FATBOY just about finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a bunch of BT-80's and the ESTES round nose cones laying around so I decided to scratch build a FATBOY

View attachment oop_Estes_Fatboy 24mm Single Stage 1.rkt

I used the .048 card stock that Apogee sells to cut my center rings and a LOC .095 motor mount tube. I like the LOC tubes because they thicker and withstand a lot more flights that the standard tubing. I painted it blue and white - nothing fancy. It was just the paint I had laying around. I have an extra "SCOOTER" decal I might put on it, but you guys would probably kill me :lol::lol::lol:

Also using about 18" of Kevlar as a shock cord anchor that's attached to a #1 swivel and the rest of the cord will be 1/8" nylon elastic. Probably use a "X" type chute to bring it down.

I used Duplicolor primer and wet sanded the last coat before laying down the top coat of paint...it turned out pretty nice. I'll post more pictures when it's complete.

IMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2276.jpgIMG_2277.jpgIMG_2280.jpg

Want decals? You can print this full size on the teastors decal paper half sheets. I had to change color scheme since I can't print white. This would look good with the colors you've painted.

Awesome Thanks!!

Those look really cool!!

I never printed my own decals before. Can I buy the paper on Hobbylinc's website?

For some reason, this has always been one of my favorite kits. I've "bashed" a bunch of them, making cluster, 24/29mm engines, and multi-staged versions. Wish they would put them back into production.

I have a bunch of the FATBOY nose cones (3) so I thought I would them up.

The one I'm working on now is an extended version with TTWF

View attachment oop_Estes_Fatboy 24mm EXTENDED Single Stage 1.rkt

The nose cone I had fit the body tube way too tight so I just cut 5" of body tube. Epoxied it in place and made a card board bulk head.

I have one more nose cone so I'll probably go with a 3x24 cluster or maybe a two-stage configuration either single motor or a cluster???

Here are some pictures of the one I'm currently working on....

IMG_2286.jpgIMG_2287.jpgIMG_2288.jpgIMG_2289.jpgIMG_2292.jpg

The center rings are made from .048 card stock that you can buy at Apogee Components that I cut myself. The engine mount tube is a 24mm LOC tube. It's a little thicker than most tubes, which is why I prefer to use it over the standard tubes that are out there. I cut about 1" of tube coupler and braced it against the front center ring as added support. I'll also do the same for aft section of the airframe and give it a nice coat of epoxy. The fins will be cut from 3/16" balsa. I'll use wood glue to attach them with and then come back over with epoxy fillets. Using 5 minute BSI since that all I have left.

I still need to fill the spirals on the tube. In fact after I post this thread I'm off to the auto parts store to get a couple cans of primer. I find that I like the red Duplicolor primer better than the gray. I usually use the gray primer as a "guide coat" that tells me how far I sanded down or where my low spots are are at. I spray a lite coat over the red primer before I sand.

Anyway I'll post some pictures when completed.:)

A very easy and fairly cheap to clone model.

Yes hobbylinc carries the testors decal paper.

OH YEAH! Go with the 3 x 24mm! Or a single 29mm (will 3 fit???). Here are a couple of mine - a 29mm "stock" made w/cardboard centering rings, balsa fins, and yellow glue (epoxy was used to fix broken fins), and a 24mm booster to 18mm upper I call the "Lawn Boy" (John Deere colors)
fb01.jpgfatboylaunch2.jpg

Notice the flame is bigger than the rocket...

lb03.jpg Made so you just slip engines in, pack chute, and fly - booster has engine hook.lb04.jpg

Got to love the Fat Boy.

TA

Yessir ,and so easy to clone, just a Mosquito with smaller wings is all :wink:

I built a Fatboy clone last year ,stretched it 3" and made it a 4 x 18mm cluster ,a very sweet flyer indeed !

I want to make others in various motor configurations with military missile schemes added.

Hmmmmm...maybe I should get on that ,as I have a pile of BT-80 tubes and a bunch of nosecones......

This is a great thread :clap:

Paul T

Oooo a three 18mm cluster, crap now I gotsta build another one.

