Just Got My 808 Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a Member on here that flew the 808 on their Estes Crossfire ISX and it seemed to fly fine even though the Camera is twice as wide as the Body of the Rocket.

Sure, I'm not going to put it right above a fin :) Didn't realize that was stupid while writing.

I know that good enough is, well, good enough and past experience has proved it was fine. I'm just new to the hobby and trying to understand the factors that can influence the flight. Like I said, this is all pretty theoretical.

One other thing you might think about is shimming up the lens end of the camera off the body tube a bit... sorta like adjusting a mirror on a vehicle-- The most field of view is obtained when the image in the mirror only contains the side of the vehicle for about 1/4 of the image... the rest should be the "surroundings" behind and beside the vehicle... Similarly, I've seen a LOT of rocket videos where virtually HALF the picture is of the rocket tube and fins... with only the "upper half" of the picture being of the surroundings visible as the rocket is in flight. Shimming the lens end of the camera up a little bit off the tube can reduce the amount of the tube and fins in the picture, allowing more of the surroundings behind the rocket or on the way down to be visible in the video, making for a more interesting video IMHO...

Later and good luck with your project! OL JR :)

One other thing you might think about is shimming up the lens end of the camera off the body tube a bit... sorta like adjusting a mirror on a vehicle-- The most field of view is obtained when the image in the mirror only contains the side of the vehicle for about 1/4 of the image... the rest should be the "surroundings" behind and beside the vehicle... Similarly, I've seen a LOT of rocket videos where virtually HALF the picture is of the rocket tube and fins... with only the "upper half" of the picture being of the surroundings visible as the rocket is in flight. Shimming the lens end of the camera up a little bit off the tube can reduce the amount of the tube and fins in the picture, allowing more of the surroundings behind the rocket or on the way down to be visible in the video, making for a more interesting video IMHO...

That's a great suggestion. I'll be using it next Flight.

We recently purchased the 120 degree lens camera and have had excellent success with this unit.
We have tried a few different ways of mounting, we always use double stick tape and we've used zip ties and tape. We've had better luck with the zip ties. The tape tends to flutter at higher speeds causing a high pitch whistle. We've currently found that you can buy the lenses individually which has a long ribbon on it, so we're currently working on a project to mount the camera on the inside of the airframe and that way only the lens will be exposed. They also have a remote on/off switch which is ideal for this type of application. Will post a video here later on this set up once it is finished.
But for now these are the shots we are getting currently, which are almost HD looking.
[video=youtube;65xpRyeXSS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65xpRyeXSS4[/video]

In these videos, yes those are smoke tracers. I use them every time we launch above 6,000ft. Have used them in over fourteen launches now and they work absolutely fantastic.

Please tell me about the smoke. It's something I've been looking at. Pm me if you wish

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Yes, these smoke tracers are actually from SportSmoke link: https://tinyurl.com/ne49trx
They use them for paintball, movies, parachuting (the smoke bomb on the bottom of their boots), special effects, etc.
I fire them off from my altimeter, connected to the drogue chute circuit.
They really help as far as spotting your rockets.
There have been a lot of people coming up to me saying they wish all the rockets have these, they are much easier to trace and enjoyable for spectators watching, as opposed to a rocket taking off and vanishing.
I will make a video later on the complete set up and how easy it is to use these (will post it later).

Here is a video of the smoke bomb, this one is the pull trigger type, the electric match,hooked up to your altimeter, works the exact same way.
[video=youtube;0kDwf5SQw9w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDwf5SQw9w[/video]

Last edited:
Exactly the same idea and setup I've been looking at here in the UK. About to order some. Was not so sure on white so was going for colour but white looks pretty good.

Mounting it to the shock chord was my next thing. Was thinking about making a small tube for it to in with anchor point I can attach to shock chord. Bulk head one end and a bolt across the other to hold in place allowing quick change.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I didn't mean to turn this into a smoke thread (maybe I will start one after we finish a video on it).

But, I mount it using the paper tube that Aerotech gives you on their reloads that they put their "E" Match in. I cut it in half and epoxy it to the outside of the smoke bomb then run your shock cord through it, I tie a knot to hold it next to the Av Bay and run the "E" Match through the bulkhead with the ejection charge and connect it directly up to the drogue circuit (I would ground test, that your altimeter can handle two "E" Matches on the same circuit before launching). Other than that, it works great!

Luke, if you noticed, on my last Onboard Video I did the Shim thing and it worked out great!

[video=youtube;SO6ylhJma9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6ylhJma9U[/video]

Last edited:
We recently purchased the 120 degree lens camera and have had excellent success with this unit.
We have tried a few different ways of mounting, we always use double stick tape and we've used zip ties and tape. We've had better luck with the zip ties. The tape tends to flutter at higher speeds causing a high pitch whistle. We've currently found that you can buy the lenses individually which has a long ribbon on it, so we're currently working on a project to mount the camera on the inside of the airframe and that way only the lens will be exposed. They also have a remote on/off switch which is ideal for this type of application. Will post a video here later on this set up once it is finished.

I'm working on a design to do exactly this and have purchased a 808 #16 with 120deg lens but am still awaiting delivery. Is it possible you could take a few measurements of the lens/camera unit and circuit board for me so I can start mocking it up in my design?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've just been super busy. I don't have the cameras apart right now, but the one with the 120 lens is 2.350 in length, the width is the same as the other ones which is 1.274 and the height is .620.

I see there is a new 808 camera out, #26 version. It says it is 1920 x 1080, 30 fps with an H.264 .AVI
The current 808 #16 with a V3 120 degree lens. It says it is 1280 x 720, 30 fps .MOV

Has anyone tried this new 808 #26 version yet?

Would one of these cameras fit inside a BT-60 sized tube, mounted at a 70 degree or so downward angle? I'm designing an upscale of an Estes Ecostar and instead of putting a clear payload tube on it, I was just going to make the upper tube into an altimeter/camera bay.

Would one of these cameras fit inside a BT-60 sized tube, mounted at a 70 degree or so downward angle? I'm designing an upscale of an Estes Ecostar and instead of putting a clear payload tube on it, I was just going to make the upper tube into an altimeter/camera bay.

I've put one in a BT 55. Camera was modified to point out the side and I used an external mirror to look down. The mirror let it down as it was not big enough and there was lots of reflection.
https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2764

Thanks! I'm not sure I'll go as far as you did with relocating the switches and lens, but that looks great!

Here's the next way I'm going to fly the 808. I have 2 now, so though you don't see it in this Pic', there will be a second Camera mounted to the second Boom for Balance and double the Video Pleasure.

CameraMTTST81Boom 001.jpg

These cameras can be disassembled and the camera/lens can be moved away from the circuit with an available extension cable. I am planning to do this in my build. I am attaching a few pictures, I am using the 120 deg 808 #16 and separating the battery and camera from the board to make them fit in my space.
camera cross section.PNGP4020276.jpgP4020277.jpgcamera sled.PNGstock camera transparent case.PNG

Last edited:
Back