what is the diffence on the sim programes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello what is different with rock sim vs open rocket ? Now I will keep OR because if I a question there is a lot of people that use it and also the guys that built it .it just something I was foundering thanks chris

Rock Sim as more options , ( just look at the parachute as exemple) but it's not free, it's like Microsoft Office vs OpenOffice.

Ya great and all , but didn't like the set up think.
OR is for me .

Price I don't care about , it's $100 or something . I just don't like how it's set up . Easy to scale up on OR.

Not sure what you mean about the set up. OR is an open source near copy of Rocksim with maybe a prettier interface, but they are nearly identical to use.

It is just as easy to upscale in RS.

I like RS better because I can model tip fins and tube fins. RS seems to be more accurate in terms of altitude with different fin edges. RS has been around quite a lot longer and is a finished commercial product with tons of support. Apogee has dozens upon dozens of documents on their website on how to do just about anything you want! With OR you have to ask the community and hope something is possible. Though OR can also open RS .rkt files, they don't always work right.

I will give OR an A+ fr presentation. It's purdy!

Jerome

There's a feature comparison on the OpenRocket wiki: https://wiki.openrocket.info/Feature_comparison

The most important limitations of OpenRocket are support for tube fins, ring tail fins and external pods.

I've tried to keep the comparison objective, if you have any comments, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Thanks sampo I like OR. Would love to do tube fins and ring fins thanks chris

Back