Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks, as I write this, I'm going to pull out the old work horse and get something done on it. I'm grabbing the rocket as I type. Thank all of you. It's been a pleasure : )

Last edited:
Nice, Steven. This Mercury Redstone represents all the hope and triumph of human spirit as the real ones. :)

Steven, I wanted to let you know that your Redstone build was what inspired me to build one.

Thank you for the wonderfully detailed posts and excellent photography, along with amazing craftsmanship.

Keep up the good work (although mine is done I'm still watching this thread:pop:)

Steven,
Please continue with this thread. It'll help me get up the ambition to build my SHR Mercury Atlas...

Adrian

I've slacked off a bit due to some inclement weather here in Kent. When the sonne (That's German) comes out, I might feel more inclined to do some more work. I'm still working on the fin fillets with more filling and sanding until I'm satisfied. : )

You've done amazing work. I hope you complete this and move on to more projects. I'd love to see what you could do with a Soviet N1.

Me too! I've been silently watching this and your work is really amazing. I hope you can get the energy to pull this project out again.

Steven,I'm glad your still working on this very cool rocket of yours.You have skills that I will never reach.My prayers are with you my friend.Keep up the great work and know all of us are with you.Take care,cjp.

Welcome to the forum!

The dude rocket is cool, I remember those kits. Had one go flat after landing on it's first flight. Haven't flown the second one yet.

I used that green putty and it's only good for filling minor imperfections. Its eems as you sand it cracks more and shows more imperfections. I had to sand down to nothing on some fillets and start over

IMG_0001.jpg I've now decided to scrap the whole fillet thing and start over by using Red Devil spackle. It was always a good choice for my RC airplanes. This photo shows the removal of the Squadron green putty. Next will be a taping off of the scale fillet area, then applying the spackle.

I don't think spackle paste is a very good choice. You might want to consider reviewing threads on using filled epoxy or consider something like Bondo. Depending on how large your fillets are glazing putty might work.

I don't think spackle paste is a very good choice. You might want to consider reviewing threads on using filled epoxy or consider something like Bondo. Depending on how large your fillets are glazing putty might work.

If you look at a photo of the fin section on the real one. you can see how the fillet spreads out in a triangular fashion. I chose spackle to recreate this while I've used epoxy for the main fillet. I can then use CA on the spackle, sand it down, and it should work out. I have thought of Bondo as well. I like the stuff too.

Back