The Whizzler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only person to consider this kind of build and I'd be really interested in knowing if this idea works. Anybody ever put siren whistles on a rocket before?

My concept is about making a cone type of model where the stability comes from the cone like fins provide. Inside the cone would be 3 - BT 50 size tube compartments that are cut at the top in the same angle of the shroud/cone, and a hole in the cone for each chamber. Each chamber would contain a whistle, which would of course be permanently mounted. This would be a LPR model to say the least. You'd prolly not hear the whistles on a HPR. Here's a basic 2D diagram. Thoughts?

The Whizzler.jpg

Estes did, on a rocket called "Screaming Mimi". Never could hear the sirens on it. We have one in primer, going to fly it on some D24's when it's done. If that don't make it whistle, nothing will!

Estes did, on a rocket called "Screaming Mimi". Never could hear the sirens on it. We have one in primer, going to fly it on some D24's when it's done. If that don't make it whistle, nothing will!

I bought some el-cheapo's today at the dollar store and all I can say is I blew a perfectly good dollar on 6 useless siren whistles. Found a clown supply warehouse just down the street this afternoon so I'm gonna give em a call and go see what they have. Maybe Estes didn't have very good whistles? I dunno. But I planned to build the Whizzler for D motors and I feel like you do on that D motor note.

Oh my god I'd kill to have a clown supply store just down the street!!!! How fun is that!?! Brain fart* I thought the Mimi had an 18mm mount, it's 24mm. I'll probably go with an E28, if my daughter ever gets around to finishing it. She blew through the sirens before she glued it all together, they worked well enough to chase me to the basement.

Oh my god I'd kill to have a clown supply store just down the street!!!! How fun is that!?!

I didn't know we had one until today. It's hidden in an industrial park where I hardly ever go. Just looked up some "Screamin' Mimi" videos and they all were silent vids. That's right! No sound. Just who doesn't want to hear a video of a screaming rocket?

Party stores like Party City should have some. I saw some at my local walmart on the party supply ailse but they looked really cheap. I bought a dozen good quality ones off of ebay a few years ago to build my screamer rocket but it turned out to be more of a whiner rocket. I was going to try again with higher power but never got around to it.

"Found a clown supply warehouse just down the street this afternoon..."

Did'nt even know there were such places.

"Found a clown supply warehouse just down the street this afternoon..."

Did'nt even know there were such places.
That's where they keep the supply of clowns between parties.

They deliver, too. In a Volkswagen.

Well, I just called the warehouse and they have about 50 siren whistles in stock. I'll go get a hand full of those today. I may just turn this thread into a build when I get ready to construct it. Hey, while I'm over there, is there anyone interested in a car fulla clowns? I'll put in an order for you. :p

With the clown store as a source it might be easier to make a "farting" rocket then a whistling one. :D

I'll be interested in this one. I bought a pack of "whizzers" at the Hobby Lobby and tried just putting them on oriented to long axis of the rocket. Didn't hear anything, but there was no "ducting" to the mouthpiece like you have here. Anybody try just a regular old whistle (hard to find now, since I guess they are choking hazards for 3 year olds) attached to a ducted tube (sort of like placed in the cloaca of a Snarky or something)? Or those "train whistles" you sometimes find at Cracker Barrel?

Somebody flew a Screaming Mimi at my last launch. I didn't hear any whistling at all - and as LCO I was closer than anybody else.

I don't know how true it is, but I once heard the high airspeed causes the "whizzers" to seize up.

These were 45 cents apiece and they are way much better than those dollar store kind. Maybe the ones used in the Screamin' kit are cheesy? Granted, I bought 10 of them, 3 of which are really weak and the rest are killer. Apparently they don't get a QC inspection at the factory.

Local guy upscaled one. Had whistles in it he bought. Awesome with I357, but it met its demise. Not sure if it will get rebuilt. Whatever whistles he used worked.

Like I said, 3 out of ten were faulty, but the rest were adequate. I chose the 3 best ones in the bunch that had an easy wind flow with a lot of sound and pitch. Hopefully I'll get this one to work. Channeling the air flow and because it's a cone type rocket might prove to fly just well enough to sound this one off. This design is not built for speed but I suspect it should be enough to hear these whizz.

