My first Micro Maxx launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46u

Reaction score
Launched my Quest NO MERCY 3 times. The motor locking system is not good and broke so I used tape, which did better then the stock locking system. First two times the fins came off and second time it broke the tape work well. I all so launched the saucer but it does not go very high at all.

When I was done I was ready for a real rocket so I stared on one of my 3 leading edge rocketry rocket kits I have. The one I am building first is the Micro Patriot, which should be done tomorrow other then being done with the paint do to prep and drying time. Hope to launch it with my oldest grandson this weekend if I can wait that long. I wish I had bought more engines as I only ordered 1 extra pack so I only had 12 and used 4 today.
Jeff

This is where I am at on the Micro Patriot. Not the best picture but it is late and I am too tired to take it over. LOL

DSCF7883.jpg

You are correct about the Twist locks on the fin cans and motor retainers for ALL the LPB early Quest RTF models. We've found and reported often taping the fin can with 1/4" masking tape generally keeps everything together during flight.

There are a number of much lighter Saucers available for Free download the get about twice the altitude of the heavy LPB saucer Art Applewhite has a 3" cardstock construction, we have a Tri-FO and Fliskits offer two or three different cardstock saucers just for fun.

I'm sure you'll be fairly happy with the flight altitudes of your Kit models. Depending on the finished mass of the model 260feet plus is very possible.

Yes I found tape worked fine. I would think the locking system on the Saturn V and space shuttle will work better but I have not launched them yet. I want to modify my two Saturn V with some clear bigger fins to make it more stable as someone showed me.

These are not my main rockets my low and mid power are. I got these mostly so I can launch them in my yard and use them to teach my 6 grandchildren the proper and safe way to launch rockets. Right now only my oldest grandson is of age who is 8 all my others a total of 6 are 3 or under. I have two sets of twin grandchildren yes I am bragging. LOL

Main reason I got back in to rockets is my 8 year old grandson but I have been launching rockets off and on since 1968. Here is my oldest grandsons first rocket.
Thanks
Jeff

Wil with his G Force.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I found tape worked fine. I would think the locking system on the Saturn V and space shuttle will work better but I have not launched them yet. I want to modify my two Saturn V with some clear bigger fins to make it more stable as someone showed me.

These are not my main rockets my low and mid power are. I got these mostly so I can launch them in my yard and use them to teach my 6 grandchildren the proper and safe way to launch rockets. Right now only my oldest grandson is of age who is 8 all my others a total of 6 are 3 or under. I have two sets of twin grandchildren yes I am bragging. LOL

Main reason I got back in to rockets is my 8 year old grandson but I have been launching rockets off and on since 1968. Here is my oldest grandsons first rocket.
Thanks
Jeff

May have been me since I first added clear package material to my MMX LPB Saturn-V shortly after they were introduced in 1999.

10-4 on the Grandkids Jeff: Have 8 myself LOL! Jacob & Lydia went to their first model rocket launch a few months ago. but we've been flying Puff, Stomp, Hydrogen and Micro rockets for a couple years now (since Jake was 2).

I also have been building and flying since the mid 60's. Went from standard to Upscale clustering everything mid-power, now I've switched to almost entirely Micros... Why folks ask. The answer All the fun without the need for a HUGE launch site or all the recovery walking. As I've said many times 300ft, 3,000ft or 30,000ft Out of sight is OUT OF SIGHT. Not to mention the HUGE reduction on cost per flight and number of models that can be transported to the field LOL!!!
If your looking for a challenge try doing a 6 motor Micro cluster. They are Truly at TRIP! Not to mention multi-Staging, Odd-Roc's, Gliders, Flex-wings, PMC, Scale and more.
You really should take a look a All these different things over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group or in the Galleries forum here. I believe Micros are listed under Themed Rockets.

MM 370_Cosmic Cluster (6 motor)_11-14-10.JPG

MM 337Lp01a2_6x MMX Cluster Valkyrie almost apogee_09-22-07.jpg

MM 337h2-sm_XB-70 6 motorcluster Wired for 1st flt_09-18-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01c_XB-70 Clear Rod LIFTOFF 6X clu_09-22-07.jpg

Last edited:
John it might be where William got the idea but I got it from him. He is from the town I live in and got to know him do to this forum.

What I like about the Micro rockets is it takes a very small area to launch them. My oldest grandson and I are going to a launch nest mouth and will be take all three micro, low power and mid power.

Talking about room to transport all I have is a motorcycle with a sidecar on it but you might be surprised at what all can be put in and on it. Been riding none stop for 44 years and at least 20 years of it I did not have a car or truck. Do to my situation had to sell the car but I do not need one. Here is my grandson and I on my rig (motorcycle with sidecar).
Thanks
Jeff

530448_582904795058247_243045967_n.jpg

OH Man!
The Side Car is just Made for Micro stuff LOL! Wow! I though I was pressed for Space Good Luck with the away Launch I'm sure you guys will have a great time.

OH Man!
The Side Car is just Made for Micro stuff LOL! Wow! I though I was pressed for Space Good Luck with the away Launch I'm sure you guys will have a great time.

The launch is only 65 miles away at what is called the high power field. I have ridden my motorcycle as far as Alaska before the sidecar so this will just be a nice short ride. LOL I have a luggage rack on both the bike and sidecar.
Thanks
Jeff

Back