Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's too bad that I have to resort to this long route now instead of simply pasting the photo directly on here as normal. I hope the administrators get this fixed.

When using Flickr, if you click on the share button, which looks like a right arrow, you can copy the BBcode and embed the picture in your post.

I have decided to end the detailing process as I felt like I was flogging a dead horse long enough and was no longer enjoying it. I'm just going to get the tower finished off, slap it on the capsule, get this pig painted and be done with it.

I have decided to end the detailing process as I felt like I was flogging a dead horse long enough and was no longer enjoying it. I'm just going to get the tower finished off, slap it on the capsule, get this pig painted and be done with it.

"Like"

I've done stuff like that too. It usually means one of two things. 1) I need a beer, or 2) I've had too many beers.

Thank you guys so very much! I'm so grateful to be in such good company! You are who inspire me to carry on when I feel like throwing it all out. I'm in the process of masking off the fin can for the black paint. When I'm finished with the booster, I'll start on the capsule and tower. I'm just going to throw the tower back in it's 'stock' form and get it finished with the resin nozzles, paint and decals. The capsule I'll still need to finish off with detailing such as painting the window area with some kind of light to medium blue, either paint or use Flite Metal to get the aluminum trim done within, lay the two panes of 'glass' in and final painting and decal work.

For anyone who has this kit, you'll know of the myriad of decals you can apply to the capsule. I'll go as far as I can with this. I've already got the recovery system in hand having bought the chute, Kevlar shock cord, nomex blanket, swivels and quick links. It's slowly coming together and I feel I'm in the back stretch now. Thank you yet again!!

These are the problem areas I encountered during painting the fin can black. Too many, but I will be able to correct all this.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I just shot the white and now I have more touch up. I must be getting high on fumes. This is not the way I've done things. A lot of carelessness here.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I now have before and after shots of the damaged areas. They turned out better than what was initially there but not perfect as they should be. I'll finish off any tiny problems with paint markers.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 28
And the remaining booster decals. These are all burnished on with the exception of the black stripe running around the top of the fin can. As you can see, there are areas that I will touch up with paint markers.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

That's looking amazing. I had some paint lift with the masking tape on a recent build as well. Frustrating.

My paint markers should arrive by Monday, July 6th. Either on that day or the next, I'll be putting finishing touches on the booster. I had sent Dave from Red Arrow Hobbies an email concerning another checkered decal for the booster. The one I had seemed like it was nothing more than a print on normal paper. I had delaminated the entire thing trying to 'peel' the backing off. Didn't find a bit of adhesive anywhere on this decal. I've no idea what happened. Still waiting for a reply from him.

Dave from Red Arrow Hobbies just sent me and email saying he's out of the checkered decal for now. One to two weeks it should be in. The paint markers came today so I'll be doing touch up work soon. It's become unseasonably hot around here and I've become rather lethargic but it is my intent to finish the booster off as soon as possible then carry on with the capsule and recovery system.

And here are the paint markers. They've been painting the inside of the package with the white being the worst. The first pic is the black marker on it's side You can see how flattened it is. So now I'm waiting for the checkered decal AND a new set of markers.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Back