Personal Launch Report - ROC-2013-09-14 - Clear, hot, and calm makes for great launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday the 14th of September was the September edition of the Rocketry Organization of California launch out on the historic dry lake bad at Lucurne Valley California. I awoke at 6:30 and was on the playa at about 8:45. I don't think my friend David saved that spot next to his trailer for me, but what heck... :eyeroll: temperature was about 28C and would climb during the morning to about 38C. Winds was calm. :smile:

I arrived just in time to see David launch one of those new Estes ETX rockets with the D12 add-on lower stage. It went unstable and drove the sustainer into the playa. :facepalm:
Re-edit: It was a booster 55 that simply should have worked. Poopy clay is a poopy argument I am not buying. I was there. I saw no vectored thrust. It was UNSTABLE as far as I was concerned. But I did remove Estes taunt. My friend launched an ETX-Rocket with a Booster 55 that to my eye was unstable. YMMV. ROCKSIM or OpenRocket is still you friend.

All my rockets were prepped about 45 days ago. :y: A vacation and work got in the way of getting to the launches last month. Good new is, all I had to do was unpack, verify battery voltages, fill out a flight card, and fly.

First I put the maiden voyage on the Warehouse Rocketry Formula 75 on a H180-8. The Perfect Flite Stratologger was in the nose cone and connected to an Archetype Rocketry Cable Cutter. I love these cutters. It's dual deploy my way. Let the motor kick the bundle out, let the altimeter cut loose the chute at 500'.

9753690395_114eb704ea_b.jpg

The H180 lit using the supplied Aerotech (First Fire?) igniter and off we went for a Perfect Flite recorded 958'.

9753497941_8a46355d4e_b.jpg

9753498691_45b7e91719_b.jpg

A lob. But good for a first flight. The chute bundle was ejected a tad late but the cut delay according to the altimeter data was 9 seconds not 8. Close enough. The cable cutter went off as usual, no issue. Probably my 10th or 12th cable cut? The Formula series are basic, good looking, good flying, high value, 4FNC rockets.

The 48inch PML chute streamlined longer than I'd like but did finally catch air and all was well. Revcovered just beyond the far pads.

Last edited:
Next up I flew my rugged Giant Leap T-Bolt. Like the Formula 75, this rocket, as most of mine do, have build threads here on TRF. I tried something new, an Estes F26FJ-6 loaded in the adapter. And an Estes Altimeter recording the flight. Never flew the Estes SU (of course Aerotech).

9753512781_f312d24a28_b.jpg

I used an old Fire-in-the-Hole igniter I bought years and years ago. Still worked.

9753724155_075608c9de_b.jpg

Nice black smoke. Not a lot of impulse 62ns or 1/2 a full F. And the altitude reflected that. 607 feet. Another lob

9753727554_acbec83a5a_b.jpg

A little under powered and a little long delay... but alls well that ends well. It's a tought bird. Barely broke a sweat recovering tho by now the temp was 30C or 31C. However it was clear and calm.

This next rocket is always fun fun fun... The Pemberton Technologies 3FNC (build thread is on TRF). Today sporting an OLD Aerotech F50. The kind with the specs printing on the casing. Came in the clear bubble pack.

9753539341_3b4193d617_b.jpg

One think about this rocket, packing the chute and cords is an art. Once packed... Leave it alone!! I tried to slip the Estes Altimeter in there, and had to repack everything, and still did not get it to fit.

So no Altitude. Took off fast and the '6' second delay was more like '8' :y: but it all hung together...

9753543182_b751a171cf_b.jpg

9753822803_b97f2fe41c_b.jpg

9753546782_6fa469903d_b.jpg

Still this rocket looks better with effect motors. More flame or smoke or both. I have several picture in my flicr albums or right here on TRF in my launch reports showing better mojo for the 3FNC. Cool rocket aye? Highly recommended. Llamas make interesting rockets.

Last edited:
Temp was now getting to 32 or 33C but the skies were clear and calm. I had more rockets prepped... so I next picked up the Sea Gray. A scratch built rocket designed with a lot of inspiration from a Shrocks design (Sea Snake?).

