2.56" satellite interceptor - Flown!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I love the Satellite Interceptor, and as such I need a big one. I know there was a limited run K&S kit awile back, but this is not it. I finally got the fins, tubes, and sticks glued on, so here is where it stands. Little brother included for comparison.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

How its made so far: It has a 38 mm MM which will be fitted with an Aeropak motor retainer which is en route from LOC. I got the nose cone from Red Arrow Hobbies, and can't say enough about the quality for a $12 nose cone. The aft 4 fins are 1/8" 6-ply covered in 5oz FG, then glazed with bondo, and sanded. the "wings" and strake are 1/8" basswood with the same FG/bondo treatment. All fins are through the wall, except the strake. The TTW fins also have basswood strakes imbedded in all internal fillets, except the top of the angled aft fins which have strakes on the underside and 5 oz FG on top over the MM connecting the fins. Wing tubes are 38mm MM tube, and the fin sticks are 3/16" hardwood dow. Adhesive is epoxy (5 and 30 min HL, and Zpoxy glazing for the FG) everywhere except the tube coupling, which is Titebond II.

The top 6" of body tube will be configured as an electronics bay, and fixed to the nose. I am envisioning DD using a cable cutter as the 38 mm options will allow for some good altitude, the wind here is usually not trivial, and I'm planning an oversized main (45" likely) because of the sticks hanging off the back. It is right at 2 lb 2 oz now, I am hoping to keep it under 3.3 lbs, so I can fly it at our normal monthly launch...it's gonna be close, but I'm not optomistic.

I'm not doing a build thread as this build will take quite awhile (started my Semroc Saturn 1B yesterday), there have been partial build treads done before, and I am not good at keeping up with it...in other word, I don't wanna. I'll post milestone pics here along the way though.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Last edited:
Nice looking upscale. What is the overall length? I've always liked the Satellite Interceptor.

Very nice build Chris,a real beauty !

I built the K&S version a couple years ago ,looks sweet when finished.

Keep up the good work ,it looks great :handshake:

Take care

Paul T

Nice looking upscale. What is the overall length? I've always liked the Satellite Interceptor.

Thanks! I think it is 59.25" (I could be off an inch or so, working from memory at the moment) which is a 2.66x upscale. I got lucky in that I ordered the Red Arrow nose cone without knowing the ratio since it was such a good deal and I was ordering motors anyway. It ended up very close to the correct proportions so I didn't have to fudge the length of the body which will make decal time easier.

Very nice build Chris,a real beauty !

I built the K&S version a couple years ago ,looks sweet when finished.

Keep up the good work ,it looks great :handshake:

Take care

Paul T

Paul, coming from you that is a real compliment. I've watched your build threads closely, and learned a great deal...hopefully my skills at execution catch up to my learning someday.

Last edited:
Finished! Basically anyway.

It fought me a bit on paint, but the decals only required patience...7 hrs worth of patience spread over 3 nights. There are imperfections, but this is better than I ever imagined it would turn out, so I don't even care they are there. BIG credit to Mark Hayes of Stickershock23 fame, the decals do everything for this rocket.

satint9.jpg satint8.jpg satint7.jpg satint6.jpg satint5.jpg satint4.jpg satint3.jpg satint2.jpg satint1.jpg

I still have to finish the altimeter sled, order the cable cutter, and clearcoat/future. Oh, and I also have to ground test as I got excited to paint and apply decals and only realized today I skipped that step. Gonna be A LOT of blankets in my yard that day.

Last edited:
beauty = decals + patience

That one will turn some heads.

Reaaaaallly nice!
When I first looked at the finish pictures (unblown up) I thought for a moment it was sitting on the floor next to the door. Was like, "wow, it's huge! That's gonna be tough to get out of the room!"

Tom

Thanks very much all. Even my wife thought this one was really cool. My five year old gave the best compliment when I showed him this morning, he stood there for about 15 seconds saying nothing with no expression change on his face. Finally, he shook his head and said "That is just awesome, dad." It's the first time I have seen him hold still without speaking while awake since he was born.

Unfortunately it will be some time until it flies. I am a chronic overbuilder, so as it sits, it is 3.0 lbs. That doesn't have altimeter sled, altimeter, battery, parachute, motor or 38-29 motor adapter...no way this thing is going to stay under 3.3 lbs with that stuff added, and there is NO WAY I am launching this relying on motor ejection only. I hope to Cert L1 in Dec with another scratch build "Favrit' 2 B", and then the first calm HPR launch this one is coming out.

Very Nice!

I always wanted to build a Satelite Interceptor. An upscale... Hmmm?

Keep up the nice work. :clap::handshake::cheers::wave::cheers::handshake::clap:

Thanks again for the kind words.

Paul: Why 4? Go 6", you may actually scare a satellite or two. If anyone could do it, it would be you.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Paul: Why 4? Go 6", you may actually scare a satellite or two. If anyone could do it, it would be you.

Yeah Paul! Build a 6"!

Hey everybody, Paul is going to build a 6" Satellite Interceptor!

So that`s how rumours get started !

I think the guy with the biggest ,newest wood lathe should be the one to do a BIG ,BIG version .......

......right Jim ? LOL

Paul T

8”? Please reconsider. I can't even fit my leg into an 8” tube. If you're going to build that big, go all the way, and make sure you can fit inside of it, and actually ride it. Otherwise, what was the point in building all those other rockets up to now?

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Paul is going to build a Mercury Redstone sized Satellite Interceptor and orbit the Earth in it!

8”? Please reconsider. I can't even fit my leg into an 8” tube. If you're going to build that big, go all the way, and make sure you can fit inside of it, and actually ride it. Otherwise, what was the point in building all those other rockets up to now?

I have been saying that for years...

Hey everybody! Paul is going to build a Mercury Redstone sized Satellite Interceptor and orbit the Earth in it!

I am glad the powers that be in Canada have come to their senses and put Paul in charge of the space program. A proud day here at TRF indeed.

Captain: You are going o turn the canonical nosecone for the project, correct?

I am glad the powers that be in Canada have come to their senses and put Paul in charge of the space program. A proud day here at TRF indeed.

Captain: You are going o turn the canonical nosecone for the project, correct?

That is so COOL! I'M GONNA FOLLOW THIS!

Nevertheless...

Paul, even though I think you're so awesome (although, admittedly, I don't really know you), it's rather rude to upstage the OP like that. I think you owe CI(VII) an apology. Next time, when the urge to boast overwhelms you, just start another thread (it's not that hard).

Last edited:
Back