The Whizzler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was some progress today. The white base coat on The Wizzler looks good and the other model in the pic, the other build that I had been working on at the same time, "Dorian's Revenge", got it's touch up coat of primer. Can you tell I have a fondness for the 55 AC nose cone?

View attachment 169251

Could be worse...you could be fond of clown noses...:lol:

There was some progress today. The white base coat on The Wizzler looks good and the other model in the pic, the other build that I had been working on at the same time, "Dorian's Revenge", got it's touch up coat of primer. Can you tell I have a fondness for the 55 AC nose cone?

View attachment 169251

Now that I see Dorians as a 3D object, it seems rather Starship Excalibur-ish. Didn't you recently tease me about having a habitual inclination for certain design styles?
:neener:

Now that I see Dorians as a 3D object, it seems rather Starship Excalibur-ish. Didn't you recently tease me about having a habitual inclination for certain design styles?
:neener:

It certainly was inspired by the Excalibur. I thought we discussed this a while back. As I recall, I said I wanted to make another pod finned rocket because I only have the one. And no, I don't think I teased you, I simply pointed out how your taste in rockets and mine are different. If I made fun of anybody, it was myself. You lean more toward the military / straight line look whereas, I tend to go with curvy designed fins, rockets with tranny's and such. ( :neener: back atcha)

I like both.
Is there a story line for "Dorian's Revenge"?

Dorian's Revenge is a rocket built in honor of Dorian Gray. I was unaware of the of the story behind who Dorian was, but he did play a part in the "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" movie. As you might know, he was immortal as long as he did not see the painting of himself that he kept wrapped and concealed. The vampire chick in the movie knew his secret and he met his demise with her unfolding the image to him. This is his rocket that aims in the heart of that life sucker. His last attempt for revenge through the working hands of a somewhat skillful modeler.

Have you thought about doing a swing test on this to see if she whistles at moderate velocity? Might make an interesting YouTube video as well. :D

Have you thought about doing a swing test on this to see if she whistles at moderate velocity? Might make an interesting YouTube video as well. :D

I usually don't have to do swingers anymore, but your question deserves merit. I should do one just because. Stability is not an issue here, but testing the whistles is. Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't considered it.

I usually don't have to do swingers anymore, but your question deserves merit. I should do one just because. Stability is not an issue here, but testing the whistles is. Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't considered it.

Knowing how much breath it takes to make one of these whistle when blowing through it, I'm betting you cannot generate enough airspeed during a swing test.

As for stability, you're correct, that is not an issue.

Do you really think it needs striping? I think it looks pretty good just like that.

If I were to change anything, I would emphasize the raised input tubes.

Very nice build.

---------------------
Join us at: rocketrysouthcarolina.com

Did all the painting and striping I'm gonna do on this one. Now....as long as we don't get rained out next weekend, I'll have a vid for you.

Whizzler.jpg

Okay, now it looks like a crayon in a skirt.

Hmmmm, Ya know, my daughter always gives me 'down the road' about my horizontal stripes making my rockets look like crayons. I know that's got nothing to do with that "second childhood" I've always heard about. Hell, I'm not even growed up yet!

The Wizzler got it's day this past weekend at the Freedom Launch. Unfortunately it didn't have a chance to pick up enough speed to get those siren whistles to sound off because it was too busy cutting flips in the air. I'm not done testing my angle on this rocket seeing how it lacked a lot of necessary nose weight. Hopefully with better balance, I can get it to sound off. Here's a link to the video.

https://s343.photobucket.com/user/glbyrum/media/Wizzler_zpscd26fd93.mp4.html

Was wondering when this was gonna fly. Looked a little bit like my Squirrel on C6-3. I think we both need nose weight!

The Wizzler got it's day this past weekend at the Freedom Launch. Unfortunately it didn't have a chance to pick up enough speed to get those siren whistles to sound off because it was too busy cutting flips in the air. I'm not done testing my angle on this rocket seeing how it lacked a lot of necessary nose weight. Hopefully with better balance, I can get it to sound off. Here's a link to the video.

https://s343.photobucket.com/user/glbyrum/media/Wizzler_zpscd26fd93.mp4.html

Gary!
Great looking rocket and fine build thread. Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier.

For my 65th Birthday I build a 4- D12 cluster BT-80 model with Sirens built onto the tips of each fin and attached whistles along the body tube in the air stream.
Great flight. TON's of Airspeed and NO ONE on the ground hears a thing beyond the roar of the Mighty D12's;)

Looks to me like just a bit of nose weight should solve our stability problem but alas it's very doubtful you'll hear anything on the way Up.

687_65th B-day Rocket-k2_4- D12-3 Cluster_11-10-13.jpg

687Lp01d2_65th B-Day Close 4 D12 Cluster Roaring Liftoff 1st Flight_11-16-13.jpg

687Lp01d3_65th B-Day Rocket (4-D12) Liftoff(byJimFiller)_11-16-13.jpg

687Lp01e1_65th B-Day Cluster Just about Apogee (about 570ft) 1st flt_11-16-13.JPG

Looks to me like just a bit of nose weight should solve our stability problem but alas it's very doubtful you'll hear anything on the way Up.

