Raven 2 vs. Raven 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference(s) is/are between the Raven 2 and Raven 3 altimeters? The only thing I can see is the Raven 3 says this: "400 Hz axial Accelerometer, +/- 70 Gs, 200 Hz lateral Accelerometer, +/- 35 Gs". And the Raven 2 says this: "400 Hz axial Accelerometer, +/- 250 Gs". I have no idea what this means nor which one is better or worse. I emailed them, but haven't received a response. I also noticed that the Raven 2 is available, but the Raven 3 says it's out of stock.

https://www.shop.featherweightaltimeters.com/product.sc?productId=7&categoryId=3

https://www.shop.featherweightaltimeters.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=3

They make 2 versions: one that has a 70 G limit in up and down with a 35 g side to side accelerometer
the other model only does 250 G max in up and down state.

JD

R3: Two of the 4 deployment channels now feature super-low resistance FETs that can handle over 20 Amps!

Kenny

Thanks for letting me know about the website; I'll fix it up.

The Raven3 replaced the Raven2. During the model change-over, only the Raven2 had the 250G range accelerometer, but now both ranges are available with the Raven3.

Look at you!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

One of these days I'm going to finish and fly Bluto. I decided to go with a Raven because of its built in redundancy. I'll be using a LiPo battery with it.

I will say that the featherweight altimeters are the only ones I've used that have withstood 300+ g's without using major modifications beforehand or major repairs afterwards. I have used the 250g units to record in excess of 325g's.

I will say that the featherweight altimeters are the only ones I've used that have withstood 300+ g's without using major modifications beforehand or major repairs afterwards. I have used the 250g units to record in excess of 325g's.

325 G's!?!??!!

I thought 220 was terrifying enough...

Mine also destroyed the launch pad but the flight was more or less nominal. Came back with one fin burnt off and the small section of blue tube I used for the fin can looked like fillet-o-fish. I guess that's why the official industry name of blue tube is called "fishpaper".

Adrian, Can you please give me the actual X-Y dimensions in numerical form on where to mount your Raven 3. I have several of them and machine my own Avbay sleds and would like this so I can program my CNC mill to exactly drill and tap my sled to mount this correctly. I have emailed you for this mounting dimension before back in early 2013 and you did not respond back with the dimensions. I know you have a manual that has two printed dots on where to mount, but have tried to measure this but am always off just enough to make the mounting difficult especially because I precisely tap my holes and do not use big open drill holes on my sled to mount these. So please give me the actual dimensions, you should be able to easily get them off you circuit Cad layout. Also most if not all the other altimeters I use do easily publish the mounting dimensions, for example my StratoLogger manual shows the mounting dimensions at 2.50 inches by 0.650 inches, not sure why this is so difficult to get for the raven and don’t know why you do not put the mounting dimensions in the raven manual to make it easy for your customers. I am in the market to purchase several more ravens but won’t purchase unless you can give me this mounting dimension. Please help!

Adrian, Can you please give me the actual X-Y dimensions in numerical form on where to mount your Raven 3. I have several of them and machine my own Avbay sleds and would like this so I can program my CNC mill to exactly drill and tap my sled to mount this correctly. I have emailed you for this mounting dimension before back in early 2013 and you did not respond back with the dimensions. I know you have a manual that has two printed dots on where to mount, but have tried to measure this but am always off just enough to make the mounting difficult especially because I precisely tap my holes and do not use big open drill holes on my sled to mount these. So please give me the actual dimensions, you should be able to easily get them off you circuit Cad layout. Also most if not all the other altimeters I use do easily publish the mounting dimensions, for example my StratoLogger manual shows the mounting dimensions at 2.50 inches by 0.650 inches, not sure why this is so difficult to get for the raven and don’t know why you do not put the mounting dimensions in the raven manual to make it easy for your customers. I am in the market to purchase several more ravens but won’t purchase unless you can give me this mounting dimension. Please help!

If you own a Raven why not just measure for yourself??

I think if you look at how the mounting holes are arranged on a Raven and then consider how circuit boards are cut, it makes those dimensions a little different for every piece, and probably why Adrian is reluctant to furnish that information.

That being said, if you own a CNC mill, presumably you are capable of either dimensioning a part in CAD or plotting the location of two holes on an existing part. If not, these are problems Adrian can't help you with.

Saying I wont buy your product unless you do "X" is not the best way to elicit a positive response from any vendor of anything. Adrian is one of the best vendors out there. Less attitudes like yours and perhaps he'll continue to make Ravens for a long time to come.

