Open Rocket Finishes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
I have been playing around with the "Component Finish" feature in Open Rocket and found that there is a big difference in "regular paint" and "smooth paint" finish, like hundreds of feet in altitude difference. I know my finishes are not pollished but they are pretty smooth. Is rattle can paint considered regular or smooth? Anyone else have any thoughts on OR finish definitions and which one is best suited for rattle can paint jobs.?

The program tends to overestimate altitudes, so you'll get the most accurate results with "regular" or the next rougher option even if the rocket was wet sanded with 1000+ grit.

I was just wondering what setting everyone else uses for a rattle can paint job?

I use regular paint if I'm using paint with no special treatment or sanding. I choose smooth paint if it's carbon fiber (which I usually sand up to 1200 grit and clear coat) or regular paint that I've sanded up that high.

Alex

Hi,

I checked a few example models, and the difference in altitude between regular and smooth paint is around 5%, between regular paint and polished about 10%. You shouldn't expect more than 10% accuracy from the simulations in any case.

Normal spray can paint I'd mark as regular paint. Good sanding with ~1000 grid sand paper would be smooth. Very good polishing would result as polished.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

The number after the finish indicates the approximate surface roughness height:

Rough (500 µm)
Unfinished (150 µm)
Regular paint (60 µm)
Smooth paint (20 µm)
Polished (2 µm)

The following provides some other points of reference for surface roughness heights:

Average glass - 0.1 µm
Finished and polished surface - 0.5 µm
Optimum paint-sprayed surface - 5 µm
Planed wooden boards - 15 µm
Paint in aircraft mass production - 20 µm
Smooth cement surface - 50 µm
Dip-galvanized metal surface - 150 µm
Incorrectly sprayed aircraft paint - 200 µm
Raw wooden boards - 500 µm
Average concrete surface - 1000 µm

Cheers,
Sampo N.