I have an interesting CR to make for this also. This is just an unscaled template pic although, I already have one to scale. Should be some kinda fun cuttin' this one out!

Whizzler CR Unscaled.jpg

As predicted, this is not really a build thread but I can give you an update. The pic shows what has been done. The motor mount is not in the pic but it's ready to be installed. That CR was indeed a whole lotta fun to cut! I figure I'll install the CR in the cone, insert all the tubes and use a flash light shining up the 'whizzer tubes to mark off where I need to make my cuts. I will of course mount the cone on the BT 55 first because we don't wanna have loose ends on the shroud to deal with, with said cuts. The whizzer tubes already have engine blocks in the bottom to keep the whistles from falling out. After cutting out the shroud holes, the rest should be a piece of cake. I may have to "borrow" that 55 AC from Dorian's Revenge (in the back) because my usual supplier is out of them!

DSCF3599.JPG

Here's a little update on The Whizzler. Everything is going together pretty well. As you can see, I wanted the 'whiz tubes' to poke through the cone so I can get a glue fillet on there. I suppose I'll need to secure the whistles in there somehow. Thought about some type of friction fit and gluing a small dowel just inside the whiz tubes out of sight somewhat so they don't fall out. I'll take suggestions at this point unless y'all think what I have in mind is adequate.

DSCF3604.JPG

Here's a little update on The Whizzler. Everything is going together pretty well. As you can see, I wanted the 'whiz tubes' to poke through the cone so I can get a glue fillet on there. I suppose I'll need to secure the whistles in there somehow. Thought about some type of friction fit and gluing a small dowel just inside the whiz tubes out of sight somewhat so they don't fall out. I'll take suggestions at this point unless y'all think what I have in mind is adequate.

View attachment 153365

Well Gary ,even if the whistles don`t work ,the design and look of the rocket is by itself very interesting.......I like it !

I also like the way the tubes extend out from above the cone ,it`s a good look.

Take care

Paul t

Well Gary ,even if the whistles don`t work ,the design and look of the rocket is by itself very interesting.......I like it !

I also like the way the tubes extend out from above the cone ,it`s a good look.

Take care

Paul t

Thanks Paul. If the whistles don't work, I'll yank em out and let the whiz tubes serve to channel the air flow.

Thanks Paul. If the whistles don't work, I'll yank em out and let the whiz tubes serve to channel the air flow.

BTW, I did my first set of resin casts (High Power thread "Madcow Honest John).........

I`m hooked...thanks to you :handshake:

Paul T

After a very deep dive of ambition this winter, I think I'm starting to get some mojo back and getting some rockets done. The Whizzler finally got it's primer on and hopefully this afternoon it'll get it's undercoat of flat white. I at least, wanted to get this done so I can get a vid of it at the ROSCO launch in May. Debating a color scheme, but I do have a few ideas.

100_0948.jpg

I bought some el-cheapo's today at the dollar store and all I can say is I blew a perfectly good dollar on 6 useless siren whistles. Found a clown supply warehouse just down the street this afternoon so I'm gonna give em a call and go see what they have. Maybe Estes didn't have very good whistles? I dunno. But I planned to build the Whizzler for D motors and I feel like you do on that D motor note.

You have a clown warehouse down the street? I would be leery of that. We have had issues in our city with clowns in general. We have an infestation of them. They hide in trees during the day and come out at night. Scratching at the windows and doors wanting to get in. I know they don't like squirrels. I once saw a few squirrels attack a clown and brought him down.

You have a clown warehouse down the street? I would be leery of that. We have had issues in our city with clowns in general. We have an infestation of them. They hide in trees during the day and come out at night. Scratching at the windows and doors wanting to get in. I know they don't like squirrels. I once saw a few squirrels attack a clown and brought him down.

Our tree clowns know their place in this town. Most everyone owns a shotgun. They know if they play it smart, they can live live forever. They're immortal around here. But if they get shot, they are well aware there's only one place they go when they die, and it doesn't have pearly gates.

There was some progress today. The white base coat on The Wizzler looks good and the other model in the pic, the other build that I had been working on at the same time, "Dorian's Revenge", got it's touch up coat of primer. Can you tell I have a fondness for the 55 AC nose cone?

100_0952.jpg

Back