Interesting Contest Idea...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpsilonAerospace

Reaction score
Last night, I was lying in bed, barely conscious, thinking about contest events that would really get your heart pounding, competitions for teams...

And I came up with... Rocketry Relay!

Here's the premise.

Start out with two teams (let's say teams of 5 for this example.) The teams are given identical rockets, enough supplies to launch a rocket five times per team (in this example), and a 'launch table' to prep the rockets. Two identical launch pads are set up, around 20 feet away from each other so that one team can launch while the other prepares their rocket on the pad.

At the start of the competition, the first member of each team steps up to the launch table, prepares the rocket, takes it out to the pad, launches it, runs out and returns it to the launch table, then steps away. The second member of the team steps up to the table and does the same, and this continues until the fifth member brings the rocket back to the launch table. The first team to complete this, wins.

Some rules:
A team is disqualified if the rocket is unfit to fly after any of the launches (broken fin, welded 'chute, etc.)
Only the competing member of each team is allowed to touch any rocketry equipment, and no one is allowed to touch the opposing team's materials.
And, of course, the NAR safety code must be followed at all times.

Whaddaya think?

I think that would be a great contest too. Might I suggest the following restrictions:

Streamers only - Reduce the risk of the rocket getting caught in a thermal
B engines only - Still get good altitude but limits possible damage on landing
limit body tube diameter to BT-55 or BT-60 - adds a little weight to limit altitude and keeps contestants moving
limit body tube length to 18 inches - quicker builds, minimize costs

Use saucers for similar reasons as above

John

I would recommend each team gets identical engine selection and can build a rocket within certain parameters. If they have the same rockets, it is about running and luck. But to keep things interesting, perhaps they must launch four times with a B6-4 and once with a C6-5.

I could see this modded for the Scout packs that we host:
  • each scout has the Alpha III that we helped them build
  • Scoutmasters/Helpers load each with an A8-3 or B4-4 (consistent)
  • kids break up into teams of 4.
  • Scoutmasters/Helpers supervise padding them
  • timer is started when each team's first rocket is launched
  • each team's next rocket is launched upon touchdown (or impact) of the previous rocket
  • timer is stopped upon each team's final touchdown (or impact)
  • team with the greatest time wins

If the launch system supports it (and the LCO can keep up), teams can launch concurrently

Back