In it was another one of those OLD Aerotech engines. Like the prior launch the F25-9 was a full 80ns F (testing says more like 70ns). Or so it said on the side of the case. Of course -9 is WAY too long so an old MissileWorks RRC2 was called in to do the deployment duties.

9753750756_15e1e12114_b.jpg

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Nada... Ok... so much for the copperhead... I grabbed a Quickburst Twiggy. However I forgot that you are supposed to cut and remove that protective cover. Well someone else said it'll work either way, just 'better' without the cover...

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... ffffttt ft fffffffttttttt ffffft fft ffffttt ft fffffffttttttt ffffft fft ffffttt ft fffffffttttttt ffffft fft

It chuffed like mad!:lol:

9753557682_34bc4cbe24_b.jpg

But after chuffing for about 10 seconds... off we went (probably lost 10 ns!) ;)

9753761146_baf0546fcf_b.jpg

9753839583_1af783975c_b.jpg

Takeoff was weak and so it took a good turn East before really moving out. I was worried if the RRC would arm! But worries aside, the RRC did its job... but it was easily the longest walk of the day! :y:

I did get rather lucky. When I got to the rocket there was no beeping... my switch jumper had come loose. Must have been on touch down. It could have been worse if it has happened at launch! :y: So no altitude as the RRC2 loses it on powerdown.

Last edited:
As I get older, I am a little wimpy'er on the heat index. Losing some weight would help too! :eyeroll:

Anyway looking at what I had not flown, I could go with the F50 in the AT IQSY Tomahawk or my newly minted Quest High-Q (both have build threads on TRF) loaded with a E28. After that, since it was noon, I vowed to pack it up and not push myself in the heat (even tho it was still clear and calm, and about 35).

The choice was really no choice. Off to the pad we went with the Quest High-Q.

9753771126_03a4644190_b.jpg

The delay was stock -7 (NAR says -5). Whatever... off we went (using my Firestar Fs-12 leads dipped in Magnelite).

9753780085_4d7ef0338d_b.jpg

After launching 1 to 4 pound rockets, this 8 ounce round went so fast I only caught one picture! :surprised: :lol:

The flight was perfect to an Estes Altimeter recorded 1013' (309m). The chute streamlined in the protector for WAY too long :y: but eventually did catch air. As a result the walk was much shorter! :lol:

All in all, a great morning on the playa! I arrived about 8:30am and left about 12:30pm. Four hours of perfect HPR. No lines (lots of peeps at XPRS?). And Jack from Whats Up Hobbies was at XPRS. I bet Discount Rocketry did a better business for it! :lol:

I met a boat load of TRF'ers there. Too many to mention.

For the CTI fans out there, I was just in the mood to burn off some of my long lingering stock of Single Use motors. But fear not, I lent my 29mm 6G-XL casing out and that resulted in this nice 305H226‐14A photo!

9753757136_08f54c4e8d_b.jpg

One other photo I particularly like:

9753734735_5fee469ce9_b.jpg

I got a photo or two of other TRFer's launches. They are all here on flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffgortatowsky/sets/72157635526618474/

Comments and hate mail welcome... thanks for reading!

Great report! I always enjoy them.

On a side note, that Archetype Rocketry cable cutter is so cool! I think I have seen it in passing but I never gave it any attention. What a clever, nifty and simple dual deployment device! So many other possibilities as well. That is going to be the dual deployment solution for my next project, an NCR Big Brute rebuild/clone. Such a practical solution for dual deployment in short, stubby rockets.

I also can see this being part of a strap on booster release system for 4+ SRBs (like a Delta model). For example, the boosters would connect to the sustainer via square tubular "pegs" sticking out of the top of each booster and they slip into corresponding square holes on the sustainer. I imagine the corresponding square holes to extend and meet in the middle of the sustainer with a common ejection charge. Then, place band of zip tie around the entire circumference of the boosters at the base, connected to an Archetype cable cutter. Set the timer to pop the zip tie .5 seconds before it fires a charge to eject the boosters via the common ejection charge and square tubing.

