What is "KATE"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not all that bad of price compared to the capability.

Proud to be part of the Idaho chapter of TRA and in Vern's club. I get to hear Kate frequently and I can attest to the crowd stopping what they are doing and watching a rocket with her onboard.

I as well fly with Tripoli idaho and Kate is quite amazing.

We get the pleasure of hearing her quite often and it is a very helpful system to find rockets. There have been many cases I'm sure a rocket would have been lost without her assistance. I encourage you to check out his website9posted above) and look at all the features.

It's a little out of my price range and if I had one I'd be afraid to put it in my rocket because I wouldn't want to lose it. lol

I've seen/heard "her" at LDRS this year, really cool. Told her owner how far away from the launch site she landed on top of everything else!!

Available, and as mentioned, Paul Gagnon purchased on site @ BALLS. I spoke to Paul after purchase and he was enamored having heard Kate for the first time. It is a fantastic, top-shelf system. It uses the uBlox 7 GPS Engine running in the high dynamics mode. The velocity cutoff is for the uBlox7 is > 500 m/s. It's using 1W 900MHz ISM radios, but I don't know what model... The cross polarized yagi on the receiver works quite well as there was all-up radio downlink to 120K with said flight @ BALLS.

It's awesome that this is using an ISM band and, as such, a HAM license is not required. I actually am licensed (General class) but I know other telemetry systems (such as the TeleMetrum) operate on AR freqs and require at least a technician license in order to purchase/operate which will put off some buyers. Despite the much higher price point of this system, it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually outsells those that require a HAM license.

Yes but Dave doesn't seem to worry about it much. ;)

Well if you rocket cost just as much as the system you probably don't want to lose your rocket either so I guess it is a worthwhile investment.

I did talk to Vern at the monthly meeting and he is hoping to do a scaled down version at some point. Will still be a little spendy but not as much as KATE is.

Back