Scott w
TRA 7726

Boy, everyone has a smart answer even though I wasn’t asking them, my forum reply was addressed to Adrian. I have tried to contact Adrian via his company listed email before to ask for this but did not get much response. I do think I have the right to ask for this simple mounting dimension, I have purchased several of these Ravens and spent considerable amount of money for this and also looking at purchasing several more Ravens. This should be something he can get off his circuit cad drawings in a few minutes that other altimeter manufacturers supply in there manuals as standard with no drama. This should be part of his customer support and if I feel I am not getting this after spending considerable amounts of money on a vendors product I do have every right to alert the vendor that this is a sticking point for me to spend more of my money with them, yes I am frustrated being this is something that should be very simple for him to respond to that he has hasn’t. Yes I did email Adrian very nicely back in early 2013 asking for this and did not get it so this is why I am asking him on the forum hoping that maybe this will get a needed response.

Scott W. my friend not sure why you put your two cents in, and why you want pick a fight. You were not the one I was asking this to, you know nothing about circuit board manufacturing as if you did you would know the holes he has for mounting in the artwork do not change from batch to batch (unless he changes them on his cad artwork) as you suggested as why he won’t publish these simple dimensions, this is like saying the holes and or pads on the artwork for a surface mount component will suddenly be different the next board run, you can see how this makes no sense as the same components he has design in would not fit on different runs of circuit boards for each run. The board cut size has nothing to do with the hole to hole dimensions I requested. Also you know little about machining with CNC mills, they do not measure, I need to input the dimensions into the mill to tell it where to drill and tap which is precisely what I need from Adrian. When drilling and tapping for a 2-56 hole if off just a few thousands which is very hard to measure even with even digital calipers (I have tried) it will make a difference on how easy the 2-56 threaded screw fits. Yes if I had access to his circuit board cad I could get these numbers in a few seconds, but I don’t. This has nothing to do with attitude, if he will not support his products with me I have every right to let him know that I probably will not be purchasing them in the future.

I believe I responded both times, the last time with the drill file used to make the boards.

The two mounting holes in the Raven are at 0.76,0.696 and 1.356,0.089, all inches, from the lower left corner of the board when the terminal block is on the underside of the board, on the right. No round numbers were harmed in the making of this altimeter. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe I responded both times, the last time with the drill file used to make the boards.

The two mounting holes in the Raven are at 0.76,0.696 and 1.356,0.089, all inches, from the lower left corner of the board when the terminal block is on the underside of the board, on the right. No round numbers were harmed in the making of this altimeter. :rolleyes:

Well that answered a question I had planned on asking. Thanks. Could you please provide the cordinates for the Magnetic switch, the screw switch and the Power pearch? I have been trying to use the digital comparator at work for this but the QA Tech frowns on a Maintenance Mech using it. Oh well wait until her AC quits. ;-)

THANK YOU ADRIAN!, this will make my life a little easier. Not sure what happened previously but did not find or get this info before. I then moved on to other projects but this one is hot on the burner again. I would suggest listing this in your manual.

Also tried to go to your website this week and order some more Raven 3, 250G but "says out of stock" do you know when they will be available again or any distributors who may have some?

I am attaching a drawing for mounting the Raven 3 based on Adrian dimensions to make this a little less cryptic for Raven customers. Adrian feel free to include this drawing in your manual if you wish. Also note I beleive one of the the dimensions the 0.76 you listed was a typo?, I think should be 0.076 just wanted to point this out so peolple don't get confused. Thanks again, love your products.

RAVEN3_MOUNTING.jpg

Attachments

• RAVEN3_MOUNTING.jpg
    RAVEN3_MOUNTING.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Thanks, John. That's very helpful, especially catching that missing zero, and for pointing out the mistake in the website that shows the 250G altimeter as out of stock. I actually have a decent supply of both ranges of the Raven ready to go.

Last edited:
Well that answered a question I had planned on asking. Thanks. Could you please provide the cordinates for the Magnetic switch, the screw switch and the Power pearch? I have been trying to use the digital comparator at work for this but the QA Tech frowns on a Maintenance Mech using it. Oh well wait until her AC quits. ;-)

Screw Switch:
.327,.107 (screw)

Power Perch, with Raven at top:
0.105,0.555 (mounting hole connnected to +Arm)
1.3,0.095 (mounting hole connected to +ground)

Mag switch:
+In: .15, .602
Out: .122,.14
Gnd: .421,.136

Why would you use the lower G model over the higher G model. I want to order one but don't want to choose the wrong version. It would be helpful (to some) if the difference was explained on the website.

Thanks,

Richard

Why would you use the lower G model over the higher G model. I want to order one but don't want to choose the wrong version. It would be helpful (to some) if the difference was explained on the website.

Thanks,

Richard
If you're planning to fly above the limits of the lowerG model, get the higherG model. You'll lose some detail on softer flights, but you won't peg the curve on buttkickers.

Back