Anybody else read "Wool"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I haven't read a novel in years. Literally years. I was searching for a science fiction short story I read as a kid (which I didn't find, by the way), and ran across something called "Wool" on Amazon, by Hugh Howey. It was free. I like free. So I downloaded it and read it on my tablet. I was instantly hooked. Of course, when I got to the end, I realized that the free part was just the first section. So I promptly bought the whole book ($5.99) and read the rest of it. Then I bought and read the second book in the series, called "Shift". Now I'm reading the third and final book, called "Dust". I can't figure out exactly what it is that has me so enthralled. But I am totally engrossed in these books. I got my son hooked too.

Anybody else read these?

books.jpg

No, but I am always looking for good novels. I find that reading novels for 20 to 30 minutes before going to sleep helps shift your mind out of the normal daily mental routine and aids relaxation. Can you provide some of the storyline/theme?

That's OK, I took a look on Wikipedia and Amazon; purchased the series.

Last edited:
I hope you like them as much as I do. Maybe you can shed some light on why I like them so much.

Absolutely loved it.
I haven’t yet read any of the follow on novels.

I obtained “Wool” through inter-library loan and after reading it I have decided to go ahead and purchase all three novel sets next time I have a big Amazon order put together.

I just finished the third and final book in the WOOL saga. I loved the entire series! It left me wanting more!

Finished the final one, "Dust", a couple of days ago. Incredibly entertaining! 5 stars. Sad that I have no more in the queue.

A colleague told me about this series. I might take a read.

It reminds me, for years now I've been trying to remember a series of books I read in school (12 years old) I think it was a trilogy, or maybe there were 5, but it was in a post-invasion Earth, where small bands of rebels survive, but try to fight with primitive weapons. The aliens had enslaved much of humanity and had them working in mines etc.

Damn, I wish I could remember.

It reminds me, for years now I've been trying to remember a series of books I read in school (12 years old) I think it was a trilogy, or maybe there were 5, but it was in a post-invasion Earth, where small bands of rebels survive, but try to fight with primitive weapons. The aliens had enslaved much of humanity and had them working in mines etc.

I wish you could remember, too. That sounds interesting.

These series have inspired certain leadership characteristics that I admire in a Sci Fi format. A couple other stories that exemplify leadership include Legend of Zero and Terms of Enlistment. These books are fantastic!

I haven't read Dust yet. I really enjoyed Wool and parts of Shift weren't as great. However, I am still looking forward to that read. If it had come out before the new school year had started I would have read it already... At this point it will probably wait until fall break and will be something to read while out camping.

No, but I am always looking for good novels. I find that reading novels for 20 to 30 minutes before going to sleep helps shift your mind out of the normal daily mental routine and aids relaxation. Can you provide some of the storyline/theme?

That's OK, I took a look on Wikipedia and Amazon; purchased the series.

Whenever I read a book before I go to sleep I end up not sleeping at all and finishing the whole book that night. Then the next day is horrible since I didnt sleep the previous night because I was too busy reading a book :facepalm:

Whenever I read a book before I go to sleep I end up not sleeping at all and finishing the whole book that night. Then the next day is horrible since I didnt sleep the previous night because I was too busy reading a book :facepalm:

Yeah... that was me last night. I saw an add for soon to be released hardcover and just couldn't wait anymore. Who needs sleep? The book has been read and it was well done! I certainly enjoyed the last of the series. For the most part, I feel good about how it ended, and I don't know that there is any need for another book in the series.

I have been interested in reading a lot of the fan fiction. The ones written from Helen's point of view or from 40 have me intrigued. I just don't like paying for fan fiction...

Could you be referring to John Christopher’s “Tripod Trilogy”?

Yeah... that was me last night. I saw an add for soon to be released hardcover and just couldn't wait anymore. Who needs sleep? The book has been read and it was well done! I certainly enjoyed the last of the series. For the most part, I feel good about how it ended, and I don't know that there is any need for another book in the series.

I have been interested in reading a lot of the fan fiction. The ones written from Helen's point of view or from 40 have me intrigued. I just don't like paying for fan fiction...

I agree, some of the fan fiction looks interesting. But like you, I'm reluctant to pay for it.

I have arrived late at the party and only this evening purchased the Wool Omnibus (1-5).

I'm a sucker for anything described as "probably will become a classic."

I have arrived late at the party and only this evening purchased the Wool Omnibus (1-5).

I think you'll like it. I was enthralled.

The thing I like most about the Wool books is that the author is very good about teasing out just enough details to keep the sense of mystery that makes you say "OK, just one more chapter and then I'm REALLY going to bed..." only to discover that it's now 4:00AM. He's taken the familiar post-apocalyptic SF genre and done something new and wonderful with it.

The second fascinating thing is that Howey shows that while the world of independent publishing is overflowing with sewage, there are authors out there who can blow past the formulaic and often tedious dreck that passes for storytelling you often find on the bookstore shelves.

My solution for reading until the sun rises is that I no longer read at night.

The second thing I do is limit the number of chapters I will read in any given day.

As a retired person, I strive to fill my days with progress and accomplishment while keeping my nights for sleep.

I've been thinking lately about reading the series again. I loved it.

I read the whole series. It was a great read.

Another book I wholeheartedly recommend is "The Martian". Check it out.

I enjoyed the whole series. I felt that it wrapped up too neatly and quickly for my tastes, but good nonetheless.
-Ken

Back