Idea for an online tool... A scale "slider"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my idea, but I lack the skills to implement it.

You go to a website with a java script on it (e.g. Freeware)... You plug in your original's body tube (Say BT-50), then your desired upscaled body tube (Say BT-60). Then you input your original part's length, and out pops your upscaled length (computed to decimal places and fractions of an inch, along with metric). You could also put in a tool that helps figure out how many lengths of tube you'll need for your project.

Now that I've typed this, I'm sure that someone will throw up a link to exactly what I'm looking for. If not, programmers, you've got your mission... Now Go!

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

My 'New posts' search resulted in this post coming up twice - this one and one with a timestamp 3 minutes later. I posted a reply in the latter (which appeared first on my results list - go figger...)

Yeah, making the same post twice in different areas of the same forum is not good IMHO... It's annoying and anyone wanting to answer doesn't know which one to answer in...

Later! OL JR :)

Open Rocket has a scale feature. You can scale any design up or down by percentage. It automatically converts the sizes of all the components.

Yeah, making the same post twice in different areas of the same forum is not good IMHO... It's annoying and anyone wanting to answer doesn't know which one to answer in...

The two identical posts where made just two minutes apart... I have a feeling it was unintentional.

-S

Open Rocket has a scale feature. You can scale any design up or down by percentage. It automatically converts the sizes of all the components.

The problem here is that OR and RocSim must be installed on a computer. Sometimes, I'm doing my research at school or at a library, and I don't have admin privileges for software installation. Hence the idea that it would be a java script or something that could be accessed directly from the WWW.

Oh, BTW... The double post was an accident. I have no idea how it happened. Perhaps a moderator can "fuse" the two and delete the duplicate.

Last edited:
The problem here is that OR and RocSim must be installed on a computer. Sometimes, I'm doing my research at school or at a library, and I don't have admin privileges for software installation. Hence the idea that it would be a java script or something that could be accessed directly from the WWW.

Oh, BTW... The double post was an accident. I have no idea how it happened. Perhaps a moderator can "fuse" the two and delete the duplicate.

I wonder if you could run Open Rocket from a thumb drive.

As long as java is installed on the computer, OpenRocket can be run from a thumb drive.

Well, one of the best tools for scaling is a slide rule. Trouble is, most folks don't have one, and a lot have no idea what I am talking about. :)

Once you align your tube values on the two main scales (C and D), then you can slide the cursor to original body tube length and get the upscaled (or downscaled) tube length.

If you have a laptop with you, then a spreadsheet to do the calcs would be very easy to write.

Ya know, scaling really isn't that hard...

It's really easy to do with a calculator. If you use the scaling percentages sheet that I've posted before (and I think someone posted it on this question over on YORF so I won't bother posting it again here unless someone specifically wants it) all you have to do is multiply the tube length and other dimensions (save angles which remain the same) by the scaling percentage to get the upscale/downscale tube length and other dimensions...

For instance, a BT-60 is 1.637 inches in diameter, and a BT-80 is 2.600 inches in diameter. If we want to upscale a BT-60 rocket to a BT-80, dividing 2.6 by 1.637 gives us a result of 1.5883 (rounded up) or a 158.3% upscale... if the original BT-60 rocket body tube is 18 inches long, the BT-80 should be 18 X 1.5883= 28.6 inches long (rounded). If the original fin root edge was 4 inches long on the BT-60 rocket, 4 X 1.5883= 6.35 inches long fin root on the upscale... If the fin tip is 2 inches long, 2 X 1.5883= 3.18 inches (rounded) fin tip on the BT-80 model...

It's really not that hard when you simply think of it as percentages... (move the decimal two places to the right).

Just choose what type size you want to upscale or downscale to, divide by the original tube size to get the "scaling factor" percentage of upscale/downscale, and start multiplying everything else by that scaling factor...

That's an easy javascript project. If someone has a list of common body tube outside diameters (and lengths, if available); or can point me to one - I'd be happy to write up the code. Once that's done I'm sure there's someplace that can host it.

Good idea, and here is the calculator:
Upscale Calculator

I'm trapped at work, using MSIE 8. FWIW, it's not working on this pc - the combobox to the right of Manufacturer (I'm guessing its the tube names) doesn't populate, so there's nothing to process.

Are you going to add Blue Tube?

5 hours later - on a proper computer

Much better on Firefox!

Last edited:
These are nice BUT what about those that upscale and go to something OTHER then a standard industry size?

What we have been doing is taking the kit dimensions and making a spreadsheet showing the original size and what the upscale factor is and up scaling them to the the dimensions that the parts need to be,

like this
View attachment Scrambler Upscale.xlsx

Which resulted in
image.jpg

These are nice BUT what about those that upscale and go to something OTHER then a standard industry size?

What we have been doing is taking the kit dimensions and making a spreadsheet showing the original size and what the upscale factor is and up scaling them to the the dimensions that the parts need to be,

like this
View attachment 146473

Which resulted in
View attachment 146474

So, If I understand what you are saying... You'd want a tool like this where you could put in your upscale factor... say (numbers picked at random) 2019.7% because that'll give you a rocket that is exactly 15' long and you want the tool to give you lengths of parts.

I could dig that.

What would be nice is if it could also show you (as far as body tube sizes go) the nearest matches from various manufacturers.

So, If I understand what you are saying... You'd want a tool like this where you could put in your upscale factor... say (numbers picked at random) 2019.7% because that'll give you a rocket that is exactly 15' long and you want the tool to give you lengths of parts.

What would be nice is if it could also show you (as far as body tube sizes go) the nearest matches from various manufacturers.
OK, give the updated version a try:
Upscale Calculator

Back