2.56" satellite interceptor - Flown!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! The SI was my first rocket build back when I was 9. It had major paint runs and misaligned decals, but I loved that rocket. I actually kept it around hanging in my room until moved out.

I was considering building another, just out of nastalgia, but there is NO way I would be happy with a normal size kit now! I have started into 29mm with the Ventris, so I would love to build one suited to that motor platform. :)

Very cool! The SI was my first rocket build back when I was 9. It had major paint runs and misaligned decals, but I loved that rocket. I actually kept it around hanging in my room until moved out.

I was considering building another, just out of nastalgia, but there is NO way I would be happy with a normal size kit now! I have started into 29mm with the Ventris, so I would love to build one suited to that motor platform. :)

2" would be really nice, and almost assured to come in under 3.3 lbs, even if you go nuts with overbuilding.

It took two years, but it finally flew, and now I can call it a rocket and not just a model.

From the Tulsa Rocketry High Frontiers 12 launch in Palhuskia, OK this past weekend.

On an AT H112J to 1329 ft...a nice leisurely assent, perfect for a smokey. Very straight boost with no wind, almost no roll and perfectly stable. Despite a 45" Main it did break one of the aft tips on landing, which wasn't really surprising. I just cut the other one flush with the fin too, and sanded both smooth. A dab of paint and will be good to go.

go1.jpg go2.jpg go3.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Chris on a successful flight and to boot......great pictures of the boost......BEAUTY !!

You remind me of myself ,build a sweet rocket ,then don`t fly it for a few years ,why is that ?????? LOL

I guess I should dust mine off and fly it again ,it`s been awhile.

Take care !

Paul T

Thanks very much for the kind words gents.

Paul, this one took so long to fly because I was scared to fly it in all but perfect circumstances...low wind, soft field, etc. Also, I didn't have Rocsim until about 9 months ago and I didn't want to to fly it without a good sim. To sum it up, I was scared, and grasping for every excuse I could get.

Now it has flown, which makes it a rocket, not just a static model.

Back