OpenRocket, Windows7-64bit, and Java

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCotner

Reaction score
My openrocket doesn't work; new and old versions. I have Java Sun RTE 7.4 (I think), newly updated. Openrocket opens, but is incapable of opening dialogue windows; e.g. I can add or delete components from a design but I can't edit those components because the edit changes are done in a pop-up window which doesn't appear. Any ideas? I think it's a java permissions problem, but that's just a hunch.

I'm running with Java 7 update 45 on Win7-64 and all I get is the splash screen followed by a big trace file with a name in the form hs_err_pidXXXXX.log, containing 25 kB or so of stack traces, thread dumps, and so on. I'm suspicious of the high initial heap usage and tried a .bat file that tweaked the heap size, but can't get it to run because I don't know the name of the main class in the JAR file...

The command c:\"Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xms32M -Xmx64M -jar OpenRocket-13.11.1.jar just returns the error "Could not find or load main class files"

This is embarrassing as I was a Java developer 4-5 years ago and I can't even get an application to work

Mark Johnson
NAR 14025 L1

I was experiencing something similar. In the end the problem was an incompatibility between the JVM and the ATI video driver. (nothing to do with OpenRocket) You might try fiddling with your video driver or updating it directly from AMD.

--MCS

That's pretty suspicious because you shouldn't need to specify the main class. The -jar VM option tells the runtime to look inside the jar for a special file (META-INF/MANIFEST.MF) that tells it what the main class file is. Is your OpenRocket-13.11.1.jar directly downloaded from the website or was it modified or created in a different way?

At any rate, the main class is net.sf.openrocket.startup.Startup

That won't help too much because you'll need to remove the -jar on the command line and craft an entire classpath composed of all of the necessary dependencies. That's a pain. Better off trying to figure out why it failed after the initial splash screen. Not sure TRF will allow log file attachments, but it'd be nice to be able to see it. Perhaps sent it to me privately.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug has it right.

Perhaps more interesting is what the output of

jar -tf Openrocket-13.11.1.jar

is.

Kevin

That's pretty suspicious because you shouldn't need to specify the main class. The -jar VM option tells the runtime to look inside the jar for a special file (META-INF/MANIFEST.MF) that tells it what the main class file is. Is your OpenRocket-13.11.1.jar directly downloaded from the website or was it modified or created in a different way?

At any rate, the main class is net.sf.openrocket.startup.Startup

That won't help too much because you'll need to remove the -jar on the command line and craft an entire classpath composed of all of the necessary dependencies. That's a pain. Better off trying to figure out why it failed after the initial splash screen. Not sure TRF will allow log file attachments, but it'd be nice to be able to see it. Perhaps sent it to me privately.

Cheers,
Doug

I was experiencing something similar. In the end the problem was an incompatibility between the JVM and the ATI video driver. (nothing to do with OpenRocket) You might try fiddling with your video driver or updating it directly from AMD.

--MCS

Thanks, I'll try that in the next few days!

Sent you the trace file as 3 private messages (darn message size limits)

Will next try to look at the JAR file contents...I'll have to go download a full JDK, the v7 JRE doesn't include jar.exe (why, I do not know.)

Mark J

The JAR file was directly downloaded from the website, and jar -tf shows that it doesn't appear to be corrupted in any obvious way...which I suspected based on the splash screen being displayed. My laptop is fairly 'vanilla' at this point, and I don't have any checksum programs at hand, but I don't think that's the problem here.

Mark J

The stack trace indicates that the JOGL 3D libraries are calling into your ATI video driver which blows up. As MCS indicated, try updating your video drivers.

Doug

Worked like a charm...thanks for the help. Interestingly, the stack trace was complaining about ATI video drivers but my laptop (a used Lenovo from a major 3-letter company's refurb pool) has an Intel graphics subsystem. In any case, using the Windows Device Manager to update the video drivers did the trick nicely. I am now happily designing and simulating away...

Back