TA

I was thinking about a convertible Fat Boy where I could just swap out the motor mount to fit a single 18, single 24, or any other motor combos. Would take some BT-80 and have a forward ring that is glued in and then slide in the motor mount of choice then have an aft ring that would lock motor mount in place. Maybe have small screws thread into aft ring to lock ring and MMT in place.

Would also have to come up with a way to adjust nose weight to compensate for which MMT is installed.

I think it might work and will try to pick up a few different motor mounts in different configurations, Sunward has quite a few that fit the BT-80, and get to building later this winter.

I have seen mounts with single 18, triple 18, I have a 5x18 Baby BerthaXL5 that flies at every launch, also seen single 24, dual 24, triple 24, and I have a 4x24 currently in the build pile.

Sunward has the mount kits and Balsa Machine has just about any ring you could imagine.

I love the clusters, just takes a bit more time to get igniters right. Haven't had a mis fire yet.

I took a Mini Fat Boy and upscaled it, turns out the Mini was lengthened just a bit as my upscale is a little longer than an original Fat Boy. But it will be a fun rocket with the 24mm mount. D's are going to make it scream.

Next to the Red Max, the Fat Boy is a favorite.

See ya,
Rod

I wish BMS did their custom rings again. I wanted to get a cluster ring cut, but I use LOC tubes and they are slightly thicker. So I no longer do business with BMS aside from maybe miscellaneous stuff...that about it.

I wish BMS did their custom rings again. I wanted to get a cluster ring cut, but I use LOC tubes and they are slightly thicker. So I no longer do business with BMS aside from maybe miscellaneous stuff...that about it.

Red Arrow does custom rings.

You don't need custom rings for LOC 2.56 airframe, it is the same ID as Estes BT-80 or within .001" anyways. LOC makes up the difference of wall thickness on the OD which leaves you with a slight lip when using Estes nose cones. Any aftermarket rings for BT-80 should fit LOC 2.56 airframe.

I was thinking about a convertible Fat Boy where I could just swap out the motor mount to fit a single 18, single 24, or any other motor combos. Would take some BT-80 and have a forward ring that is glued in and then slide in the motor mount of choice then have an aft ring that would lock motor mount in place. Maybe have small screws thread into aft ring to lock ring and MMT in place.

Would also have to come up with a way to adjust nose weight to compensate for which MMT is installed.

That's exactly what I did with mine. I made interchangable mounts and a BT-60 receiver tube so it can take 1, 2, or 3 X 18mm or a single 24mm. I used a standard engine hook to retain each mount. I epoxied a T-nut into the nose cone so I can add and subtract washers to maintain the correct CG. The mounts are common to a Big Bertha so it can share the same combinations. Good fun!

I was thinking about a convertible Fat Boy where I could just swap out the motor mount... (snip)

Here's what I came up with. A single 24, 3 X 24, and single 29. They fit inside a 54mm tube.

mount1.JPG

This wasn't for a Fat Boy, but could be easily adapted. Engine retention was with tape, and except for the 3x, there's no restriction on the top end, so and motor of that dia. could be used.

For my 7 X 18 I used the kit rings. I layed out the new pattern with a circle gauge, then cut out the pattern with a paper punch (like what you use to make holes for a binder). The paper punch was not my idea, but it's a great way to "nibble" out a round pattern. Folks have been using something similar for sheet metal for years (good way to build wrist strength/carpal tunnel problems/blisters).

Oooo a three 18mm cluster, crap now I gotsta build another one.

TA

I built my FatBoy as the 3x 18mm. It flies great! Good altitude. Be careful on windy days with the weathercocking. Also the weight when it lands. I added nose weight and with the three motors, it needs at 24" chute. I've had to reattach all the fins. I experimented with different methods of re-enforcing the fins after repairing them. I've use tissue paper & printer paper with white glue, printer paper with epoxy and a layer of 3oz glass. The glass is the only thing the held up.

It looks like a street fighter, all busted up and patched together, but it's still a great and fun flier! A C6-5 and a couple of C6-7s makes it scoot!

Back