Nike Ram/H Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I'll admit up front that there is much I do not know about rocket history. Right now, I am looking for any information on Nike Ram and/or Nike H. Everything I find online leads back to model rockets, not any original.

Did these actually exist as a real prototype?
Are they or are they not the same?
Can anyone provide references?

Thank you

Last edited:
Here are some additional questions:

What is the relationship between the AAA Model Aviation Fuels Nike Ram/H and Enerjet's? I see that the AAA instructions and decal both bear the Enerjet logo.

Talk about a blast [heh] from the past. I've got here a 1990 AAA catalog. Let's see what it says...

There's the Nike-H kit, and then there's the Nike-Ram 2. Both are listed as 2.6" diameter, 44.5" long, 16 ounces, both use pretty much the same graphic in the catalog, just at different angles. Both kits feature plastic nose cone, plywood fins and centering rings, ripstop nylon parachute, and elastic shock cord. The Nike-Ram has a 29mm motor mount, whereas the Nike-H kit comes with a 38mm mount. Each has a list of "recommended motors" that haven't been in production in at least 15 years. The Nike-Ram 2 is listed at $34.95, and the Nike-H $5 more.

Talk about a blast [heh] from the past. I've got here a 1990 AAA catalog. Let's see what it says...

There's the Nike-H kit, and then there's the Nike-Ram 2. Both are listed as 2.6" diameter, 44.5" long, 16 ounces, both use pretty much the same graphic in the catalog, just at different angles. Both kits feature plastic nose cone, plywood fins and centering rings, ripstop nylon parachute, and elastic shock cord. The Nike-Ram has a 29mm motor mount, whereas the Nike-H kit comes with a 38mm mount. Each has a list of "recommended motors" that haven't been in production in at least 15 years. The Nike-Ram 2 is listed at $34.95, and the Nike-H $5 more.

Wow.

A scan of that catalog would be most appreciated. I'm willing to do it myself and pay the expenses both ways if you are willing to trust me with it.

Do you know anything about a relation between AAA and Enerjet?

Also, is the NIKE Ram/H a figment of the imagination like the Estes Nike X or is it based upon a real rocket?

Thanks

The fins are very much Nike-trapezoidal fins...but that's about it. I'll see what I can do for a scan in the next few days.

The fins are very much Nike-trapezoidal fins...but that's about it. I'll see what I can do for a scan in the next few days.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Also, the offer on the catalog stands. If you want to have a place like Kinkos do the work, I'll foot the bill.

JAL

The Nike Ram was a model rocket kit producted by the Enerjet division of Centuri Engineering from 1972-1976.

It is not based on any 'real/actual' rocket.

I still have a Nike Ram kit in the box (Pictures attached).

Centuri/Enerjet had been out of business for many years when AAA brought out it's 'Nike Ram'. There is no relation between the companies.

Enerjet Nike Ram 01 and Box 001.jpg Nike-Ram Open.jpg

The Nike Ram was a model rocket kit producted by the Enerjet division of Centuri Engineering from 1972-1976.

It is not based on any 'real/actual' rocket.

I still have a Nike Ram kit in the box (Pictures attached).

Centuri/Enerjet had been out of business for many years when AAA brought out it's 'Nike Ram'. There is no relation between the companies.

View attachment 144636 View attachment 144637

That's priceless! Thanks.

May I use the photo of the box?

Wow.

A scan of that catalog would be most appreciated. I'm willing to do it myself and pay the expenses both ways if you are willing to trust me with it.

Do you know anything about a relation between AAA and Enerjet?

Also, is the NIKE Ram/H a figment of the imagination like the Estes Nike X or is it based upon a real rocket?

Thanks

Here's a link to the 1987 AAA catalogue on the Ninfinger site ( https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/AAA87/1987_AAA_ModelAviationFuels_Catalogue.pdf ). The early Nike-Ram 2 had only 3 fins and the Nike-H didn't appear until 1988. By 1990, they both had 4 fins and the only difference was in the motor motor mount.
Hope this helps.

Sean

Also, is the NIKE Ram/H a figment of the imagination like the Estes Nike X

The Nike X was not entirely imaginary. It bears a pretty good resemblance to the LIM-49A Spartan missile; not scale, but very similar:
View attachment 144695
Still, the Army continued to develop an anti-ICBM weapon system referred to as "Nike-X" - that was largely based on the technological advances of the Zeus system. Nike-X featured phase-array radars, computer advances, and a missile tolerant of skin temperatures three times those of the Zeus. In September 1967, the Department of Defense announced the deployment of the LIM-49A Spartan missile system, its major elements drawn from Nike X development. — Wikipedia, "Project Nike"

The early Nike-Ram 2 had only 3 fins and the Nike-H didn't appear until 1988. By 1990, they both had 4 fins and the only difference was in the motor motor mount.

You're absolutely right; I hadn't noticed that. The 29mm kit had a different graphic in the 1988 catalog that showed 3 fins. By 1990, the catalog showed the same 4-finned graphic for both kits.

Trying to decide if DJDeadParrots avitar is some sort of alien symbol or a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.

Trying to decide if DJDeadParrots avitar is some sort of alien symbol or a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.

It'll be most easily recognized by gamer geeks as a slightly stylized version of the Horde logo from the MMORPG World of Warcraft.

Back