X-Winder: Carbon Fiber Rocket Body Cost now little more than Cardboard Cost

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-Winder

Reaction score
[video=youtube;jR4fZx_fl48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4fZx_fl48[/video]

We created the X-Winder because of the huge cost savings we could realize and because we've had many, many requests for lighter, stronger rocket bodies and casings - and we could not find any efficient way to produce the required parts. To our knowledge, this is the worlds first small scale, desktop affordable filament winder for the maker and hobbyist from X-Winder.com . We begin taking orders on Kickstarter in a couple of weeks. There's a spec sheet on X-Winder.com for the 4 foot and 8 foot models. Here is a short trailer #1 video of the X-Winder in action.

Do you sell parts? I cannot afford the machine, but I would be interested in a few small body tubes.

Interesting but one would also have to add the cost of mandrels being made.

X,
I may be interested in adding this to our current capabilities. Keep me posted.

Charles

Hi Charles - Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Xwindr . All updates make it there first.

CWBullet - thanks - also be a follower on Twitter

BotScott08 - yes - the 8 foot version will be available on 9/21/13 on Kickstarter. Here is an early bird special with $100 off the regular price.

BavSpaceProgram - about 1/4" outer diameter is about as small as you'll want to go.

BlackBrandt - NO - we are in the filament winder biz. Maybe get a friend or two who also need CF tubes/parts and buy one together on 9/21 on Kickstarter

31 March.....any one know how much tow goes into a 4 inch tube.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

31 March.....any one know how much tow goes into a 4 inch tube.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I do know that tow is a LOT cheaper than the equivalent volume of cloth. By a large margin.

The X-Winder 2.0 is now available to order thru Kickstarter.
You'll need an Amazon.com account to become a backer and place your order.
The Kickstarter link is --> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1157143472/x-winder-20-the-original-desktop-filament-winder

We expect to deliver winders in June if you are part of the first 100 orders. If we go over 100 orders, your
delivery slot could be several months later. Also, after the Kickstarter campaign is over, we do expect a price
increase of $50 to $100 USD.

Prices for the Kickstarter Campaign are:
Control Box and Software = $395 USD
Control Box and Software and Frame Parts = $795 USD
Control Box and Software and Frame Parts and "XL" motors = $995 USD
Control Box and Software and Frame Parts and "L" motors = $1,195 USD

Thanks
X-Winder, LLC

I wish I could afford this... Sigh... Would save me so much money... :)

Looks like you already got to your Kickstarter goal, and you only have seven backers at the moment. That is kind of impressive, hopefully when I get a job after I graduate I can pick up one of these.

How easy would it be to do a nose cone on one of these? I'm assuming it's all in the programming, but as I am not well versed in machines of this nature, I don't know.

Interesting product. I am trying to justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

How easy would it be to do a nose cone on one of these? I'm assuming it's all in the programming, but as I am not well versed in machines of this nature, I don't know.

You can do a nose cone, but you won't be able to get an actual point at the nose, probably something like 8mm rounded end that would be a bit blunted or rounded.

I also imagine you could cut the very top off and add a metal tip like Wildman does.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

You can do a nose cone, but you won't be able to get an actual point at the nose, probably something like 8mm rounded end that would be a bit blunted or rounded.

Thanks for the response.

I also imagine you could cut the very top off and add a metal tip like Wildman does.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

Back