TCC's October Skies - near Fresno, CA - Oct 18-20, 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdm

Rocketry Tourist
Reaction score
Next weekend - Tripoli Central California's October Skies Launch.

Great Weather forcasted - mid 60's during the day low wind.... kick off the Fall California Rocket Season at TCC!

https://tccrockets.com/

Great location (Del norte site this year), equipement, and club.

Night launches, free camping, vendors, and food for sale on site from Scout Troop.

Past wavier ~16,800 ft.

See you there!

Last edited:
Launch Update: Will be at Del Norte Site.

Proposed menu from Troop 594:

Sat:

- Continental breakfast (muffins, bananas, juice, coffee) - $1 each item
- Lunch: BBQ Smoked Sausage, Chips, Drink - $5
- Dinner: Tri-tip Sandwich, Ranch Beans, Drink - $8

Sun:

- Continental breakfast (same as above)

David, where is the Del Norte site?

I,m making a trip down to SoCal that weekend and was thinking I might be able to make a detour by the site and do a bit of shopping.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I,m making a trip down to SoCal that weekend and was thinking I might be able to make a detour by the site and do a bit of shopping.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Why do we need to know where you sent this Post from??? My Sons Teacher does the same thing on her Email Correspondence with me.

Sent from my E-Machines PC using Internet Explorer.

See, is'nt it annoying? You really don't care where I Posted this from, do you?

Kit,

Location is where they launch few years ago... just a few miles from Davis Road location. Below is from TCC website ... https://tccrockets.com/

Launch Site:
•Updated 08/16/13, 10:23pm PST
The Del Norte Launch Site has GPS Coordinates: N36 31'13" W120 4'34" (N36.520278 W120.076111 DD). . Drive down Kamm towards the dairy, about 1-2 miles you will see the TCC sign on your right. Make a right on the dirt road. Follow Del Norte down and you will see the launch site on your left, you will pass farm equipment on your left driving down Del Norte. DRIVE SLOW when approaching the launch site to avoid kicking up dust. You'll notice in the map below that the road with the farm equipment in the center is the dirt road called Del Norte.

Tell me if not clear

Kit,

Location is where they launch few years ago... just a few miles from Davis Road location. Below is from TCC website ... https://tccrockets.com/

Launch Site:
•Updated 08/16/13, 10:23pm PST
The Del Norte Launch Site has GPS Coordinates: N36 31'13" W120 4'34" (N36.520278 W120.076111 DD). . Drive down Kamm towards the dairy, about 1-2 miles you will see the TCC sign on your right. Make a right on the dirt road. Follow Del Norte down and you will see the launch site on your left, you will pass farm equipment on your left driving down Del Norte. DRIVE SLOW when approaching the launch site to avoid kicking up dust. You'll notice in the map below that the road with the farm equipment in the center is the dirt road called Del Norte.

Tell me if not clear

That's the field that was so treacherous...disked and very difficult to walk or drive on. Yes, I remember that one quite well. On the plus side, there were dirt roads for retrieval.

Thanks, David!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner because TopRamen asked so nicely.

That's the field that was so treacherous...disked and very difficult to walk or drive on. Yes, I remember that one quite well. On the plus side, there were dirt roads for retrieval.QUOTE]

I emailed Jack G and he replied "Actually good no furrows a flat soft pack". Sounds like similar conditions to the Davis Road site.

Why do we need to know where you sent this Post from??? My Sons Teacher does the same thing on her Email Correspondence with me.

Sent from my E-Machines PC using Internet Explorer.

See, is'nt it annoying? You really don't care where I Posted this from, do you?

Dude...take a deep breath and calm down already. It's certainly just the default signature line on his device. Lots of people don't take the time or don't have the wherewithal to dig into the settings and change the sig line, or remove it entirely.

