Anyone have communication problems with Aerotech?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvgdgts

Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering if others have this problem, or if I'm lucky.

I started building my Strong Arm on Saturday and followed the instructions exactly. I pre-fitted the fins with the fin lock system and, although tight, they fit well. When I went to assemble them with the BT, I couldn't get the front portion to lock in. I pulled it apart, gently sanded the fin where it locks, tested the fit and tried again. Same thing happened. I took it apart and gently stretched the fin lock ring with a screwdriver and still no luck. I looked all around for something interfering with the fin and had no luck. I even have a BT that is bent in spots from me trying to push them together so hard before the CA dried.

I sent an email to Aerotech on Sunday. There was no response by Wednesday evening, so I sent another email. Still no response.

The whole thing is bizarre. The reviews on this model and most of their products are great. Being a popular company, I would think they would be quick to provide a simple reply. I sent it to [email protected] asking if the lower BT and fin lock/MMT could be replaced. I have also left a message from the number on their website.

Just for clarity, since I'm a noob around these parts, I don't usually complain about businesses or products w/o reason. I am mostly curious to know if this is a known issue.

I always try to do a good amount of problem solving before I make these posts. I definitely don't want to leave a bad taste in someon else's mouth undeservedly. But the 2 threads I found here specifically about a Strong Arm build didn't mention ny problems with the fin locks. I hope I just got a bad one, because there are 2 other Aerotech kits I want to build.

I cant help with the communication problem from Aerotech, as I havent had to ever contact them.
The fin lock units should not have to be stretched with a screwdriver. It sounds like you might have
a bit of something that has gotten in the way of the tab on the fin, like a glob of glue. Also check the
root surface of the fins, there should be no burrs there. Shine a flash light in the bottom end of the tube and
take a careful look at the mating surfaces.

I had a warranty claim a couple months back, email corespondance was very quick and my claim was handled promptly. Maybe you ended up in their spam folder? I'd try calling again.

I emailed AT a week or so ago about warranty issues. So response yet. Have you tried calling?

Alex

I cant help with the communication problem from Aerotech, as I havent had to ever contact them.
The fin lock units should not have to be stretched with a screwdriver. It sounds like you might have
a bit of something that has gotten in the way of the tab on the fin, like a glob of glue. Also check the
root surface of the fins, there should be no burrs there. Shine a flash light in the bottom end of the tube and
take a careful look at the mating surfaces.
I only used medium CA, so globs are non-existent. I checked every touching surface and couldn't find any type of obstruction. I also deburred everything before this step.

Maybe they are closed or vacation... I've had no problem getting responses from AT in the past on warranty or other questions. Give it a week. Post something to their Facebook page if you don't hear from them.
Right. Maybe I'll call back next week.

or the reply fall in the spam folder
Checked there. No luck.

I sent a link to Gary, to let him know you were looking for help. He replied saying that Karl has been on vacation, and should be back on Monday, thus the lack of response.

He also asked that you please call 435-865-7100 on Monday, so they can help you out.

-Kevin

I sent a link to Gary, to let him know you were looking for help. He replied saying that Karl has been on vacation, and should be back on Monday, thus the lack of response.

He also asked that you please call 435-865-7100 on Monday, so they can help you out.

-Kevin

That's great, troj. I really appreciate the help. Most of the company's I've done e-business with are larger and I think it's good to remember many of the rocketry sites are smaller and may have other issues that affect the business side of things.

I just wanted to do a follow-up to this. I was able to get in touch with them last Monday. We tried to figure out why I couldn't get the fins to lock in without success.

Anyway, I had a box from Aerotech with the needed goodies today and am back to building the Strong Arm. I may sand the centering rings for a tight, but more manageable fit and see if that helps. That is really the only thing I can think of that might have interfered with the fin lock fit.

I got my stuff too! Looks like I'll keep flying aerotech.

Alex

FWIW, I've found putting a spent motor or RMS case in the motor tube helps, when inserting a fin. Reduces flexing, so the fin has something firmer to push against.

FWIW, I've found putting a spent motor or RMS case in the motor tube helps, when inserting a fin. Reduces flexing, so the fin has something firmer to push against.

That's a great idea. I'll definitely do that. I did do a test fit last night and these fins and fin lock rings definitely work better than the 1st set.

Hey all. I was wondering if others have this problem, or if I'm lucky.

I started building my Strong Arm on Saturday and followed the instructions exactly. I pre-fitted the fins with the fin lock system and, although tight, they fit well. When I went to assemble them with the BT, I couldn't get the front portion to lock in. I pulled it apart, gently sanded the fin where it locks, tested the fit and tried again. Same thing happened. I took it apart and gently stretched the fin lock ring with a screwdriver and still no luck. I looked all around for something interfering with the fin and had no luck. I even have a BT that is bent in spots from me trying to push them together so hard before the CA dried.

I sent an email to Aerotech on Sunday. There was no response by Wednesday evening, so I sent another email. Still no response.

The whole thing is bizarre. The reviews on this model and most of their products are great. Being a popular company, I would think they would be quick to provide a simple reply. I sent it to [email protected] asking if the lower BT and fin lock/MMT could be replaced. I have also left a message from the number on their website.

I have 4 Aerotech rockets, 2 x Arreaux, the Astrobee D and the Strong arm, I also own their Mantis LP and their Interlock launch controller. When I put the launch controller together it was missing a small washer, which I could of easily picked up from Home Depot, but because at that time I only had my first Arreaux and wanted to rebuild it as a dual deploy as well as my eye on a few other models I put them to the test. I sent an email, received a call within a day and they mailed me the washer within the week. That is when I pulled the trigger on the other models plus the G-Force which I bought for my brother on his birthday.

Nothing but good things to say about them, great service and high quality flexible kits!

I'm glad you got the issue resolved. I have had a few dealings with Aerotech, asking for help because of things I lost or wrecked, and they were fast and very helpful. I have been very impressed with customer service and have always had great success with the products.

Back