Does anybody have any experience with Estes Loadstar II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldlizard

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Estes Loadstar II? This is my first multi-stage rocket, and some one told me that I need to tape the motors together. Is this correct, or do I follow the instructions and build the Booster stage as instructed? :confused:

P.S.
This will be a night rocket. :flyingpig:

I don't think taping the motors has any impact on how you build it. The current instructions say to tape the motors but the old ones don't. I did so on my one and only Loadstar (in fact one and only 2 stage) flight on Saturday. It went fine.

Though I did follow the new instructions to prep the motors, I do think the old instructions generally are vastly better than the ones that come with the kit now. They're here https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1760/Loadstar.pdf

Fred Garvin can tell you a thing or two about his Loadstar. Honestly, I never tape staged motors together. As I mentioned in Fred's thread, I quit taping motors when Estes decided it wasn't necessary back in the late 60's - early 70's? I've used the pop-n-go staging method ever since and never had an issue with it. I did on one occasion have a problem when I did tape them together, but that was before pop-n-go.

I've got a handfull of two-stage flights on my Loadstar II and I always tape the motors together, never had an issue with separation. I've typically used C6-5 for the upper stage, never tried a C6-7. (I dont' know that I'd want to.)

I have noticed it's very prone to pitching over into the wind, moreso than with other (single stage) rockets, but I think that's typical of 2-stagers.

By the way, if you find you're not getting enough excitement out of the flying it stock have a peek at the 24mm booster I made for my Loadstar, a configuration I refer to as my Loadstar 2.5.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?50023

Yeah....I could offer some advice.....considering my current thread on one....you might not want to take it.....

Flown the same rocket several times without tape. As long as the motors touch you'll be alright. If you find a large gap after construction, then either tape the motors or cut a small vent hole near the bottom of the upper stage to vent the cool air. Using the latter technique, you can get 10 inches or so of separation between stages, so says van Milligan.

I've built the Warp II... Same rocket, different name/paint/decals... Tape IMHO is optional. There are several rockets out there (e.g. Estes Magnum, Estes Comanche III, Semroc Omega) where there is no way to tape the booster motor to an/the upper stage. Just make sure that you get your motors installed properly, and you shouldn't have many problems. That said, I've had taped motors and un-taped motors both fail to ignite the upper stage and get that terror you get from the resulting ballistic projectile falling from the sky.

Don't put anything up there you can't live without. Rockets are like holes in the air you throw money into.

Back