Pictoral build thread--Wildman Darkstar Extreme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark!

All I can say is "WOW" that's one smoken DarkStar.
Best DarkStar I've seen yet, and that's a lot of them!

Coming from the guy who designed it, that's a mighty high compliment!

Mark Hayes at Stickershock23 is really due the credit...the paint scheme/decals came from a drawing he did a few weeks ago (posted above). He does amazing work--highly recommended for any rocketry project.

While I flew this rocket last October on the intended L900DM, it was missing something...couldn't quite figure out what. So, for the Tripoli Vegas Springfest, I just ordered an M1297W. Now THAT should fill the missing piece...my last certification!

I was lucky enough to see the flight on the L900DM and told you then to stick a M in it and get your L3.
Now I am really looking forward to this flight !!!!

Gonna be a pleasure to be a T.A.P. on this one!

Follow-up.

I've flown this rocket four times and have learned a lot along the way. Here is the rundown for those interested.

Flight #1 was the L900DM, and that motor was iffy at best--not recommended. I believe that Ti slag deposition on the nozzle causes 'vectored' thrust early in the flight. I've seen several Dark Matter flights exhibit the same unstable behavior. Not long after leaving the rail, the rocket left a vertical orientation (maybe 65 degrees 'up'), and experienced a high-speed apogee event. A small part of the lower body was crushed by the kevlar recovery harness, which was small enough to ignore. Also, the nosecone failed to stay on after apogee despite three 2-56 nylon shear pins.

Flight #2 was an M1297 a year ago. Rocket went to 13.2k and over Mach 1. The nosecone again came off at apogee, and the main was not connected when fired out. My fault and I did not certify. I put together the rocket with a checklist the first time. At the launch site, more than a few well meaning people offered their 'advice' before the flight, which planted seeds of doubt in my mind. All told, I took the rocket back apart several time to 'check' things, leading me to miss reconnecting the main and nosecone.

I drilled out the 3 upper airframe to nosecone shear pin holes to 4-40, and added two static pressure ports in the upper airframe.

Flight #3 was a month ago on the AT L1390G. Rocket went to 11.1k and Mach 0.91. Nosecone stayed on until main charges went off! Nominal flight.

Flight #4 was two days ago on an AT M1780NT. Rocket went to 14.1k, pulled 24.7Gs and Mach 1.2! Nominal flight and L3 cert, finally! Picture below.

DSC04151.jpg

Raven File
View attachment JihadThis 20Mar15 M1780NT L3.FIPa
RRC3 File
View attachment JihadThis 21Mar15 M1780 L3.rff

Lessons learned:
1. The higher and faster you go, the more static pressure ports matter
2. Even a 4" rocket can benefit from 4-40 nylon shear pins
3. Stay away from AT Dark Matter with heavier rockets; stick to Metalstorm or another OEM's sparkies
4. Ignore good advice just before an L3 attempt from anyone but your TAP; stick to your checklist!
5. Tell yourself the L3 cert flight is 'just another flight'. It worked.

Last edited:
Just finished the video!
[video=youtube;J0lRyTT-GxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0lRyTT-GxQ[/video]

Alex

Congrads Mark, awesome looking rocket and a great build. Im trying for my 2nd L3 attempt at LDRS with my Ultimate Darkstar rebuild so I can relate to what goes thru one's head when something goes wrong. I hope mine turns out like yours.

Great Mach diamonds in the lift-off photo. Congrats Mark.

Bob

Photo credit goes to Alex (aka Aksrockets)...he got the great shot. Yes, love those Mach diamonds. I may have to fly that M1780NT again, but this time purely for fun!

Congrads Mark, awesome looking rocket and a great build. Im trying for my 2nd L3 attempt at LDRS with my Ultimate Darkstar rebuild so I can relate to what goes thru one's head when something goes wrong. I hope mine turns out like yours.

Yup, I know the feeling of a bad cert day...not fun. But, having tossed it away once, I was a lot less worried the second go around. HOWEVER, the descent from 14k seemed to take about 2.3 hours for me, waiting for that main to come out. I kept getting the tone from my tracker, meaning the rocket was still in the air. That's all I had to let me know it was still in the air and not embedded into the ground since it was out of sight shortly after the apogee event. Still, sweet feeling to bring it back to the flightline with only a few scratches on it.

Last edited:
Back