Airstart SUCCESS with PET2! Pics and video!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusSRG

Reaction score
Thanks to all of your help on here, I successfully put up my LOC Ultimate on (2) H220T, airstarted (1) G79W and (2) G64W at 2 secs and (2) F20W at 6 secs. Drougeless at apogee, main at 500'. Max altitude 3158'. Airstarts via Missileworks PET2 timer with dipped 8" Q2G2s (some with extended leads to reach the terminal blocks) dipped in Magnelite ClusterFire pyrogen. Dual deployment via Missileworks RRC2. Perfect flight and recovery a few hundred feet from the pads.

Here's a link to Tom Binford's video. I'll get some pre/post flight pics up soon. You will see that the G's really get it going and it flies out of frame at burnout. You can hear and briefly see the F20Ws fire up but it was way up there and right in the sun. Feels good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JJbUD5Hme-4

Well, there's the coolest thing I've seen all day. Congrats. That second firing really kicks it into high gear. Nice Work!

Most excellent! Congratulations on a really cool flight.

Oh man, thanks dudes! Once I figure out how to get my picture size down again I will post my pics. No Launch shots though. I do have a nice sequence of vidcaps, however.

Great flight Marcus! Did you use dipped Q2G2s for the ground started H220s as well?

Heck no! I used FirstFires! I found that in 2-3 motor clusters they are very reliable... Just do a continuity test. I've seen a guy on here use them in a seven motor G80 cluster. As long as the launch system provides sufficient power and you give the igniters a lot of slack to fly with the rocket if some are late.

Q2's dipped work great but they have to be extended for bigger motors which can be a pain. I also ground start with magnelites. That's the most reliable for large clusters in my opinion. Despite their confusing pyrogen/lead listings on their site.

I also painted the top of each motor with a little pyrogen. Some motors were single use but they were all LMS so I could build them myself and augment the top of the grain

Marcus -

Fantastic flight and great execution of your project.
That is a large cluster, and you nailed it.

Congrats.

Marcus- First---AWESOME JOB !!! Im trying to plan a cluster-DD using the same electronics.MS PET2+ for airstarting and the MS RCC2+ for the DD. Modifiying my LOC 4-29SS for DD. Im not sure of the motors yet. Maybe 2G138 groung then airstarting 2F reloads. Advise??
Ed

Marcus- First---AWESOME JOB !!! Im trying to plan a cluster-DD using the same electronics.MS PET2+ for airstarting and the MS RCC2+ for the DD. Modifiying my LOC 4-29SS for DD. Im not sure of the motors yet. Maybe 2G138 groung then airstarting 2F reloads. Advise??
Ed

Is today necro day?

Back