Show us your hummingbird photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
They sure are amazing creatures, aren't they? These are from my feeder at work.

hummingbirds1.jpg

hummingbirds2.jpg

hummingbirds8.jpg

hummingbirds3.jpg

hummingbirds5.jpg

Hummingbird+-+We+Can%27t+Go+On+Meeting+Like+This+-+LP+RECORD-448560.jpg

Man has not and will NEVER create anything as amazing as a hummingbird! They are truly awesome!

I envy your hummingbirds.
Where I live in Tennessee humming birds are a very rare sight, Ive only seen one this whole year and it was gone in a flash.
However we have an abundance of starlings, trade? :blush:

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic to share, but on Saturday I was outside talking on my phone when I turned around and saw one about 6 feet from me. He flitted around watching me for about a minute then scooted off. It's funny because we had a feeder out for over a year and never saw one, then this character shows up out of nowhere.

Maybe it was a government drone in disguise...

Man has not and will NEVER create anything as amazing as a hummingbird! They are truly awesome!

+1! I love humming birds, they are definantly the top fuel dragsters of the animal world, one of my favorite two, the second being Cuttle Fish, another truly amazing animal. An animal that can change color and texture.

[YOUTUBE]WqMNjUp6UeA[/YOUTUBE]

Fantastic photos Jim!! We see humming birds once in a while around our house. I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I see one.

Actually, there were seven different types of hummers there, but I had to look up most of the names we learned while visiting Portal. But we did get a bunch of good pics. of them:
Magnificent:
028.jpg

Broadtailed:
012.jpg

Rufus:
018.jpg

Broad Billed:
034.jpg

Another Magnificent:
049.jpg

Rarest Lucifer:
054.jpg

056.jpg

Black Chinned:
070.jpg

Blue Throated:
131.jpg

Another Lucifer:
180.jpg

They were the hardest to get a good shot of.

Broad billed again:
190.jpg

Broad tailed (I think):
236.jpg

[video=youtube;D2M8qWSR3vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2M8qWSR3vk[/video]

-- Roger

Twenty some years ago, my wife and I lived at a lighthouse on the southern Washington coast. We had two humming bird feeders by the kitchen windows. I counted 35 humming birds one day all trying to feed with others sitting various shrubs. We went through two quarts of feeder mix a day. When the feeders went dry or nearly empty the humming birds would look in through the kitchen windows and chirp. Many times I had the birds landing on my head or the feeders as I was filling them. I will see if I can find some the pictures or videos that we took.

Nice pictures everybody.

Man already has, ever heard of the Saturn V? Id rank that a bit over a humming bird any day :p

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic to share, but on Saturday I was outside talking on my phone when I turned around and saw one about 6 feet from me. He flitted around watching me for about a minute then scooted off. It's funny because we had a feeder out for over a year and never saw one, then this character shows up out of nowhere.

Maybe it was a government drone in disguise...

Government drone! :lol: They fly close to me sometimes, and they'll also fly down and look at my dog and cat. Just curious, I guess.

+1! I love humming birds, they are definantly the top fuel dragsters of the animal world, one of my favorite two, the second being Cuttle Fish, another truly amazing animal. An animal that can change color and texture.

That cuttlefish is amazing!

Fantastic photos Jim!! We see humming birds once in a while around our house. I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I see one.

Thanks! If you have flowers around, they're attracted to a lot of different ones.

Wayne and I went to Portal, Arizona, earlier this year and stayed at Cave Creek Ranch (https://www.cavecreekranch.com/). Wayne took some pictures we liked:

We identified 5 different species during our trip. Fantastic place.

I've heard about that place. Wayne got some awesome photos! The girls at work pitched in and got me a great book about hummingbirds, but I've only ever seen one or two different species here.

Twenty some years ago, my wife and I lived at a lighthouse on the southern Washington coast. We had two humming bird feeders by the kitchen windows. I counted 35 humming birds one day all trying to feed with others sitting various shrubs. We went through two quarts of feeder mix a day. When the feeders went dry or nearly empty the humming birds would look in through the kitchen windows and chirp. Many times I had the birds landing on my head or the feeders as I was filling them. I will see if I can find some the pictures or videos that we took.

Nice pictures everybody.

Wow, lived at a lighthouse? Must have been gorgeous there! Sounds like you had an incredible amount of hummers. The most I've ever counted here at one time was 9.

View attachment 142899View attachment 142900We had hummingbird moths a few years ago.

I used to see hummingbird moths when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in years. They sure are pretty!

Man already has, ever heard of the Saturn V? Id rank that a bit over a humming bird any day :p

Just because it was bigger, doesn't make it better or more amazing. Could the Saturn V hover or fly backwards? I realize that helicopters can do both those things, but hummingbirds don't need a machine to do it.

View attachment 142899View attachment 142900We had hummingbird moths a few years ago.

What in the world kind of flower is that?? Never seen a bug like that either.

When I was a kid, a tiny hummingbird got in the house... I thought it was an unusually large bug and nearly killed it with a flyswatter before I got close enough to realize what it was...

Later! OL JR :)

What in the world kind of flower is that?? Never seen a bug like that either.

When I was a kid, a tiny hummingbird got in the house... I thought it was an unusually large bug and nearly killed it with a flyswatter before I got close enough to realize what it was...

Later! OL JR :)

[SIZE=]That actually looks like a moth, we don't have humming birds around here but we do get these giant moths, especially around our night blooming jasmine, and moon flowers.[/SIZE]

Back