OpenRocket: Can't select motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang, can I get some input here? I'm trying to run sims in OR and hit the wall when selecting motors. It doesn't do anything when I hit the 'select motor' button. I don't get any new window opening or popup.

The weird thing is it worked a few times but for the life of me I don't know what I did different. I've tried several different rocket files with the same problem. I've tried 2 different PCs (Win7 64 and Win XP) with the same problem. Running v13.09 on both.

I can post screengrabs if needed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Be sure you define the motor mount as a motor mount.....

Double click on the motor tube, pick the "motor" tab in the resulting dialog and tick the "this component is a motor mount" box.

Last edited:
I assume the 'select motor' button isn't greyed out, as it would be if e.g. you didn't have a tube defined as a motor mount.

Are you trying to select a motor for the initial "No motors" configuration? You have to define a new configuration (which initially will be called "No motors" too) and then
select a motor. Which is, I think, bad and confusing interface design, but there you go.

Curiously, if I open up the flight configurations dialog on a model with only the "No motors" configuration, the "Select motor" button is initially not greyed out, but it does nothing. If I then click on a motor mount to select it, the "Select motor" button greys out.

Then if I click "New" to make a new configuration, the "Select motor" button stays greyed out, until I click on a motor mount... and then it's un-greyed, and it works.

Which is even more confusing.

Curiously, if I open up the flight configurations dialog on a model with only the "No motors" configuration, the "Select motor" button is initially not greyed out, but it does nothing. If I then click on a motor mount to select it, the "Select motor" button greys out.

Then if I click "New" to make a new configuration, the "Select motor" button stays greyed out, until I click on a motor mount... and then it's un-greyed, and it works.

Which is even more confusing.

That was it, that was exactly it. Thanks so much!

(and yeah that is odd and unclear and counterintuitive and confusing and ... well, you get the idea LOL)

Seems to me everything except the "New" button should be greyed out whenever the "No motors" configuration is the one selected. Also seems to me that when a new configuration is created it shouldn't be called "No motors"; that confuses me, because then you have two configurations with the same name that look exactly alike, but you can select a motor in one and not the other.

Additional confusion if you define two configurations using the same motor (but, for instance, different recovery deployments); they get the same name.

(and yeah that is odd and unclear and counterintuitive and confusing and ... well, you get the idea LOL)
That's one thing I really don't like about OpenRocket - the motor selection process. I much prefer the Rocksim button interface - simple, click motor icon to load motor.

Back