That might be hard to picture but imagine the boosters being connected like a parachute pods on an Estes Gemini DC except the boosters separate at the connection point rather than directing gasses for parachutes ejection. The zip tied band and cable cutter set up around the base of the boosters just hold them on until ejection.

Sorry to digress… The report was great:)

Last edited:
Great report! I always enjoy them.

I also can see this being part of a strap on booster release system for 4+ SRBs (like a Delta model). For example, the boosters would connect to the sustainer via square tubular "pegs" sticking out of the top of each booster and they slip into corresponding square holes on the sustainer. I imagine the corresponding square holes to extend and meet in the middle of the sustainer with a common ejection charge. Then, place band of zip tie around the entire circumference of the boosters at the base, connected to an Archetype cable cutter. Set the timer to pop the zip tie .5 seconds before it fires a charge to eject the boosters via the common ejection charge and square tubing.

I too think side boosters on pegs with a cable tie holding at the top, or holding a spring loaded mechanism at the top, then cutaway at burnout is an 'interesting idea'. Glad you liked the report.

Always enjoy your reports. Your Formula 75 turned out well. Mine has turned into one of my workhorses. Did you put altimeter for cable cutter in nose cone?

As always Jeff ,another great report ,and of course.....GREAT pictures !

OBTW- I do really think that scratch build "Sea Gray" thingamajig rocket is an awesome looking bird.....love it buddy :handshake:

Take care

Paul T

Always enjoy your reports. Your Formula 75 turned out well. Mine has turned into one of my workhorses. Did you put altimeter for cable cutter in nose cone?

Thank you all for the comments so far!

Yes. The build thread shows the all-thread rod in the nose. The sled has 1/4 inch launch lugs on it that slip onto the all thread. The vent holes have to be lined up when you insert the nose. There is a rotary switch on the side of the nose cone.

All shown in the build thread.

Thank you all for the comments so far!

Yes. The build thread shows the all-thread rod in the nose. The sled has 1/4 inch launch lugs on it that slip onto the all thread. The vent holes have to be lined up when you insert the nose. There is a rotary switch on the side of the nose cone.

All shown in the build thread.

Thank you. Not sure how I missed your build thread on this as I usually follow your build threads like your launch reports.

It really does. When I hold a piece of paper up to the screen, the rocket isn't straight.

Beautiful bird's! You must be pretty good with that camera, as fast as they come off the rod and get such nice, clear, stable photo's, Respect.

I'm actually hoping to get in a few launches this next week also, I hear there's a lot of wind in Ok. so we'll see.

Good job cleaning out the motor stash.

Great pics... but your High Q looked better in person!

Thanks for the launch report, your detail is spot on

Kenny

I met a boat load of TRF'ers there. Too many to mention.

I got a photo or two of other TRFer's launches. They are all here on flickr.

Thanks for another great report. If I'd known you'd be taking pictures, I might have cleaned up the paint job on the Loc 3.90 V-2 nose cone! it was modified for cable cutter DD using ideas from many of your posts, so thanks for those by the way. Video link of flight with onboard camera showing deployment sequence for any interested is at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v5gTjc4c07k&feature=c4-feed-u

Wonderful video. I too had the Formula 75's chute streamline a little before the protector got out of the way and the chute caught wind. The 48 inch I used was the smallest I have used. Others like my 56, 60, and 72 are packed tight and pretty much burst open. I think you want to use the SMALLEST protector you can get away with so that when the cable cuts, the packed chute forces the protector open. Otherwise air pressure can keep the protector wrapped.

Good job cleaning out the motor stash.

Great pics... but your High Q looked better in person!

Thanks for the launch report, your detail is spot on

Kenny

More to come Kenny. Those SUs... no point in 'hoarding them'. ;)
Thanks so much for both of you stopping by and saying hello. Its awesome to have so many TRF friends from around SoCal and indeed from around the Southwest!

Jeff

Back