You're probably right John. I guess it's just another example of how siren whistles and rockets don't work together. Either you can't hear them over the motors, or there's not enough speed to sound them off. And my Wizzler, is by no means, built for speed.

It is an interesting idea. The basic idea occurred to me a long time ago, but I didn't even begin to follow up on it. I wonder how much air pressure is needed to make these things whistle and if a model rocket generates enough air pressure. Also, it might be that not only is a certain air pressure needed, but it might be needed at a guaranteed flow rate. Would a funnel ahead of the whistle help? There is room here for both experimental and theoretical analysis.

It is an interesting idea. The basic idea occurred to me a long time ago, but I didn't even begin to follow up on it. I wonder how much air pressure is needed to make these things whistle and if a model rocket generates enough air pressure. Also, it might be that not only is a certain air pressure needed, but it might be needed at a guaranteed flow rate. Would a funnel ahead of the whistle help? There is room here for both experimental and theoretical analysis.

I agree. I was thinking channeling the the airflow might be a solution. I still haven't proven that because of the failed launch. So it's still on the burner.

I remember blowing into these things back in my college days. I remember that it took a big lungful of air all at once and my lungs were quickly depleted. This makes me think that it takes a certain differential pressure and a large volumetric flowrate. As I remember the sound would rise quickly and then trail off. It made be that the blades inside the whistle operate in an impulsive manner. If someone had a way to measure the pressure and flowrate for reservoir, a nice science project could be done. OK, let's forgo that thought. However, it is interesting to point that even a fairly high wind velocity corresponds to a fairly low pressure drop. For example, I remember that an air velocity of around 70 fps corresponds to a differential pressure drop of only 1.0 inch of water, which to my way of thinking does not amount to very much. Of course, 250 fps will be a lot more, but I tend to doubt if it is anywhere near 1 psia. All of this is not very important if we don't know the operating conditions for the whistle. It is interesting to note that in fluid mechanics power can be expressed as differential pressure (or delta p) multiplied by the volumetric flow rate. So, it might be better rather than have many whistles just have one whistle embedded in a large diameter rocket. A good place would be in the nose cone with a funnel leading to the whistle inlet (similar to a ramjet). At the aft end of the nose cone there must be outlets or ports to allow the air to exit and establish the pressure drop across the whistle.

Last edited:
I remember blowing into these things back in my college days. I remember that it took a big lungful of air all at once and my lungs were quickly depleted. This makes me think that it takes a certain differential pressure and a large volumetric flowrate. As I remember the sound would rise quickly and then trail off. It made be that the blades inside the whistle operate in an impulsive manner. If someone had a way to measure the pressure and flowrate for reservoir, a nice science project could be done. OK, let's forgo that thought. However, it is interesting to point that even a fairly high wind velocity corresponds to a fairly low pressure drop. For example, I remember that an air velocity of around 70 fps corresponds to a differential pressure drop of only 0.1 inch of water, which to my way of thinking does not amount to very much. Of course, 250 fps will be a lot more, but I tend to doubt if it is anywhere near 1 psia. All of this is not very important if we don't know the operating conditions for the whistle. It is interesting to note that in fluid mechanics power can be expressed as differential pressure (or delta p) multiplied by the volumetric flow rate. So, it might be better rather than have many whistles just have one whistle embedded in a large diameter rocket. A good place would be in the nose cone with a funnel leading to the whistle inlet (similar to a ramjet). At the aft end of the nose cone there must be outlets or ports to allow the air to exit and establish the pressure drop across the whistle.
Tried this without success, although may have been flawed design. Post here
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...and-Nerf-Football-Whistles&highlight=Whistler

Saw this one at Freedom Launch... This thing is even cooler in person... :p

I went back and edited my last post. It turns out that 1 inch (not 0.1") of water (differential pressure) corresponds to about to about 68.9 fps or roughly 70 fps or about 47 mph. Afterwards I took a piece of clear plastic tubing and put some water in it and bent it in a U-shape fashion and thereby constructed a crude water manometer. I found that with a little bit of effort that I could sustain a differential pressure of about 1 foot by blowing into the tube and holding my breath. (One atmosphere corresponds to about 34.14 ft of water.) One foot of water corresponds to 238.8 fps or almost 163 mph. If I blew impulsively, I could make the water go much higher, actually, blowing water out of the plastic tube. This means that a model rocket might be able to provide enough differential pressure to blow a whistle or whizzle (siren whistle), but it isn't clear, because we don't know exactly what pressure it takes to blow a whistle. (There are 2 good TRF threads on this subject. One by Tom (Babar) and one by Gary. I just ordered some siren whistles. I am thinking of blowing up a balloon and putting it on the whistle. If it makes noise, I could then put the balloon on a manometer and get a measurement. Perhaps, the manometer measurement might indicate if a model rocket can provide enough pressure (or power).

It might be that so much rocket power is needed to make noise from the whistle that the motor itself noise drowns out the whistle as some posts have stated. However, there is the possibility that the tests so far have not been fast enough to get the whistle operating.

Last edited:
Back