U.F.T.Y.E.S.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez! That can't be right. I'm almost certain a D motor will send mine higher than that. G 69 should certainly give you 800 or better. Just guessing. I don't use OR except to view other ppls files. I really don't need a proggy like that to build rockets.

On another note, a G 80 took my 30 oz Cricket for a really nice ride. What's the dry weight of your build?

Geez! That can't be right. I'm almost certain a D motor will send mine higher than that. G 69 should certainly give you 800 or better. Just guessing. I don't use OR except to view other ppls files. I really don't need a proggy like that to build rockets.

On another note, a G 80 took my 30 oz Cricket for a really nice ride. What's the dry weight of your build?

unless it is seeing that ring in the back as an effective parachute. maybe someone
else can weigh in.

Hey, when I looked at the design in 3D, it looked as if the fins go through the whole fin can. Maybe OR is misunderstanding something.

Oh you are right. I only used 4 on the inside of the fin can. But what I did was told the fins to put tabs on them I will go in and delete 4 of them.

OK I played with open rocket till I liked what I saw. So I think this will be real close to what it will look like. Colors may change. And we shale see what the motor does when it flys. I will use the shortest delay however.

View attachment U.F.T.Y.E.S.ork

OK. I have done some more on this rocket. Like I said I am going very loosely on Garys original. So The previous post has the best I could do for an open rocket file. and here are some more picutres.
Dscn0122.jpgDscn0121.jpgMain body tube built.jpg

LOL. Ya I never have been one to worry to much about weight while building. I figure a bigger thrust will take care of a few more ounces. And this thing I figure is super draggy anyway. So what the heck. However I am using fast Cyanoacrylate for most of the upper build. This is the strangest rocket I have ever built and should be a blast to fly. I am looking at either a 24 or 30 inch nylon chute for it with 10 to 15 feet of Kevlar.

I'll be flying mine next weekend at the ROSCO launch with a D motor. I should have a video of it. I'll get to see how it REALLY performs.

That D12 (I assume) should make it set up and pay attention. No more falling asleep until 3 feet from the ground. LOL. The B6 with a 6 thrust got it moving pretty good. The delay was just too long.

Well I been just doing some surfing while resting after dinner and found the Nebulon Warrior. Turns out when all the math is done if you swap the bt20 for a 54mm mmt from LOC. You get an almost perfect 3 to 1 upscale and the cab is also right at 4inch diameter tubing. So i think that will be my next. I will do a build thread on it I think. LOL I better start stocking up on CTI 38mm G's huh.

That D12 (I assume) should make it set up and pay attention. No more falling asleep until 3 feet from the ground. LOL. The B6 with a 6 thrust got it moving pretty good. The delay was just too long.

The odd thing was, I didn't see the B6-2's in my box. Had I known I had them, I'd have gone that route, thus no carnage. Still would have been a low profile flight. I really didn't know what to expect from this test launch. Best guess with a D 12 will be with a 3 sec delay. I have about 12 new designs to fly at ROSCO. Including U.F.T.Y.E.S. I need to get some pics up. Most everything is either finished or in near stages of being done.

I take it you are going with a more conventional nose cone? Is the U.F.T.Y.E.S. nose cone a little too bizarre?

I take it you are going with a more conventional nose cone? Is the U.F.T.Y.E.S. nose cone a little too bizarre?

No the nose cone is not too bizarre. I actually like it. But I am going to be flying this in a week or so and may not have time to spin one up. And I suspect mine will be a little more nontraditional than your if that is possible. I have been thinking about it and I may start with a ram jet looking intake and break out my carving tools and carve out some vents like a turbofan jet engine. But that will be after it flys once. So to answer your question. Yes I am using a conventional nose to start with but no it will change. Here is the sorta finished product with out paint. I know it's a bad picture I will try to get a better one tomorrow.

building finished..jpg

No the nose cone is not too bizarre. I actually like it. But I am going to be flying this in a week or so and may not have time to spin one up. And I suspect mine will be a little more nontraditional than your if that is possible. I have been thinking about it and I may start with a ram jet looking intake and break out my carving tools and carve out some vents like a turbofan jet engine. But that will be after it flys once. So to answer your question. Yes I am using a conventional nose to start with but no it will change. Here is the sorta finished product with out paint. I know it's a bad picture I will try to get a better one tomorrow.

View attachment 147876
Looks good. You didnt waste any time building it either.Im still looking for my nuts...can.

It's an upscale (sorta) so I didn't need a nut can. LOL. I just cut a chunk of 8" sona tube.

OK here is the better picture. I had to let the slow set epoxy harden. LOL
Dscn0125 postable.jpg

I actually like the difference. 8 fins instead of 6, the exposed ribs are a nice touch and the NC even looks good on it. I still think the signature NC is what defines the U.F.T.Y.E.S. though. I do hope you decide to turn one of those.

OK gonna bump this thread. I am back after life got in the way. I never did fly the rocket shown but found out that Sona tube is designed to NOT stick to glue. So all 8 fins popped off. I have now peeled the outside of the tube and sanded it. I will now glue the fins back on and then figure out how I'm gonna paint this beast. But it is heavy. I think a minimum motor will be a G80 or G64 with an H in it's future. I will get back when it is ready to fly.

Dang! Talk about diggin up old bones...hahaha. Hope you been well dood. Funny thing, LW and I were recently discussing your take on this design and we had wondered what ever happened with it/you. Need to post a video when you get-er-dun...uh..(I really didn't say that, did I?) Can't wait to see a finished product AP.

that is so ugly, I would turn the fin can around and fly it backwards. :)

that is so ugly, I would turn the fin can around and fly it backwards. :)

It was designed to be an ugly rocket. I was blown away when people kept saying it wasn't so. Some them liked it. Thank you for having my back on that. If you think it's ugly, then we are 100% in total agreement.

I will fly it with the Dayton folk when I do fly it. Just got involved with them.

Back