Need Review: Lots of Mods to A Kit, Little John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NattyDread

Reaction score
This was a madcow Little John paper rocket, 38mm motor. After a number of flights, amputations and application of fiberglass to the top for repairs, I want to convert it to a dual deployment rocket to practice so I can get the hang of electronics and dual deployment before I buy a large rocket. The rocksim file has these changes and see my questions.

-Started with the original madcow rocksim file.
-Added a coupler with bulkheads for altimeter. Copied the specs from another madcow design for these parts.
-Added an 18" section on the nosecone side. Copied the specs from another madcow design for this
-I changed the mass to the current weight, plus an estimation of the new parts, no motor.
-I have not calculated in the hardware and sled/electronics yet to the mass.
the modified rocksim file is attached

Questions:
Anything obviously wrong, like the length and the CG to CP? Is TOO over-stable bad.
Is my general methodology correct in how I am approaching this?

thanks in advance for any advice.

View attachment Little Jon with Mods for Dual Deployment Version 1 sept 2 2103.rkt

I design a very special coupler that add only 8" to my Madcow Fiberglass Little John , it's only to add the altimeter as I will use a charge for apogee and a cable cutter for the main. I don't want to add to much lenght as the fins are small. I will take a pic tomorrow as my shop is close now. As you can see on the pic , my CAL is 1,27

lj.jpg

The only thing that grabs me is move your parachute to the upper body tube and ad mass for the altimeter.

How did it turn out? I added a 12" section and the removable Madcow Ebay kit which is identical to the one I am using in my Patriot. It adds 15.5oz with battery installed. Cant remember the Stability off the top of my head, but I will attach my sim file when I get home, but with motor I'm thinking its around 1.3-1.5.

Back