Solar Flare performance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
There's a Cub Scout launch a month from now, and I'd like to have a two-stager for demo flying. It's a pretty tight field.

I have an Estes Solar Flare that is nearing completion. According to RockSim, the performance is quite modest on a B6 booster, so I'm thinking it might work for that situation. What do those of you who have direct experience with the Solar Flare think?

If you have zero wind and use an Estes B6-0 and use a 4 foot long steel launch rod that is pointed straight up, then use the Estes B6-0 booster.

If not, then use the Estes C6-0 booster.

There's a Cub Scout launch a month from now, and I'd like to have a two-stager for demo flying. It's a pretty tight field.

I have an Estes Solar Flare that is nearing completion. According to RockSim, the performance is quite modest on a B6 booster, so I'm thinking it might work for that situation. What do those of you who have direct experience with the Solar Flare think?

There is some question as to whether the “Solar Flare” is stable as built. It has been mentioned that later runs of this kit come with a ounce or so of clay to install in the nosecone.

I know when I first flew mine using a B6-0 booster it barely got off the rod and wobbled around in the sky more than I liked.

I'm aware of the stability issues--I weighted the nose with the clay supplied with the kit and another ounce or so I had lying about.

My flare is a bit underpowered on aB6 , and maybe even a bit unstable
That said it had potential to fly week if built light and weight added
Otherwise, in a small field like mine you run a serious risk of losing it due to the upper stage firing while the rocket is horizontal
I have no experience with the C6 booster though

I built mine just about exactly stock, other than for a standoff for the launch lug. See build thread with launch pictures here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...e-build-mini-thread-Something-to-keep-me-sane

It is my feeling that John Boren, the designer, took very careful pains to design this bird to be properly balanced, and it has flown perfectly stably for me the two times I've launched it, on B6-0 to (I think) 1/2 A3-4T on my medium size field. It might have been a full A3-4T the second flight. John honored me by posting my staging picture on the Estes website.

I would worry a bit about using a C6-0 booster, as it would add further weight aft, without any noteworthy increase in the initial thrust (according to Estes charts, C6 has a peak thrust spike at 15 N, B6 is around 12N). The extra second of ~4-5 N the C6 delivers might not build up speed. I'd rather blast a B6 and have it kick off quickly and free the sustainer to fly! But if Fred thinks it's worth a try, give it a shot.

I also built a downscale, and it took several tries to balance it for stability, and by the time I got enough nose weight, it was a bit too heavy for an A10-0T in more than 1-2 miles per hour of wind. I haven't flown my 24 mm powered upscale yet.

So, I recommend building the kit as described in the instructions, being very careful not to overbuild, and definitely pay attention to the washer placement in the booster.
Marc

I've built and flown the Solar Flare as stock. Most flights have been stable...but I have had two that did a bit of a 'cruise missile'. Both were on B6-0 / 1/2A3-4T combos. I suspect that additional 3N the C6-0 gives you is enough to give it that extra velocity off the rod. All the other flights were nice and straight.

FC

Back