SHROX SkonkWulf Build Thread (FINISHED)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I SIM'ED the rocket on (2) E9-6 and the altitude was 1179' and velocity at deployment was @ 12mph. Pretty good results. If I do the dual 24mm I will use the thin walled tubing to keep the weight down.

I SIM'ED the rocket on (2) E9-6 and the altitude was 1179' and velocity at deployment was @ 12mph. Pretty good results. If I do the dual 24mm I will use the thin walled tubing to keep the weight down.

I was looking at composites that would give you a bigger flame but without shredding the rocket. I know when I converted my Saturn V to 29mm, the flame was just awesome, the ones with 38mm are even more impressive. 2 composite engines would probably look just as awesome. Heck, if you could fit 2 29mm engines or 1 38mm engine in there and keep the rocket intact I would say go for it (just doubt that it would survive the trip with those wing tips).

I wonder if I should go with the the heavy walled tubing? If I did and used black powder it might weigh it down some?

I found a piece of heavy wall laying around, that's what I'll use. I think the weight difference of the tube is negligible, more consideration will need to be given to the extra motor weight.

I wonder if I should go with the the heavy walled tubing? If I did and used black powder it might weigh it down some?

More weight, the more umph it will need to get up which means bigger engines are need. I'm not seeing an issue with thicker tubing. So long as the fins can take it and you can put a big enough parachute in it. :2:

I'm seeing an upscale project in the works.

Just decided shoot a view pictures of the recovery shock cord. It consist of Kevlar and elastic. I have a Kevlar anchor and I decided to use a shock cord from another rocket that "cato'ed" might as well not let it go to waste. I'll bring it down with a 24" thin mill chute from Top Flight. The futon in the picture is 6' so yeah I have plenty of shock cord. I shouldn't have any issues with zippering.

2014-01-30 07.42.53.jpg2014-01-30 07.42.41.jpg2014-01-30 07.42.29.jpg2014-01-30 07.43.00.jpg

I can't really see what's going on with the attachment between the kevlar and elastic. Is it a funky knot, or a tiny spinner I too small to see?

Hey Dan,

Looks like you are going for the more "unusual" designs, as am I.

You may want to look into the Dynastar Firefox, also designed by our revered SHROX.

This kit will make you scratch your head a couple of times...I really enjoyed the build. As for paint.......:y:

I think this is right up your alley...here's mine so far:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60046-DynaStar-Firefox-SHX-Semi-Build-thread

Very cool looking bird but don't give Dan any ideas. He keeps raising the bar around here !!!!

Hey Dan,

Looks like you are going for the more "unusual" designs, as am I.

You may want to look into the Dynastar Firefox, also designed by our revered SHROX.

This kit will make you scratch your head a couple of times...I really enjoyed the build. As for paint.......:y:

I think this is right up your alley...here's mine so far:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60046-DynaStar-Firefox-SHX-Semi-Build-thread

Yes I've heard of the Firefox. I guess the inspiration was taken from that Clint Eastwood movie?? It's a cool kit. I also have the Snarky and Lexxjet kits. Right now it's time to launch the kits I have already built. Waiting for the desert floor to dry out some. Thanks for sharing your build thread. It looks great!! You did a nice job on the construction and your build techniques are solid!!

Back