Model train stuff worth anything?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I know nothing about model trains. My sister-in-law just cleared out a storage unit, and asked to store 3 big boxes in my garage. Her father passed away in 1981, and these boxes contain some of her father's old model train stuff. I want to sell all of this stuff before she finds out.

Just joking!

She said she is ready to part with all of it, but is not sure what any of it is worth, if anything. If there are any model train buffs on the forum who can advise me on how to start evaluating this stuff, that would be great.

Much depends on what it is.

What scale?

Buildings, rolling stock, locomotives, figurines, trackage?

Is it assembled or still in boxes?

does it work?

Cheap christmas + a few hours or quality, long lasing stuff?

More information is needed.

It makes complete sense that it all depends on what it is.

I'll try to get info on scale, but at first glance it looks like there are items of two different scales. Some of the trains look like they run on a track that is separated by just over an inch between rails, and judging from the locomotive, it must have a "third rail" down the center, because there is an electrical contact of some kind hanging down in the middle under the locomotive. Others are smaller and look like they run on a track that is separated by about half an inch between rails. Both sizes have both locomotives and rolling stock.

There are some buildings that look kind of cheap to me that are out of boxes. There are also some items in boxes labeled Atlas N Gauge that look like they contain parts for portals and fences.

I see several boxes labeled Atlas HO Snap Switch, and a bunch of the smaller trackage. there are miscellaneous electronic parts.

It's impossible for me to evaluate the quality or usability of any of thi stuff. What do you suppose would be the best way to have it evaluated?

Find a local model railroad club and ask them to help you value the lot. They may also be interested in purchasing some/all of it.

Go to this page and scroll down a bit. You'll find a table labeled "Track Gauges by Scale". You can use that, along with a ruler on the wheels on the engines/cars, to figure out what gauge they are.

-Kevin

takes some pics, it will take me few seconds to know what it worth

Sounds like Marklin HO scale and N scale.
Good condition Marklin stuff should be worth money if you can find a person who wants it....(as in all things collectable...you need the right buyer.)
The smaller N-scale can be spendy items too....

If you have a number of pieces in good condition, they could be worth some money -- worth some more legwork for sure....

If the engines have a 3rd rail contact on them they are probably Lionel "O" gauge. Depending on what set(s) and their age they could be worth more than other train sets. The track for O-scale is usually about 2" wide. N-scale and HO scale don't have a lot of resale value unless they are some of the more high quality engines - not from starter sets. But even then it's usually a case of what they are and when they were manufactured and by whom. As stated before try to find a local model train club or hit the train forums with pictures and I'm sure you will get all kinds of info on what you have.

I have a friend that is an avid model railroad collector. He has over $2M (yes, that is million) of various types and vintages. He has them stored in a specially made, high security, climate-controlled metal building on his farmland (disguised as a barn of course). Inside he has a full-scale, computer-inventoried shelving system floor-to-ceiling cataloging every piece. His answer would be that, no matter what it is, if it's not in original sealed packaging it isn't worth a thing.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll check with the SIL and see how involved she wants me to get in this project. It sounds like at a minimum we should get some pictures to post, and it would be good to look for a local club.

I have a friend that is an avid model railroad collector. He has over $2M (yes, that is million) of various types and vintages. He has them stored in a specially made, high security, climate-controlled metal building on his farmland (disguised as a barn of course). Inside he has a full-scale, computer-inventoried shelving system floor-to-ceiling cataloging every piece. His answer would be that, no matter what it is, if it's not in original sealed packaging it isn't worth a thing.

I can see us taking this stuff to the Antiques Roadshow.

"Do you have any idea of what your father's train collection is worth?"

"No, no idea at all."

"Well, in its original sealed packaging, this collection would probably bring around two million dollars at auction."

"OH MY GOD! We're rich!"

"Unfortunately, in these dusty cardboard boxes, it is only worth around ten dollars at a garage sale..."

