Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now waiting for some decal setting solution to arrive. Depending on which arrives first, the solution or the carbon fiber rods for the new tower, will indicate what area I'll start off with.

IMG_0002.jpg Here's a bit more work on removing the old glue rivets. At this point, I have what I want removed leaving behind what doesn't look too bad for me. Once I start laying down the 3D rivet decals, I'll be able to see any substantial differences. If necessary, I'll remove more.

IMG_0001.jpg My decal setting solution arrived today and I'm now ready to apply my 3D rivet decals to the booster. :clap:

IMG_0004.jpg Here I've cut a length of rivets which I'll start placing on the fin canister where I originally used glue rivets. I'll submerge them in water for around ten seconds, apply more water on the area to receive them, lay them in place then start 'painting' on the solution with a brush allowing this to soften the decal making it able to work around corners without creasing.

IMG_0003.jpg This is my Black Forest Norwegian cat. She's fifteen years old and weighs fifteen lbs. to boot. These are a large breed of cat. I call her "Squitch" due to the sound she makes when getting down from something. Not a very accurate description of a sound really, just something that came out of my mouth when I first heard her 'grunting' as she landed. I lost my other female cat last year on 7-2-2014 due to kidney failure. She was an orange long hair of sorts and was seventeen when we put her down. I cried like a baby. I think she's in a few photos in my album here.

Last edited:
View attachment 256426 This is my Black Forest Norwegian cat. She's fifteen years old and weighs fifteen lbs. to boot. These are a large breed of cat. I call her "Squitch" do to the sound she makes when getting down from something. Not a very accurate description of a sound really, just something that came out of my mouth when I first heard her 'grunting' as she landed. I lost my other female cat last year on 7-2-2014 due to kidney failure. She was an orange long hair of sorts and was seventeen when we put her down. I cried like a baby. I think she's in a few photos in my album here.

Nice looking cat. I can relate to losing a pet. The last dog I had to put down, I cried for days.

IMG_0001.jpg Pretty much the end of what I had initially done on this panel. I will admit, this project has taken me to my limits. There is a need to do better and do more yet I feel I can't take it where I want to. My patience is wearing thin.

Placing individual decals like that can be a major pain in the ass. I've found that marking where I want them to go with a divider caliper before placing them.

Placing individual decals like that can be a major pain in the ass. I've found that marking where I want them to go with a divider caliper before placing them.

These are actually cut off in strips to the length you want. Still quite formidable when my wish is to do the entire booster. I'll see.

View attachment 256669 Pretty much the end of what I had initially done on this panel. I will admit, this project has taken me to my limits. There is a need to do better and do more yet I feel I can't take it where I want to. My patience is wearing thin.

This looks pretty awesome! I should try them some time.

This looks pretty awesome! I should try them some time.

This photo is the one I had some trouble with in removal of the glue rivets I had first layed down. We'll see when I get the rest of the riveting done on the other panel. And thank you very much too.

IMG_0002.jpg This is the opposite panel where I was able to remove the rivets much easier. It turned out better. Priming of everything will tell. Now on to more.

IMG_0004.jpg And here they are in place. These are going on much quicker than the ones wrapping themselves around corners and such.

The new pictures more clearly show how they go on. Neat idea.

Looking very cool. Is one sheet going to be enough? :p

Out of curiosity, what reference are you using for your rivet placement?

I've just ordered three more sheets plus hatches and circular panels from the same company. I'm using what little information I've been able to find on the internet. There are a few photos back on page 11. That's all plus just some creative license on my part to fudge things when photos run short of detail. :dark:

View attachment 257275 This is as far as I can go having only two rivets left. I've ordered more from Archer Transfers so rivet detail will be on hold till then. I am trying to get the nerve up to redo the LES as I've canned the original design opting for a more scale like appearance. This might take awhile. I can also do more work on the window too depending on my mood.:)

Nice!

IMG_0001.jpg I've received my order from Archer Transfers already and I've done a bit more here. I ordered more in a smaller scale using more rivets per inch to break things up a bit. They will be added along with the present G scale rivets. I'm actually liking this as I'm getting the technique down. Good for me! :grin:

Back