Anybody else read "Wool"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kindle has the graphic novel edition of wool for 2 bucks right now!

I've read a lot of the Wool fan fiction. Some pretty good, some not so much. I wish Hugh Howey would write another omnibus. I have so many questions that haven't been answered. Who dropped the nukes? Were other cities in America and the world nuked? What about all the people that survived up top? I read at least one story about the "Rangers" that were supposed to be helping silos disconnect from Silo 1. But it was sorely lacking in depth and detail. I'm craving more good Wool!

I've read a lot of the Wool fan fiction. Some pretty good, some not so much. I wish Hugh Howey would write another omnibus. I have so many questions that haven't been answered. Who dropped the nukes? Were other cities in America and the world nuked? What about all the people that survived up top? I read at least one story about the "Rangers" that were supposed to be helping silos disconnect from Silo 1. But it was sorely lacking in depth and detail. I'm craving more good Wool!

Have you read the prequel to Wool from Howey named "Shift"?

Yes, I've read all three of the Howey Wool books. Read them all twice, in fact.

I've read all three of the "Silo" series plus Sand, Halfway Home, and Hurricane. He is definitely a good writer. I especially liked Halfway Home, but not as much as the Silo books.

NikeMikey

I just read some WOOL fan fiction that I recommend. Silo 7 and Failsafe by Daniel Gage. They're a little raw and edgy in places, but good reads. Be sure to read Silo 7 first. Failsafe answers some questions. That's all I'll say about that. I also enjoyed the Silo 49 series by Ann Christy.

Thanks for the recommendation Captain. I sometimes listened to audiobooks while working when the tasks are particularly mundane, plus the dyslexia makes reading long works a frustrating pass time. This series was quite entertaining. In spite of the narrator of the audiobook being absolutely brutal, ridiculous voices and badly mispronounced words. It took a few weeks, but that was 17 hours of boring, but had to be done, work that went by much more painlessly than usual.

The best I've listened to recently was "The Martian", just phenomenal.

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. Here are some recommendations from the last few months.

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos
Lines of Departure by Marko Kloos
NPCs by Drew Hayes
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton
The Abyss Beyond Dreams: Chronicle of the Fallers, Book 1 by Peter F. Hamilton
Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds
Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez

I just noticed that my Audible account has 218 titles purchased since August 2011. :y:

I read that one, too. It's a little dark, but still pretty good.

I read "Sand" recently (also by Hugh Howey) - it's good, I hope he decides to make it into a series.

Here are my recommendations from the last few months:

Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey - Book 5 of The Expanse series. 5/5
Armada by Ernest Cline - 4/5
The Fold by Peter Clines - 3/5
14 by Peter Clines - 3/5 - I really liked the first 3/4 of both of these books, but they have very similar endings that I didn't care for.
The End of All Things: Old Man's War Book 6 by John Scalzi - 4/5 - I've really enjoyed every one of his books that I've read.
The Atopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather - 3/5
The Dystopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather - 2/5 - This one just dragged on. I couldn't wait to finish it.
Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells - 4/5 - I couldn't wait to hear what happened next in this one. It left me wanting more.

I just started Red Rising by Pierce Brown. So far I like it.

In the past few years, I've read the Glen Cook series "The Black Company" and the "Malazan Books of the The Fallen" by Erickson and Esslemont including all the side volumes and the new prequel series. I figure that between those two that's about 30 books and 25,000+ pages. Don't consider the time wasted at all as these two efforts are among the best I've ever read.

Needless to say, I'm now reading single volume works...at least for a while.

Oh, yes. I forgot the Destroyermen series so add on another 10-12 volumes.

I tried reading Wool but couldn't get past the 2nd part. Guess just too slow for my liking. On the other hand, I couldn't put down The Martian!

A little late to chime in, but I really liked all of the Marko Kloos series that starts with Terms of Enlistment.
Ditto on Ready Player One and Armada by Ernest Cline.

Back