7.5" - 6" Terrier Sandhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Justin! Any plans to do a new improved Radio Flyer? Perhaps with GPS and a couple pyro channels? That would be very cool :)

I still use the original every now and then, but no plans for a new one at this time. It served such a small niche market, but still had some neat applications. Besides, dad and I had a blast with the system back in the day. :)

Any video of the flight by chance?

Justin

Well, I sure enjoyed using it, that was great fun.

Funny you should ask about the video, I just finished it.

[video=youtube_share;5Pb-PRVPawc]https://youtu.be/5Pb-PRVPawc[/video]

Jerry, hope you don't mind, but I posted the video in the Regional Or Local Events in the BattlePark January 10th and 11th! thread.

Fantastic flight. Glad I was able to watch it. The LDRS flight should be great!

Fantastic video.
Just wonder how you managed not to get an heart attack?!?
Congratulations again... very impressive.

Great job, Jerry! Wow; that thing really accelerated off the pad!

The video is very well done; and so much to be learned about the rocket just from reviewing the video. Cool that you flew it at Culpepper; indeed that group has been flying for a LONG time!

Well done, sir!

-Eric-

Awesome video all round but I particularly like the upward view from the booster to see the sustainer light.

Great video! I really like the forward facing camera on the booster :)

Have to ask... Were you controlling separation and staging from the ground? If not you must have had a stopwatch or something of the like to call the events so closely over the mic.

Yes, I collaborated with John at Transolve to develop a custom unit to control staging, separation and chute deployment. That way I can NOT fire the sustainer and deploy the main if the cluster doesn't light all at once. He now sells them (called a TripleFire). You do have to have 2.4ghz RC equipment though (transmitter and receiver). I think it's the only safe way to do clustered 2-stage flights.

Great video! I really like the forward facing camera on the booster :)

Have to ask... Were you controlling separation and staging from the ground? If not you must have had a stopwatch or something of the like to call the events so closely over the mic.

Yes, I collaborated with John at Transolve to develop a custom unit to control staging, separation and chute deployment. That way I can NOT fire the sustainer and deploy the main if the cluster doesn't light all at once. He now sells them (called a TripleFire). You do have to have 2.4ghz RC equipment though (transmitter and receiver). I think it's the only safe way to do clustered 2-stage flights.

Thanks. Yes, I have the TripleFire. My plan was to use it to inhibit, versus enable, but still a ways from completing design. Glad to see it "in action".

Great video. I like the forward facing camera view of the staging. I don't think I've ever seen that view from an amature rocket. It looks like you using a pair of Mobius cameras, right?

Thanks John! It's no NM but might be the best field on the East Coast....

Yea, inhibit would be great, not sure how to make that work, but if you have ideas I'm all ears. This was probably the 6th flight, works like a charm but of course does involve adding some complexity in the air and on the ground. Saved our asses when 4 of 9 Cesaroni blue motors catoed though. No staging and immediate main deployment saved what could have been a really bad day. [video=youtube;tnRh-Mf0Gio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRh-Mf0Gio[/video]

Yes, and the (slightly modified) mounts/shrouds from Andrew Diehl. Love those little cams.

Great video. I like the forward facing camera view of the staging. I don't think I've ever seen that view from an amature rocket. It looks like you using a pair of Mobius cameras, right?

Back