Scratch 6" IRIS build (blue Tube)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hey guys here is my finished 6" IRIS scratch Rocket that I have been slowly completing. Umm.. 5 months in the making.

Here is what she has...
6" blue tube
119" tall
6" diameter
98mm motor tube, 24" long
Exactly half scale of the real deal https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/iris.html
120" top flight chute
Sky Angel Cert 3 drogue chute
1" tubular nylon shock cords(custom)
Painted with...Rustoleum white primer, Gloss white, Gloss red, Gloss black, Gloss battleship gray
2 Perfect Flight Altimeters main at 1000' and backup at 700'
1/4" aircraft grade ply-wood
1/2" centering rings (3)
2 layers of 6oz S-Glass from US Composites and epoxy from US Composites
3 1010 Rail buttons from LOC Precision
Big Red Bee 900 GPS (no Ham license)
Garmin etrex 20
Aerotech M1297W
Igniter from Quick Burst (fat Boy)
E-matches (quick Burst)
Shock Cord protectors and chute protectors from LOC Precision
All Stainless Steel quick links and I-Bolts
6" gel coat nose cone from Rocketry Warehouse
No added nose weight for the M1297W.....2 Calibers of stablity with motor
I do not have final weight with laundry and motor yet. Imagine all under 35lbs with motor..estimated

View attachment 146984View attachment 146985View attachment 146986View attachment 146987View attachment 146988

Wow! Great looking build!Will you post pictures when it's launched? :cheers:

Hope to launch it this weekend in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Representing Tulsa Rocketry, but they are forecasting rain on saturday, sunday looks nice. But I wanted to launch on saturday, because that is when all my family is coming to watch. But oh well that is the nature of this hobby; at the mercy of the weather.

Andrew

That's a beautiful rocket. I think the parachute on the dryer in the last pic may be a little small for a safe recovery.

That's a beautiful rocket. I think the parachute on the dryer in the last pic may be a little small for a safe recovery.

That's not a parachute, silly. That there is one o them new newfangled double barrel sling shots! :wink:

Adrian

Interesting. I didn't know Victoria's Secret had an outdoorsmen section.

Adrian ,

Your IRIS looks very very nice ,it is a great looking replica of a great looking sounding rocket (probably why I also built one ,although only 4")

Hope the launch goes well ,as I suspect it will !

Take care

Paul T

Heres Video!!! M1297W 6000' landed 50 yards from pad!!!! Whoop!!!
[video=youtube;J675GKaRvXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675GKaRvXg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPjlvqAuOaucRqe6uK2BbUA[/video]

Back