Dude!...Really?

-Scott "STFU Mafia" Broderick

BTW, even if "worthless" in the hands of the right person, it may be priceless.

After I graduated from college, I grabbed the old train set from my grandparents house -- it belonged to my dad, and his two brothers, and was in need of some work. Without significant effort, I got the vast majority of it up and working. The one problem was the "whistle" from the diesel locomotive -- it didn't work. Eventually, I found a store here in town that sold the part I was pretty sure was defective, so I bought it. A whopping $15 I spent.

I took it over to my parent's house, got out the set, put it together and got things running. I then hit the button for the "whistle". My mom, my wife and I all thought it was pretty anemic, and no big deal. My dad lit up like a 5 year old at Christmas -- it sounded exactly like he remembered.

So, in a heartbeat, in my mind it went from "not worth much" to Priceless, because it made my dad's day and brought back fond childhoood memories for him.

-Kevin

BTW, even if "worthless" in the hands of the right person, it may be priceless.

After I graduated from college, I grabbed the old train set from my grandparents house -- it belonged to my dad, and his two brothers, and was in need of some work. Without significant effort, I got the vast majority of it up and working. The one problem was the "whistle" from the diesel locomotive -- it didn't work. Eventually, I found a store here in town that sold the part I was pretty sure was defective, so I bought it. A whopping $15 I spent.

I took it over to my parent's house, got out the set, put it together and got things running. I then hit the button for the "whistle". My mom, my wife and I all thought it was pretty anemic, and no big deal. My dad lit up like a 5 year old at Christmas -- it sounded exactly like he remembered.

So, in a heartbeat, in my mind it went from "not worth much" to Priceless, because it made my dad's day and brought back fond childhoood memories for him.

-Kevin

I completely agree. I would rather see things go to someone who will use and enjoy them than have them either go to waste or try to wring the last cent of monetary value out of them. If the trains belonged to me, I'd be inclined to either give it all to some club or put it up for sale on a "make an offer" basis.

Of course, this stuff does not belong to me, so my SIL will have to decide what to do with it all. And if they do have some cash value, she'll probably want to sell them.

EDIT: on a related note, it seems to me that a box of dusty second-hand triain stuff that gets set up and used by a person who enjoys it and has fun with it actually has more value than $2 million worth of computer-inventoried, sealed, in-box train stuff in a high security barn somewhere. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
When it comes to N-Scale and it’s old but not “Classic” or brass, then it probably isn’t worth the ad costs.

Older (Pre-DCC) locomotives have a resale price around a third or less of the original MSRP. $100 locomotive might go for $30 if you are lucky. Sad but true.
Older rolling stock can’t be given away especially if they don’t have Micro-Trains couplers/trucks.
The above is for the "Real World". E-Bay has its own set of laws with reguards to prices.

No offense to anyone, but if he can get 10 cents on the dollar he would be doing good. A year or so ago I saw a $75K professional layout go for slightly more than the cost of shipping.

Prices for the old Lionel stuff peaked in the mid 80's and it's been down hill ever since, if you can find someone who even want's it. My old roommate after college has well over 50 engines and 500 cars in O-gauge, several vintage G-gauge engines and cars, and some HO gauge stuff, plus a 6 circuit 20'x30' O-gauge layout in his basement and a slightly smaller 6 loop o-gauge layout in his barn. He really like his trains but isn't buying any old stuff, or even taking it if it's free unless it's something exceptional.

Over the last 25 years there has been a massive die-off of old school collectors. The younger enthusiasts want modern engines that run smoothly and realistically via radio control. Mike's Train House and others made old Lionel stuff obsolete. Most of the old stuff isn't very rare and there's a lot of it around. There's the occasional unused in the original box finds, or a rare special edition, that a true collector might buy, but 99.99% of the old stuff in folks collections is worth a few cents on the dollar.