What annoys me more is my friends with iPhones who have the requisite skills and knowledge but still leave the "sent from my iPhone" signature line on their e-mail. I routinely modify it on my replies:

"Sent from my iPhone, because if my phone and AT&T were worth a damn I would have called instead"

Mine usually says "Sent from my mobile device" so that people know why the messages are short. And that's what it will read on all future devices, until the time (if and when) I get paid to carry and promote the product, instead of having to pay to use it. But I don't get annoyed with people who don't share my opinion...it just makes me sad that they are so oblivious to how their personal lives and private communications are being exploited by the companies that make the products and services that they pay to use.

Now, CTI and Aerotech stickers on our range boxes...that's a different story! :)

TCC'ers (and other October Skies veterans),

I'm attending with my sons and a rocketeering buddy this year, it's our second trip. We were planning on coming down from the Bay Area on Saturday morning, and spending the day and early evening there to catch the night launches (and fireworks, if those are a regular feature). My assumption is that Saturday is the busiest day, where busy is a good thing...lots of stuff going up, but still no problems getting a pad and getting your own projects in the air.

Some family members and friends have expressed interest in going (as observers) this year, but we would have to come down on Sunday morning instead. I'd like to know how Sunday morning compares to Saturday, based on past launches. Is it as busy (good busy) as Saturday? Or at least busy enough to keep some casual observers interested? Do some fliers hold big projects until Sunday morning, before the winds pick up? Basically, other than the night launching and fireworks, I'm trying to figure out if the Sunday morning experience will be as much of a blast as Saturday was last year.

Thoughts?

Oh...we had a blast last year! Thanks to the TCC'ers (and everybody else who helped) for putting on such a great family-friendly/kid friendly event.

TCC'ers (and other October Skies veterans),

I'm attending with my sons and a rocketeering buddy this year, it's our second trip. We were planning on coming down from the Bay Area on Saturday morning, and spending the day and early evening there to catch the night launches (and fireworks, if those are a regular feature). My assumption is that Saturday is the busiest day, where busy is a good thing...lots of stuff going up, but still no problems getting a pad and getting your own projects in the air.

Some family members and friends have expressed interest in going (as observers) this year, but we would have to come down on Sunday morning instead. I'd like to know how Sunday morning compares to Saturday, based on past launches. Is it as busy (good busy) as Saturday? Or at least busy enough to keep some casual observers interested? Do some fliers hold big projects until Sunday morning, before the winds pick up? Basically, other than the night launching and fireworks, I'm trying to figure out if the Sunday morning experience will be as much of a blast as Saturday was last year.

Thoughts?

Oh...we had a blast last year! Thanks to the TCC'ers (and everybody else who helped) for putting on such a great family-friendly/kid friendly event.

Sunday launches are not as numerous as Saturday. Wrapped up around 3ish. Big Project tend to occur Sat and early Sunday.

I like to launch big Friday when easier access to pads, less wait time, less loading time presssure, etc.

Beautiful day today. Clear skies, no wind, and a nice field of alfalfa about 12" tall. There were a number of great flights (my L2 cert was not one of them, but that will be another post...)

Rub it in, Bill.

I was checking the LUNAR page on Facebook and saw the field. It was beautiful.

Kicking myself for not driving down there this morning as planned.

Rats!

The club publicity is working. My Dad who lives north of Fresno called me on Friday to let me know he read about the launch in the newspaper. He told me to check out he website. I reminded him that he went with me to a launch there back in February. His memory isn't the best.

That was the best Tri tip sandwich I have ever had. The sandwiches are worth the trip to the launch in and of themselves.

Rub it in, Bill.

I was checking the LUNAR page on Facebook and saw the field. It was beautiful.

Kicking myself for not driving down there this morning as planned.

Rats!

Kit, weather, launch, etc was great... but under the Alfalfa where furrows... close to road and flight line where deeper that in the field... and when you can't see because of covered might have been diffcult for you.

No internet/cell reception for me out there so I couldn't comment till now.

It was a supprise to Jack when I saw him hauling all it items over the furrows.

Last edited:
Back