll be starting this build thread up again...I have the parts cut from 1/8" basswood and now it's just a matter test fitting and gluing the pieces together.

IMG_2412.jpgIMG_2413.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2415.jpg

Subscribed. Just ordered my plans. I wish to make a 3" version with a 29mm motor tube.

Back