Downfiring POV cam next to motor retainer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Reaction score
I have room in my current fiberglass 5.5 inch Nike smoke build for a hatch between the fore and Aft CRs and fins to place a POV camera like the Sony etc.

I have about 1.6 inches of space in the aft CR, between the motortube wall and the airframe, to drill a hole for the downfiring camera lens.

Has anyone done this?

Am I likely to fry the lens/camera from the heat? I could recess it slightly foreward of the CR hole for additional protection.

Not interested in key cam ideas.

I fly a camera mounted to the bottom of an upscale Deuce between the motors. No problems with exhaust on the camera.
This time on Skidmarks[YOUTUBE]6Zvm2PKO2Pk[/YOUTUBE]

That is awesome. Thanks for the video.

What camera are you using? Is it inside the airframe or mounted on Aft CR?

[video=youtube;IvSfHQNGfhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IvSfHQNGfhk[/video]

A little less than halfway through the above video, you can see an inset with video from a camera I mounted just inches from the nozzle of our "Big Daddy Akavish" rocket. It was an old P&S camera that had a broken LCD so I wasn't worried about losing or damaging it. As it turned out, it didn't even get dirty.

The biggest concern is probably at lift-off when exhaust might reflect off the blast deflector and smudge the lens. Using a longer rail/rod and lifting the rocket away from the blast deflector as far as possible would be a simple solution.

In spite of what you said about key cameras ... using a cheap camera at first wouldn't be a bad idea. Once you've used it, and seen that it isn't damaged, then you could use the more expensive camera.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back