Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven, that is more than attention to detail! I still have an original Estes redstone kit that is un touched to this day because I don't have to patience to sit down and even get started with it. I did read all the instructions though... Does that count???

Steven, that is more than attention to detail! I still have an original Estes redstone kit that is un touched to this day because I don't have to patience to sit down and even get started with it. I did read all the instructions though... Does that count???

Instructions? :confused:

Next will be some Plastruct angle in 1/16th size. I just ordered some on ebay and it will be here before the month is out. In the mean time, I may start planning out my rivet detail next. I'm so glad I finally got out of the fin fillet situation as it was really holding up any progress.

Well, looks like there's plenty of replies here Steven. But I'll chime in anyhow. I occasionally do launches with a rocket club in the Jefferson County area, near Port Townsend. It's pretty close to you there in Kent. I also come over to the Tacoma Seattle area. If you'd like to do some rocket launches, say at Marymoor (or perhaps a better place?), I'd love some company. I have some small and medium powered rockets that need a pretty darn big field.

IMG_0001.jpg This is the beginning of the riveting. I'm just using watered down Titebond in a syringe.
IMG_0002.jpg Will be a long road here folks.

You have more patience than I. I'm about to give up on sanding primer.

Steven, do you know about the International Space Modeling Contest? Teams from around the world compete in scale modeling of spacecraft, like yours. Last year's contest was held in Bulgaria. The USA team consisted of several members of the NARHAMS club here in Maryland.

You should check it out. Looks like you are going to have a competitive model there. I imagine it is also a great way to meet other scale modelers and discuss craft.

You have more patience than I. I'm about to give up on sanding primer.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had the same issue trying to get the fin fillets smoothed out with constant sanding and filling even though they are paper. You typically get a bit of glue here and there, sanding scratches or sanding so much that I began to delaminate the tube itself. A lot of crap I had to fix or dress up because of being overly rambunctious. Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing with sanding primer? What grades of paper are you using, wet or dry sanding, any filling in between, what filler if any, and for that matter, what is the size of the rocket too?

These and other factors can make or break the patience of anyone's will to carry on. My bi-polar disorder is my biggest enemy causing all sorts of grief and will to carry on. So I sympathize with anyone who is running into a lack of interest in anything. I think it goes without saying that you have the support of everyone here to get that bastich project of yours under control. :wink:

Steven, do you know about the International Space Modeling Contest? Teams from around the world compete in scale modeling of spacecraft, like yours. Last year's contest was held in Bulgaria. The USA team consisted of several members of the NARHAMS club here in Maryland.

You should check it out. Looks like you are going to have a competitive model there. I imagine it is also a great way to meet other scale modelers and discuss craft.

It sounds familiar. The problem is that I'm not much of a contest guy. Don't like to travel much either. As far as modeling of all sorts is concerned, I never have entered anything before in a contest for that matter.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had the same issue trying to get the fin fillets smoothed out with constant sanding and filling even though they are paper. You typically get a bit of glue here and there, sanding scratches or sanding so much that I began to delaminate the tube itself. A lot of crap I had to fix or dress up because of being overly rambunctious. Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing with sanding primer? What grades of paper are you using, wet or dry sanding, any filling in between, what filler if any, and for that matter, what is the size of the rocket too?

These and other factors can make or break the patience of anyone's will to carry on. My bi-polar disorder is my biggest enemy causing all sorts of grief and will to carry on. So I sympathize with anyone who is running into a lack of interest in anything. I think it goes without saying that you have the support of everyone here to get that bastich project of yours under control. :wink:

I'm using automotive self etching primer. Sticks to pretty much everything. Downside is that is has to be REALLY dry before you sand it, or it'll clog up your sandpaper. I'm using it to fill body spirals. I'm on my fourth coat. Sanding it down dry with 150 grit on a block and sponges for the fin can.

I'm using automotive self etching primer. Sticks to pretty much everything. Downside is that is has to be REALLY dry before you sand it, or it'll clog up your sandpaper. I'm using it to fill body spirals. I'm on my fourth coat. Sanding it down dry with 150 grit on a block and sponges for the fin can.

If I understand correctly, self etching primers aren't the first choice as a filler primer. Self etching primers are usually used in automotive painting procedures as a preventative way to keep rust from forming. It contains phosphoric acid and zinc. The acid forces the zinc into the metal. It's purely a surface coating. Automotive epoxy primers are the high build primers. I'm not aware that etching primers are meant for sanding or not. I could be wrong though.

Steven...just spent some moments catching up on your Mercury Redstone build.....she is looking AWESOME so far!! You are doing an amazing job here!

Steven...just spent some moments catching up on your Mercury Redstone build.....she is looking AWESOME so far!! You are doing an amazing job here!

What more can I say? You guys just make this possible for me to continue on. Thank you very much. :)

IMG_0001.jpg And now the icing. I use Red Devil lightweight spackling. This stuff sands easily. After this is done. I'll finish off with the riveting.

Hi Steven. Nice work......Say is there a way to get in touch with Sheri? She owes me a 1/48 scale Saturn 1B, and an aluminum rocket nozzle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks = )
James

Hi Steven. Nice work......Say is there a way to get in touch with Sheri? She owes me a 1/48 scale Saturn 1B, and an aluminum rocket nozzle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks = )
James

No, I'm certain you won't be able to get a hold of her, but ask Red Arrow Hobbies what they can do. If you have a receipt, they may be able to work with you. Also, if you're up to it, try taking her to court. Fair is fair and right is right. BTW, thank you for your comment too. :wink:

IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0005.jpg I got the 1/16th angle from Plastruct today. These will be placed just over the access panels in a curved shape as the photos on page eleven of the real fin can show.

Last edited:
I got the 1/16th angle from Plastruct today. These will be placed just over the access panels in a curved shape as the photos on page eleven of the real fin can show.

Where the fin extensions meet the main fin?

In response to your previous question to me; While self etching primer isn't ideal because it's not high-build, it is sandable. And I like it because it sticks pretty well to just about any surface, i.e. epoxy clay, cardboard, plastic, wood... I've had pretty good luck with the stuff. The downside is that it doesn't build nearly as quickly. I think I'm just going to lay one more coat of self etching down, then go to a couple of coats of filler primer, then go to my colors.

Back