Bob

No offense to anyone, but if he can get 10 cents on the dollar he would be doing good. A year or so ago I saw a $75K professional layout go for slightly more than the cost of shipping.

Prices for the old Lionel stuff peaked in the mid 80's and it's been down hill ever since, if you can find someone who even want's it. My old roommate after college has well over 50 engines and 500 cars in O-gauge, several vintage G-gauge engines and cars, and some HO gauge stuff, plus a 6 circuit 20'x30' O-gauge layout in his basement and a slightly smaller 6 loop o-gauge layout in his barn. He really like his trains but isn't buying any old stuff, or even taking it if it's free unless it's something exceptional.

Over the last 25 years there has been a massive die-off of old school collectors. The younger enthusiasts want modern engines that run smoothly and realistically via radio control. Mike's Train House and others made old Lionel stuff obsolete. Most of the old stuff isn't very rare and there's a lot of it around. There's the occasional unused in the original box finds, or a rare special edition, that a true collector might buy, but 99.99% of the old stuff in folks collections is worth a few cents on the dollar.

Bob

Don't know... he does most of his trading online in private auctions with people in Europe and Asia.

Oh, and in comparison... 550 pieces your old roommate has... I'd say this guy has 50,000, heck, maybe more. They are stacked to the ceiling on shelves spaced about 8" to 12" vertically in rows about 3' or 4' wide in a 30'x60' building.

Last edited:

Bob

I don't know about the guy with the pristine items in the security-barn, but this is more likely the case for the stuff now sitting in my garage. I doubt it is worth much.

I actually tend to think collectibles are a very strange and vulnerable artificial market. And I would personally never invest much in something based on the idea that it is collectible and will increase or hold its value. (Except for Beanie Babies, of course. I have my entire 401k in Beanie Babies, and I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on a FORTUNE!)

Sigh. I used to assume I would resume railroading as an adult (gave it up when I was 13, I'm 46 now). I still have some of my original rolling stock and transformers, some of which was my Dad's (HO gauge). But between kids, rocketry, and computer interests, and lack of time, it ain't happening. I'm sad, but not willing to change any of the other items in my life to accommodate railroading, and I'm probably not alone. No wonder the stuff goes for almost nothing these days.

I have some HO that will be run along the ceiling in the man cave if it ever comes to pass. For me it was just something cool that my Grampa, uncle and my brother enjoyed. Being the youngest brother I always wanted to be involved, but it was never a passion for me.

I belong to the Model Train Forum and people interested in selling stuff are allowed to post there. I have found them to be very helpful and honest about what stuff is worth. Since you are relying on their assistance the courteous thing to do is offer items up for sale to the forum members first before going to ebay or other online sites. The locomotives are likely the most valuable. Then the rolling stock. Old track is generally worthless since advances in detailing and in metallurgy has made the new stuff so much better that no one wants the old stuff. The same with transformers; they are probably worth more as scrap metal. Then again, you MAY have that one thing that some one has been looking for. Post photos as that will allow people to assess what you have.

The revolution in model trains has been the conversion to digital control. I have a digital controller that can run 5 locomotives at once. The track is fully powered at all times and the chip inside each locomotive tells it what to do, go forward, backup or sit still independant of the other locomotives. I have linked three locomotives together (2 forward, one in reverse) and have them pull a line of 25 cars. You can also control your turnouts (switches) from the wireless controller. Fortunately, most controllers have an emergency shutdown switch that cuts power to the track instantly. I have used this more than once as it can get overwhelming if you have three or four trains running and you are switching stuff to sidings or back to the main tracks. Collision situations are not uncommon.

Don't know what the used stuff is worth, but go to buy NEW stuff and they'll clean you out...

Later! OL JR :)

Hobby Lobby used to carry lots of HO and N Scale stock and locos....don't see them anymore. Should tell you something. Sad, but true.

THAT guy sounds like a lot of fun...

...Not!

If I had anything remotely resembling money I'd offer to buy it all. :sigh:

Back