Estes #2056 M-104 Patriot CF On A G-80???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
What would happen if you made the little 21" long Estes LPR Kit into a Carbon Fiber Build and put a an Aerotech G-80 Single Use Motor in it? Granted, you'de have to think up something pretty clever for a safe Recovery, but just for conversation sake, what would the Ride be like???:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Taylor Jessie flies a cf wrapped Estes Fat Boy on 38mm I motors. There's only enough room in there for a streamer and tracker.

Once a long time ago, a friend did that except skipped the carbon fiber. It appeared to hold together, but there wasn't much evidence it ever existed once the fire button was pressed. Bye.

...and if it survives I'm sure I'll be talked into flying a G80. :)

DSC01773 (683x1024).jpg DSC01774 (683x1024).jpg DSC01775 (1024x683).jpg

Last edited:
The "G" stands for: "Gee, I wonder where it went?" :wink:

I would say it would absolutely disappear like a bullet. You might have a smoke trail, but that's about it. Be fun to watch, though!

I've done it. Minimum diameter 38mm fiberglass and Kevlar reinforced on an H242T. Again, appeared to hold together but never recovered.

Would a Streamer bring it down safely? I have a G80-10T I need to find a use for. I would assume the Rocket would still be going pretty fast after a 10 second delay. I don't have Carbon Fiber nor the Carbon Fiber Skills, but a little bit of Fiberglass on the other hand.....
Perhaps there is a really fast Patriot in my Future. I would'nt want to go hacking up the one I just finished. I feel a Scratch Build coming on.....
I really need to get my Computer fixed so as to be able to download a Simulation Program. Right now, it won't even let me download Attachments in Emails. Tried turning off the Firewall, to no avail.

I just played with a .rkt file opened in OR... changed things to CF and a 29mm MMT... it needed 16oz. of nose weight to be marginally stable... so not as fast as a nice long, light weight minimum diameter would go... You better add a six foot shock cord to that little beast! If that NC comes off, look out!

Just launch your regular Estes Patriot on an Aerotech 18mm RMS D21. It teleports off the pad if you blink and is pretty loud. It usually gets everybody's attention. Flights to well over 1000'. oh.. and I haven't lost it yet!

Jerome

Last edited:
See yah !

I do like the color scheme you used, pretty close to actual rounds I`ve seen and have pics of.

Oh well, that what we have memories for :wink:

Paul T

Please do Film the Launch!!! AWESOME!!!
Might be a good bet to use a Single Use Motor for the first Flight rather than risk losing your Reloadable.???

Not being much of a betting man, I will use SU's only (don't know how my 29/40-120 got in there, I blame the antihistamines) . Here's the recovery device:

DSC01777 (1024x683).jpg

i would definitely use a tracker or a really reflective streamer. i lost two LOC aura's on the old style G80's...the new ones have even more impulse.

10 seconds should be fine with a streamer in a low mass rocket...the drag will slow it right down.

Back